Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bhatti Brothers....

Blog Entries

Default The Bhatti Brothers....

......There, I have uttered the dreaded words, but seriously, on another thread people have compared Glenn Hoddle with those two people who tried to close down our great club. The Bhatti Brothers were the worse thing that has happened to Wolves in my lifetime.

But, and I cross myself as I type this, what if they had not taken over Wolves?
    Frank Munro, a Wolves legend.
    Out of darkness cometh light, out of Scotland came Frank.

I read something quite interesting posted on MolMix about them, which was about them having big plans for Wolves and their ideas were about 20 years prior to other clubs doing this type of thing with grounds, but the council wouldn't give them planning permission, so they lost all interest in the club.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    I read something quite interesting posted on MolMix about them, which was about them having big plans for Wolves and their ideas were about 20 years prior to other clubs doing this type of thing with grounds, but the council wouldn't give them planning permission, so they lost all interest in the club.
    Indeed the Bhattis had big plans, but not for Wolves, it was the ground they wanted. As for the council, one must remember that it was Councillor Bird of Wolverhampton Council who was one of the people who kept our great Club going.

It's really a bit before my time, but didn't they buy us when we had gone to the wall and they put plans in for a new Molineux with shops and hotel in it, but the council rejected the plans, so they lost interest and then all the other stuff started to happen. Apparently it was a race thing why the plans were rejected.

Blog Entries

In my opinion, it had nothing to do with race, that was a smokescreen.

And yes, we were on our way out of existence, but the Bhattis were determined to quicken that eventuality. The shops and hotel were going to be on the existing Molineux Football Ground.

6. Default

If the bid from Allied Properties (the Bhattis fronted by Derek Dougan and Doug Hope) hadn't have been successful with their purchase of WWFC then there was a 2nd bid on the table (fronted by Ken Wheldon and backed by SJH). The Bhattis had pinned there hope (no pun intended) on the re-development of Molineux. A development that would still have allowed for football to continue on the original site. Once they bought the club their proposals were rejected by the Council. The Bhattis were left with a football club and a stadium that were both in decline and no appetite or resources to fund the short term never mind the medium to long term future of the football club. I wouldn't go so far as to state that the Bhattis made a deliberate attempt to 'asset strip the club and develop the site without a stadium, but they certainly didn't appear to have any concerns about the footballing part of the site.

As for 'race' being an issue Penk, that is an uncorroborated view held by an anonymous poster on a message board, so without any hard evidence then I can't confirm or deny that allegation.
    Last edited by leedswolf; 19th June 2011 at 06:57 AM.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

I too have been told that Sir Jack had a rival offer on the table at the time the Bhattis took over, Leeds. I was also informed that he had his nose put out of joint to such an extent that when the Council tried to get him on board the next time it went tits up, in 86, he wouldn't have nothing to do with it. Which is why I get wound when Sir Jack is held up as our saviour.

As for the Bhattis, they bled us dry with the sole intention finishing us off.

8. Default

Wombourne, SJH was appointed as President of Wolves along with Chairman Dick Homden and Director Jack Harris. These 3 headed the consortium appointed to run the club when the Asda/Gallagher Estates bid was brokered by John Bird in 1986. SJH was part of the 1982 rival offer headed by Doug Ellis and Ken Wheldon.

My understanding if it is that Dick Homden and Jack Harris were installed as joint chairmen by Gallagher.

10. Default

I thought that Dick Homden was sole chairman until 88 and Jack Harris took over from him, but the consortium did comprise of SJH, Dick Homden and Jack Harris.

I didn't realise he was part of the consortium, Leeds. I always thought his involvement started with his purchase of the club in 1990.

For me, the real saviour of our club back in 86 was John Bird, he was the driving force in the effort to save us.

12. Default

Yep, SJH was part of Wolves from 86 when John Bird brokered the deal that saw the Council purchase the land for 1.2m and Gallagher Estates/Asda underwrite the Club's debts. The efforts of John Bird in convincing the council to become involved were mercurial given the national political climate at the time.

John Bird deserves the credit for being the force behind the rescue of Wolves, although i loved him as a player i never forgave Dougan for the part he paid in bringing the Bhattis to theClub.

Quote Originally Posted by ROVERT47 View Post
    John Bird deserves the credit for being the force behind the rescue of Wolves, although i loved him as a player i never forgave Dougan for the part he paid in bringing the Bhattis to theClub.
    I agree entirely with this, much as he loved Wolves and was a great player for us his ego and desire to effectively own the club nearly destroyed us in the end.

And leedswolf don't be shy about calling the Bhattis asset strippers, they sold everything down to the nets from the goals if that's not asset stripping I'd like to know what is.

I'm only relaying what was posted elsewhere, but they also claimed John Bird was just the mouth piece for someone else higher within the council, is this correct?

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    And leedswolf don't be shy about calling the Bhattis asset strippers, they sold everything down to the nets from the goals if that's not asset stripping I'd like to know what is.
    I didn't think I needed to qualify, but I will. I don't believe that the Bhattis were interested in the playing side of WWFC. They were interested in the land and the money they could make out of it. I don't believe for one minute that they were prepared to put a lot of resources into the club other than to keep things ticking over with the hope of the big payback on their 'investment' coming from the redevelopment of the Molineux 'site'. However when the brown stuff hit the fan it became obvious that there wasn't much substance to Allied Properties and they desperately looked to recover their 'investment' in any way they could without putting any more into the club. So as I first posted I do not think that the Bhattis original sole intention was to asset strip the club and develop the site without a football stadium.

Penk; "They have brought this town into disrepute, making Wolverhampton the butt of every comedian's jokes. We must have a talk as soon as possible to find out where Allied Properties' interests lie. On Saturday's performance, it is not in football." John Bird, The Leader of Wolverhampton Council. Not sure how higher up in the Council there is.
    Last edited by leedswolf; 19th June 2011 at 10:10 AM.

The Bhattis had no interest in the football side, had they had their way, Molineux would have ended up as a Retail Park. The Bhattis were only stopped in their tracks by the council.

I forgot to mention that the "B" word is forbidden in our household !!!!!!!

I find it ironic that the small building on waterloo road by the entrance to the road past what was Peal House to Molineux alley is owned by a set of accountants called Bhatti and Bhatti. I can't go past the ground without seeing the bloody name, even though they are obviously unconnected.
    Representing the members of Molineux Way against their will since 2012

What happened to The Bhattis after their debacle with us?
    Went back to Pakistan..or just Manchester?

21. Default

They went back to Saudi Arabia.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ROVERT47 View Post
    In hindsight, I agree, though I am sure that The Doog would have not got involved had he knew their true plans for Molineux.

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    In hindsight, I agree, though I am sure that The Doog would have not got involved had he knew their true plans for Molineux.
    Or Doug Hope for that matter.

Blog Entries

It's all before my time, but from my limited research, it's not quite as simple as the Bhattis running us into the ground, is it? We were already on our knees thanks to Ireland's low quality time at the helm, Marshall's folly in building the new stand at stupid expense and allowing Barnwell to spend all the Daley money on one injury-prone player and Ellis sending us into admin so he could try to pick the club up on the cheap, la Ken Bates. Cause and effect.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.
    My Twitter

25. Default

The Bhattis did inherit the debt associated with the construction of the John Ireland stand and had trouble servicing that debt. The Molineux Street Stand had to be replaced TBF DW.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    It's all before my time, but from my limited research, it's not quite as simple as the Bhattis running us into the ground, is it? We were already on our knees thanks to Ireland's low quality time at the helm, Marshall's folly in building the new stand at stupid expense and allowing Barnwell to spend all the Daley money on one injury-prone player and Ellis sending us into admin so he could try to pick the club up on the cheap, la Ken Bates. Cause and effect.
    The new stand was in my opinion one of the major factors in our decline. It pushed us way beyond our financial limits. I believe the plan was to eventually have a state of the art super stadium, but at that time football was in the doldrums anyway. Gates were down everywhere, hooliganism was still tarnishing the game, and not many people wanted to invest in football clubs. Despite this, Wolves went out on a limb, and disaster followed. So yes the seeds had been sown, but the Bhattis came in with all these grand designs, none of which ever came to fruition.

Blog Entries

Leeds: Yes mate, I understand that - hadn't it been condemned by the time we binned it off? We did spend too much in building it though as far as I have read and rather than using existing cashflow (which we are doing now) we borrowed the bulk of the money which was short-sighted at best.
    My Twitter

28. Default

Yep, it had been condemned. TBF The Waterloo Road and North Bank Stands were due to be replaced as well. A lot of the costs associated with the John Ireland Stand involved the purchase of 70 odd properties on Molineux Street to facilitate the construction of the new stand, the first phase of the proposed re-development of Molineux.

In 1978, Molineux's capacity had been reduced and plans were revealed for a new stadium which would have 30k seats.

Blog Entries

I suppose it then comes back to Ireland for letting the ground run into such disrepair when we were one of the top ten clubs in the country.
    My Twitter

Blog Entries

To be fair, around that time a lot of grounds were in poor condition, and needed a lot of work doing. For years Football Clubs had been happy to just herd fans in like cattle, with little regard for safety or comfort. In Wolves case, the ground had been in a bad state for years, and needed major surgery, but what it got was a wonderful new stand so far from the pitch that binoculars were a necessary accessory. And to borrow the money from banks at very high interest rates was not very clever. So prior to the arrival of the Bhatti Brothers, we were in an almighty mess.
    Ireland must shoulder some of the blame, but he was not alone. Why did no other board member see the folly of the new stand, and if they did, why did they not speak up.

All of the above does not absolve the Bhattis for what they did, and tried to do, and very nearly succeeded in doing.