Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148
Results 4,411 to 4,423 of 4423

Thread: The NFL Thread

I'm not as sympathetic I'm afraid. Brees is your classic God bothering, land of the free, flag worshipping, Texan American that Trump plays to. That's what he was thinking of and has been shamed into climbing down, not because he's had an epiphany but because he's been shamed into it.

Malcolm Jenkins is a hero and letting him go because of your QB's own insecurity was a pathetic decision by Philly.

Agreed Tony.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    I'm not as sympathetic I'm afraid. Brees is your classic God bothering, land of the free, flag worshipping, Texan American that Trump plays to. That's what he was thinking of and has been shamed into climbing down, not because he's had an epiphany but because he's been shamed into it.

Malcolm Jenkins is a hero and letting him go because of your QB's own insecurity was a pathetic decision by Philly.
    You can be shamed into an epiphany.

I was severely disappointed in Drew yesterday. Apologizing is at least showing some measure of humility. That's more than a lot would do.

Also, for the record, Dallas is a fairly liberal city. The urban centers in Texas are almost all liberal. It's the Texas outside those city limits that gets a little... Problematic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joćo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

He went to high school in Austin - much more liberal than Dallas. But pretty much every white person (and many latinos) I know here would consider destroying the flag to be a capital offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You can be shamed into an epiphany.

I was severely disappointed in Drew yesterday. Apologizing is at least showing some measure of humility. That's more than a lot would do.

Also, for the record, Dallas is a fairly liberal city. The urban centers in Texas are almost all liberal. It's the Texas outside those city limits that gets a little... Problematic.
    Maybe. You are way closer to what's going on over there than i am. I guess I'm used to UK footballers fucking up and 'helped' to pull together a statement of contrition by their agent/club. It just feels like that to me.

Thanks for the information on Texas, i appreciate it's larger than the UK in size but it's easy to have a one size fits all stereotypical view from over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Maybe. You are way closer to what's going on over there than i am. I guess I'm used to UK footballers fucking up and 'helped' to pull together a statement of contrition by their agent/club. It just feels like that to me.

Thanks for the information on Texas, i appreciate it's larger than the UK in size but it's easy to have a one size fits all stereotypical view from over here.
    No worries. Texas' reputation is far from unearned, but the metropolitan areas can and will surprise people are expect a ton of Tea Partiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joćo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

Okay.

Politically, Texas can now be considered a swing state in Presidential elections, and sooner or later it will vote Democrat. Internally it is still a Republican stronghold.

Culturally it is not at all liberal, and patriotism is very important. No confederate flags, but US flags in many front gardens. The view from my store is dominated by a flag flown by the petrol station over the road.

San Antonio is now officially the 7th largest city in the US, but is still essentially an oversized small town (according to its own residents).

The Republican chairman of Bexar County (San Antonio) has claimed this week that the whole George Floyd death is a hoax designed to weaken li'l donny. She previously claimed that the coronavirus is a democrat hoax.

Remember Dan Patrick (2nd highest TX state politician) "There are more important things than living".

Ted Cruz ('nuff said)

Last night on local tv, the LOCAL sports section (less than 5 minutes) started with Drew Brees and his apology. No opinion offered, but the presenter is very much a "good ole boy".

To be fair, there have been protests about George Floyd in SA every night for a week and the local tv coverage is much more sympathetic than it has ever been before. (this may be a turning point)

I was Houston last year and really liked it, had a nice feel to it. Supposed to be in Austin later this year, but no idea if that will happen. Was quite looking forward to it as I’ve heard good things.
    )

Unknown number of Cowboys and Texans players test positive for covid-19:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...Is6?li=BBnb7Kz

The Eagles have 3 players who it can be argued are the best in the NFL.at their position, Brandon Brookes is one of them so snapping his Achilles in the off season and being out for the season already in American terms sucks.

Cam Newton on a 1 year deal to the Patriots. I find it difficult to see Newton and Belichick being a match made in heaven.
    The poster formerly known as...

Newton isn't a scheme quarterback, which is an issue when you've got a slot WR and little else. He'll have to have 1000 yd season rushing to get anything done

His arm is distinctly average, loves an overthrow. Neither Mķchel or White are Christian McCaffrey either
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing