Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Top Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Dan View Post
    I've become a bit obsessed with Duolingo.

I originally tried it out to see if I could refresh my limited German but then my wife suggested I had a go at Norwegian as we are going there in August. Now I can't leave it alone! I sailed through the first phase pretty easily but as always happens with languages, I am coming unstuck now plurals and things are being introduced. Trying to learn/remember the difference between an apple / the apple / the apples for example is a bit tricky.

I am really enjoying it though, and if all else fails I at least know how to say 'Do you speak English?' in Norwegian
    It's ok, the methods are reasonable enough (way better than some of the other crap I've seen over the years) but ultimately it can only take you so far. There's no replacement for formalised learning and proper ground up structure. If you're serious about learning it properly then it's an "as well as" rather than "instead of". For a holiday though to somewhere you're not likely to go to very often, pretty good.

I started doing Italian on it but because there are so many relative similarities to French in terms of both vocab and structure (and I studied Latin many, many years ago too) the early levels were just a really dull grind where invariably I knew or could have a strong guess at the answer, so I stopped, it was about as much fun as playing the SPL with Celtic on the lowest skill level on FIFA. It's still on my phone, I might pick it up again one day, it'd be good if you could set a specific level to start from rather than having to go right from the start.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Yeah, I know it's only really useful to get me started but I'm just doing it for my own enjoyment rather than a serious attempt learn the language. I can't imagine being able to speak Norwegian is a skill I'd be likely to get much use out of!

It's fun though and quite addictive.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

Yeah, I know it's only really useful to get me started but I'm just doing it for my own enjoyment rather than a serious attempt learn the language. I can't imagine being able to speak Norwegian is a skill I'd be likely to get much use out of!

It's fun though and quite addictive.
    Det er ikke s vanskelig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I studied Latin many, many years ago
    Deutsch Boris?

If I ever start using it for no reason (and moreover, inaccurately) in normal conversation then you have my permission to clump me upside the head.

It was about 25 years ago as well.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Det er ikke s vanskelig.
    The language itself isn't difficult, it is my almost 40 year old memory that is the main problem!

How did you learn, did you teach yourself?

Twitter

If you did want to pick German back up Trev, just ask and I can help.

I wrote a massive grammar guide for beginners years ago but sadly this was pen and paper and it's long gone. Shame as I did a good job on that.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    If you did want to pick German back up Trev, just ask and I can help.

I wrote a massive grammar guide for beginners years ago but sadly this was pen and paper and it's long gone. Shame as I did a good job on that.
    Cheers mate. Unless, I get really into learning Norwegian I can't imagine keeping up with it too much after my holiday so I'll probably start back on the German.

Twitter

I've started using Duo Lingo again - the language improvements are great but it's also good just to get the mind working on something different for 10 minutes a day.
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

The language itself isn't difficult, it is my almost 40 year old memory that is the main problem!

How did you learn, did you teach yourself?
    Mostly self-taught, although I'd hardly consider myself fluent or even conversational. Not many Norsk speakers in north Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."