Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105
Results 3,121 to 3,127 of 3127

Thread: The things that I really, really like thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    I played indoor as a kid. The game played on a much smaller length rink which was a mat only about 6 feet wide and with a block in the middle to prevent firing. I was pretty decent at about 16. One kid who came along in our village and I owned him pretty much every game ended up being an England international.
    Short mat bowls - play that during the winter season - very different set of skills needed.

Can still fire, but need to flirt with the edge of the block to do that.
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

As a leftie I would bowl a firing shot almost like a Malinga slingshot delivery in cricket. Arm pretty wide out. But you needed to know the angles well to avoid the block on the way to head as you weren't bowling with your eye behind the delivery.

Plus a lot of church halls and town halls where it was played were probably not exactly bowling green flat either. Fun game though.
    Don't wear no leather to fit in
    Don't wear no spikes to be cool
    Don't need no woman beside him
    Just make it fast loud and rude

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    As a leftie I would bowl a firing shot almost like a Malinga slingshot delivery in cricket. Arm pretty wide out. But you needed to know the angles well to avoid the block on the way to head as you weren't bowling with your eye behind the delivery.

Plus a lot of church halls and town halls where it was played were probably not exactly bowling green flat either. Fun game though.
    I know all about non - flat floors. There are a couple of teams we play in the league where on a couple of mats it's almost impossible to keep the wood on the mat as it wanders off in the opposite direction that it should.

We use the main hall of the outdoor clubhouse (which was intentionally built long enough to host this) - ours is pretty flat compared to some we have to play on.
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

The town hall I played in had space for three mats. You KNEW that if you were drawn on the right mat as you came in the entrance you had to get as close the edge of the mat as possible on the left hand side and would still need to trail the jack. Just zero point in trying a backhand (as it was for me as a leftie) on the other side of the block. It just wouldn't turn.

I liked that mat as I had the advantage as I was bowling forehand on the favourable side, but it was a little silly in hindsight.
    Don't wear no leather to fit in
    Don't wear no spikes to be cool
    Don't need no woman beside him
    Just make it fast loud and rude

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    I wish, but I'm not a fighting person. Although at one stage he did become so aggressive I wondered if he intended giving me a kick!
    Really? I've always thought "it's always the quiet ones" about you...that's why I'm polite to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablowolf View Post
    Really? I've always thought "it's always the quiet ones" about you...that's why I'm polite to you.
    If that's so, I pray I never offend ya!
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Nah...you know where the bodies are buried AND you had a hand in putting them there. That's what I reckon.

I've got my eye on you. (just the one, mind).