Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The Athletics Thread...

Well, a LITTLE nearer sixty than thirty...

oh good lord

12 years 7 months plays 17 years 5 months.

I am a fucking fossil.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

You've known me for longer than 12 years and 7 months too. Just sayin'.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

My eldest is 19 in two weeks as well. Fucks fucking sake. It's the countdown to the grave now, it really is.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy I've completed a marathon and I have no issues with my time! If I'd wanted to go faster I should have trained harder!

I only really shared it as a comparison, I'm not a terrible runner (1.47 half marathon PB) but the speeds Kipchoge was achieving for 26.2 miles was astounding!
    "FFS Costa" with or without an apostrophe?

Sorry, but seeing both Nike and Brailsford involved tarnishes the achievement for me. Not sure I believe anything I see in Athletics any longer, which is a shame.

The bloke has been nowhere near the disgraced Oregon project. And the Brailsford thing is bollocks - the man has NOTHING to do with athletics. He is only there because Ineos put the money up to make this happen and Ineos took over Sky in June. How dare you say it tarnishes the achievement with not a scintilla of evidence, let alone fucking proof? I think you are looking a right curmudgeon frankly.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Whether it was paced (and on a selected course) or not it's still an incredible feat.

Aiki - very respectable time - my elder son took somewhat longer to complete last years London Marathon (though his aim was merely to finish & raise funds)

Anyone who runs that far has my respect (as someone who struggled with anything over 400 metres I can't even contemplate that distance - though I was a fair sprinter at 100/200 m & long/triple jump when I was a little younger)
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Sorry, but seeing both Nike and Brailsford involved tarnishes the achievement for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    How dare you say it tarnishes the achievement.
    Not sure you can tell me how I feel about something.

Not sure I give a flying fuck about how you feel about me telling you how you feel.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Pad, this is not a fight to have right now. Back down mate.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Sorry Tony.

I am in a bad place and you got a couple of unfortunate bullets there. I genuinely apologise.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Sorry Tony.

I am in a bad place and you got a couple of unfortunate bullets there. I genuinely apologise.
    All good pal. Take care

Thank you for your understanding.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Sorry, but seeing both Nike and Brailsford involved tarnishes the achievement for me. Not sure I believe anything I see in Athletics any longer, which is a shame.
    Whilst I understand the Brailsford issue, although I don't belive it personally, it is some achievement to do this.

I like the peloton effect and much like Bannister did I think this will change running. I think we'll see peleton style racing in marathons to deliver the best runner to faster times.

I think this is a step change in athletics regardless of the personnel involved.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    Whilst I understand the Brailsford issue, although I don't belive it personally, it is some achievement to do this.

I like the peloton effect and much like Bannister did I think this will change running. I think we'll see peleton style racing in marathons to deliver the best runner to faster times.

I think this is a step change in athletics regardless of the personnel involved.
    Correct me if I'm wrong - usually am but it wasn't a peleton in the cycling sense. It was people who came on from the side to keep the pace. FWIW I'm not suggesting it wasn't genuine, just that after the week Nike have had and the suggestion that some of Brailsford's 'marginal gains' may be questionable I wish they weren't involved

Correct me if I'm wrong - usually am but it wasn't a peleton in the cycling sense. It was people who came on from the side to keep the pace. FWIW I'm not suggesting it wasn't genuine, just that after the week Nike have had and the suggestion that some of Brailsford's 'marginal gains' may be questionable I wish they weren't involved
    It was definitely a peleton as he was shielded from the front by 4 pacemakers in a wide line, 2 in behind to disrupt air flow and two behind to make sure he didn't slow down.

I'm not sure you can conflate Nike, Brailsford and this attempt.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.