Page 104 of 108 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3228

Thread: The things that I really, really like thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Linguists are fucking cool, I'm telling you.
    A cunning linguist is even cooler!

Yeah, I used to teach TEFL occasionally when I lived abroad for a bit of extra cash in school holidays. Mainly involved saying 'that's just how it is'.
    )

Basically, we speak a language that makes no sense, at least from a linguist's point of view.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Same as our politics really. It's all cobbled together with no actual formal structure. How many other developed democracies do you know that don't have a proper constitution?
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Couple of times I've tried a language,I've got bogged down in grammar,and that puts me off,would just learning vocabulary help?
    I tried learning Welsh when I lived there,got as far as grammar again and gave up,but found out that just being there helped loads and ended up being able to do the bus tickets in Welsh, costs and all that, even ended up being able to chat real basic chats with passengers. I can do very basic Czech as well through being in Prague a few months, mmm perhaps I need to move to Russia/Belarus or Ukraine, or just get on t'internet and get on the Russian dating sites(they all want to move here though,I'd be wanted to move the other direction)
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

You've got to have grammar in there somewhere, without it it's like building a house without foundations.

Duolingo doesn't bombard you with it but some of the exercises will subtly nudge you in the direction of learning it by osmosis. Even as an old bugger who is sceptical about people learning languages by non-conventional methods, I am impressed with it. It's not the answer if you want formal qualifications but it's a bloody good starting point.

Like I say though, I'm a linguistic nerd. I used to be able to write properly in phonetics. Can't do it now like. I regularly used to read Hammer's German Grammar (the Bible for German structure, sadly not written by MC Hammer) just for relaxation. A boy's got to have some kind of a break from a hedonistic lifestyle.

Twitter
    Facebook

Cool,I'll look into it,thanks for that,always good to get a knowledgable view on stuff,I never used my TEFL qualification,which I did thinking it would come in handy to earn cash on one of my bike rides,places I was aiming for,being an English speaker would probably have been enough tbh

Teaching is difficult, I don't really have the mindset for it. The knowledge is fine (well, I hope so) and I'm ok at explaining things, but I can't deal with people dicking about. It's not for everyone.

I don't currently use my languages for anything, I just keep on top of it so I don't lapse and also it helps me keep mentally sharp. Not a great deal to it, just read the papers most days, occasionally I'll look at one of my work documents and translate it just for myself to prove I can, keeps the mind active.

The only thing I'd say with Duolingo is that it does pitch you at a very low level to start with. And when I did the Italian course, because I speak French and German, and studied Latin, I didn't really have to try very hard for the first few stages. And I like a challenge, not an easy win.

Don't copy me though, I'm no role model

Twitter
    Facebook

If it helps I like the instant language series that give you the basics in a few weeks. Grammatically its not perfect but you can make yourself understood. When I had au pairs I studied spanish and a bit of Italian. That was 20 years ago so rusty doesn't cover it!
    Instant Spanish and instant Italian were perfect short courses to get your confidence up cheaply. Its the 80/20 rule. You get 80% there for 20% of the cost and time
    reserves the right to be grumpy until we sign some more quality

10-15 years ago there used to be some proper fraudulent shit knocking around. Listen to these tapes and you'll be fluent in six weeks, that kind of thing. Tae fuck. Might as well stick some magic beans in the box.

All depends what you want out of a language. Be able to conduct a conversation, get by on a holiday, get a qualification, use it for business, become a genuine expert, it's a huge range.

Twitter
    Facebook

I'm looking at just a conversational level,for the countries I'm interested in and like visiting(think Soviet Union)Russian seems to cover most of them,especially in the middle of nowhere and it's an elderly lady behind the counter,younger people tend towards speaking English

Then Duolingo will probably do you for that kind of level.

Thankfully it doesn't just teach you stock phrases because what bloody good is that when someone asks you a question...

Languages are just memory tricks and logic puzzles for the most part. And it helps if you're a good mimic. It's not that impressive, seriously.

Twitter
    Facebook

Delphiniums. They really are beautiful.

This farmer providing live video and commentary of the morning "rush hour" is just great.

https://twitter.com/RVT9/status/1155...578521601?s=19
    Last edited by The Bear; 29th July 2019 at 02:47 PM.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    This farmer providing live video and commentary of the morning "rush hour"...

https://twitter.com/RVT9/status/1155...578521601?s=19
    Great stuff! Thank you from Mrs HW.
    We never lose. We either win or we learn.

My first ever Wolves Season Ticket has arrived. I'm over the bloody moon

Very lucky to have it so enjoy.
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Hullis View Post
    Very lucky to have it so enjoy.
    I feel very lucky Stan, very lucky indeed

Played a bowls match last night against a team who are mainly, frankly a bunch of cunts. They have a faux swagger, and a sense of self importance. Think they're a lot better than they are.
    They won the match quite easily. I was one of the last on. I played their captain. He'd been around the green earlier, swearing a hell of a lot (I wondered if he was related to paddy...) and generally being annoying. I appreciate that in most sports there will be forms of banter, bordering on sledging, but this team were simply unpleasant.
    Anyway, went on the green. Initially he started well, but I got the jack and went on a mark I know and like. He was getting wound up, swearing more and more. I knew that he'd effectively beat himself if I could hold onto the jack.
    He got worse as the game went on. He did get the jack back and changed the mark, and when he started winning, the comments that he was shit etc stopped. we went from me being 14-6 up, to him being 16-14 up. It was then nip and tuck for a bit, but I got the jack back and went on my mark again.
    He clearly didn't like it and started making snide comments. I made sure throughout the game I remained chirpy. I smiled, whistled, and was exceptionally pleasant and polite. He became more and more curt, and as the game progressed, became more snide. He also tried a few mind games, like suggesting the piece I was playing was easy. I pointed out if it was easy he';d have found it a lot easier to take the jack off me.

TL,DR, I beat the sour faced fuck, and felt really really fucking good about it.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Played a bowls match last night against a team who are mainly, frankly a bunch of cunts. They have a faux swagger, and a sense of self importance.

TL,DR, I beat the sour faced fuck, and felt really really fucking good about it.

Not a housecoat in sight and look at the state of them.

Not even crown green, fucking amateurs.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

is David Bryant still going ? That is my entire knowledge of bowls by the way
    I have 2 friends

Might be in the club game, but he is 87

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Played a bowls match last night against a team who are mainly, frankly a bunch of cunts. They have a faux swagger, and a sense of self importance. Think they're a lot better than they are.
    They won the match quite easily. I was one of the last on. I played their captain. He'd been around the green earlier, swearing a hell of a lot (I wondered if he was related to paddy...) and generally being annoying. I appreciate that in most sports there will be forms of banter, bordering on sledging, but this team were simply unpleasant.
    Anyway, went on the green. Initially he started well, but I got the jack and went on a mark I know and like. He was getting wound up, swearing more and more. I knew that he'd effectively beat himself if I could hold onto the jack.
    He got worse as the game went on. He did get the jack back and changed the mark, and when he started winning, the comments that he was shit etc stopped. we went from me being 14-6 up, to him being 16-14 up. It was then nip and tuck for a bit, but I got the jack back and went on my mark again.
    He clearly didn't like it and started making snide comments. I made sure throughout the game I remained chirpy. I smiled, whistled, and was exceptionally pleasant and polite. He became more and more curt, and as the game progressed, became more snide. He also tried a few mind games, like suggesting the piece I was playing was easy. I pointed out if it was easy he';d have found it a lot easier to take the jack off me.

Did you take him into the car park for a good shoeing once the result was confirmed?

I say we should have a bowls thread that I can ignore...

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post

Not a housecoat in sight and look at the state of them.
    Bet they all pop their housecoats on after the game, when having a cuppa!

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    Not even crown green, fucking amateurs.
    I play crown green - proper game

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    You mean you've forgotten Tony Allcock?

Quote Originally Posted by Pablowolf View Post
    Did you take him into the car park for a good shoeing once the result was confirmed?
    I wish, but I'm not a fighting person. Although at one stage he did become so aggressive I wondered if he intended giving me a kick!

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I say we should have a bowls thread that I can ignore...
    TBH there'd only be me and parkin on there. That said, if langers can have his dr who thread, we might want ours.

You mean you've forgotten Tony Allcock?
    I remember that being my pet name for you at one time
    I have 2 friends

You have so many, I forget them all!

Flat Green is a more polite scenario - anyone acting like that would have been ordered off the green & the match awarded to the opponent. Then again had to intervene between the team skip & no 3 (was playing in a four's league game) a couple of weeks back to stop them coming to blows - & we were (supposedly) all on the same team

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Irrelevant fact - David Bryant was the Guest of Honour when we opened the new clubhouse in 2002

TBH there'd only be me and parkin on there. That said, if langers can have his dr who thread, we might want ours.
    Always good to talk to you Warren
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

I played indoor as a kid. The game played on a much smaller length rink which was a mat only about 6 feet wide and with a block in the middle to prevent firing. I was pretty decent at about 16. One kid who came along in our village and I owned him pretty much every game ended up being an England international.

It's probably very niche. I was also really good at Aunt Sally. Really good for Faringdon way. I would have been considered a beginner by the standards of those from Abingdon, but they sleep with their sticks, the bloody weirdos.

2. Low Hill at Christmas