• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

So How Good Are We?

I thought so.

But it was also a point worth making about Nuno.

What about when the bad weather kicks in? Sunday, Thursday, Sunday games...

We are fucking brilliant. We’ll be top four sooner rather than later.

If we're not in Europe next season I fully expect us to make a proper push for top 4.

I'd say only Liverpool and City have better 11s at the moment. You'd expect Spurs, Arsenal and Utd to sort themselves out eventually but I think Arsenal are a club in long term decline.

I actually think there are quite a few clubs with ‘better 11s’, but we are a better team.

I actually think there are quite a few clubs with ‘better 11s’, but we are a better team.

Our team spirit is worth far more than a lineup of galacticos. It's why we are far greater than the sum of its parts.

Who would you take from below? Personally I'd consider...

Arsenal - Lacazette, Aubameyang
Spurs - Alderweireld, Alli, Eriksen, Son, Kane
Chelsea - one of the CBs?, Kante, Willian, Pulisic
Man U - Wan Bissaka, Rashford, Pogba, Maguire
Leicester - Evans

Who would you take from below? Personally I'd consider...

Arsenal - Lacazette, Aubameyang
Spurs - Alderweireld, Alli, Eriksen, Son, Kane
Chelsea - one of the CBs?, Kante, Willian, Pulisic
Man U - Wan Bissaka, Rashford, Pogba, Maguire
Leicester - Evans

Lacazette, Aubamryamg.....yes
Son, Kane ......yes (even though he's a dick)
Kante...... all day long, my fav non Wolves player
Wan Bissaka, Rashford ...yes, Pogba...good god no, wouldn't fit our team ethos, Maguire....no, decent defender but not as good as Boly and imo no better then Saiss or Donck.
Evans.....thats a joke surely, must be close to drawing his state pension

There’s loads more outside of that list though. I’m not knocking our players, but collectively they play much much better than their individual talents suggest.

There are lots of players in the top flight arguably better than ours. There are a few better teams

I think our system makes the better player argument a difficult one. I really rate Maddison for instance, I'd have him start for England but I wouldn't have him on the left of our 3 or in our midfield 2 because I don't think he'd suit either. Vardy couldn't do the job Raul does for us, Wan Bissaka wouldn't offer enough going forwards etc etc.

How good are we ?
A lot of our excellent progress originates from the summer transfers of 2018 . Last summers transfers have not had anything near the impact .
If we are to clearly challenge for 4th then we need another good window .
For all our good work we are not scoring enough for a top 4 position . If we had more of a return from Jota in terms of goals then we'd be a serious team .
Also , our bench is weak enough in terms of making an impact with 20 to go . Neto is finally making progress and now we will be more courageous I think I'm terms of starting Kilman or Bennet and therefore allowing Saiss or Dendoc to play further up .
All in all we have far more options in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st half , bul we still need more goals up front to give up a fighting chance of finishing 4th or 5th .

Back