Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de France

Tour de France

Despite losing Wiggins in the big crash the other day, it really is turning into a cracking race.

Appalling stuff today though - five riders away in a long break and had about 5 minutes clear and a press car swerves and knocks one of them to the tarmac and another into a barbed wire fence. Fucking ridiculous by the press car.

Pyrenees soon though and I think it is going to be great in the mountains.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Fucking disgrace.

Both of the cyclists who went down finished but lost over twenty minutes on the field when they should have gained about 5 on them. Hoogerland, who went into the wire was absolutely covered in blood at the end - awful cuts to his back and legs.

That driver should never be allowed near the tour again. Apparently a car used by antenne 2 to get special guests near the front of the race. They should fuck that idea off, and just have the camera bikes, team cars and medics allowed on the roads. Ridiculous stuff.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

The driver shouldn't be allowed near a fucking road, let alone the tour.

They were told to move aside for the team cars to move up to provide bidons for the breakaway.

Instead the driver decided to overtake using the verge but hadn't seen (or misjudged) a tree up ahead, resulting in him taking out Flecha and at 60km/h leaving Hoogerland with nowhere to go.

Anyway, injuries aside it's been a great first week and I'm really looking forward to the next fortnight, particularly the mountains and our TdF gathering/drinking games on Saturday!
    If it takes ten to kill you, I'll take nine

Thursday looks a great stage. A first category climb makes its debut on the tour, then the Tourmalet and then the climb to Luz Ardiden
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Next Thursday and Friday for me, a catergory 1 and 5 Hors should shake things up a little!

The car has been thrown out of the tour.

Mark Cavendish won the 11th stage. Well done sir.

Anyone else see the ITV4 documentary last night, following the HTC team on a previous Tour.

I thought it was excellent - really captured the utter madness of hurtling down a massive mountain on 2cm of rubber with only lycra and a small plastic hat for protection.

I particularly enjoyed the anecdote about hardened journalist bursting into tears of fear as the cars try to keep up with the bikes on the descents.

I have to say, much against my better judgement, I really enjoy ITV's coverage of cycling.

ITV 4 are doing a fantastic job. It does help that they have the original and best Channel 4 commentary team with Liggett, Sherwin and Imlach. Boardman seems to be a very useful addition as well.

Yesterday's stage was superb. Well done to Geraint Thomas for being in the lead two over the Tourmalet, and for a moment I thought he might just hold on to the finish, but hte climb to Luz Ardiden is an absolute brute. Good to see the drug cheat Contador lose a little more time as well. Clearly not the rider he was for some strange reason...
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    I have next to no interest in the Tour........huge amounts of respect for those doing it (and more for Geoff Thomas who did the course not longer after his recovery). However I have not seen much of the tour splattered across the news/interweb, so do I presume the drugs test are coming back clean? (I've seen 1 failed so far on SSN)

Such a shame for the sport that it only gets mass media coverage when the riders are higher than the mountains they cycle up.

Just the one failed test. A rider on team katusha who were born out of a split in the old astana team iirc. Astana have long been thought to be doping so not a great shock if very disappointing. What gets my goat is contador being allowed to compete. UCI found him guilty of
    Doping and the Spanish federation cleared him with no evidence at all. Worse than the Welsh ra with cardiff players.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I have next to no interest in the Tour........huge amounts of respect for those doing it (and more for Geoff Thomas who did the course not longer after his recovery). However I have not seen much of the tour splattered across the news/interweb, so do I presume the drugs test are coming back clean? (I've seen 1 failed so far on SSN)

Such a shame for the sport that it only gets mass media coverage when the riders are higher than the mountains they cycle up.
    Unlike, say, tennis and football...

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blog...on-puerto.html

When Fuentes' lab was raided I think there were about 200 files on athletes of whom around 40 were cyclists (I don't have the exact numbers to hand). Some of the named cyclists claimed to have seen a number of famous La Liga players at the lab.

I hope Pad that if you dislike Contador competing you must, like me, detest the fact that Lance Armstrong is so revered for flying up mountains to catch brilliant climbers like Marco Pantani when he was drugged to the eyeballs.

The Spanish authorities have accepted Contador's explanation and cleared him to race.

It's them you should have the 'beef' with, they are the one's who didn't stick to UCI / WADA guidelines - strict liability should have applied and Contador should have been made to prove his innocence before being aloud to compete.

Personally I just think he's fucked after the Giro. Or sandbagging (risky)

Contador ate a steak from the one cow so high on clenbuterol that it could cause a positive test. It is one hell of a coincidence.

The Spanish authorities attitude to it was disgraceful and an insult to WADA.

Regarding Armstrong and Pantani, it is a difficult one. For a start il parata was absolutely out of his face on everything that wasn't performance enhancing. Cokehead doesn't even cover it. I loved watching him fly up mountains though - brilliant climber and a terrible shame when he died. Armstrong has never given a positive, but I really have no idea how. One day, the full details of what le monde have on him will surely come out. Floyd Landis is probably telling the truth, but his testimony is so tarnished by his own positives that it can't hold water. In my mind, Armstrong's achievements do have to be questioned - as the man himself said - "it's not just about the bike".

Although Contador is high on my hit list, my main hate figure is thankfully now life banned (I think). Ricardo Ricco was an utter disgrace.

Mind you, we Brits can hardly complain and take the moral high ground. David Millar tested positive, and Tom Simpson was a drug factory when they peeled his body of the Ventoux in 1968.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

In Simpson's time doping was the norm, if you didn't indulge you weren't going to be competitive and would almost certainly be 'shunned' by the rest of the peloton. Not the kind of help you need when you're trying for sponsorship etc. to kick on.

I honestly believe the clenbuterol in Contador's system was accidental ingestion as there's absolutely no benefit from using it during a grand tour, but not in the manner he claims.

My theory is he took a blood transfusion on the rest day (an offence in itself) using a batch contaminated previously - whether that be from a deliberate course or from eating dodgy beef (it's well known that Astana were training in the Canaries where local farmers use it for cattle)

Unfortunately for him Astana's testing wasn't as sensitive to pick up the trace amount that lead to his fail.

Some very interesting rumours going on concerning Armstrong (Tour de Suisse positive disappearing after his generous donation to the UCI) but as you say, most of the claims are from discredited men.

I'm glad cycling has cleaned up it's act, it needed to change and I'm sure the peloton is cleaner than it's ever been.

Anyway, back to the bike racing...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Contador ate a steak from the one cow so high on clenbuterol that it could cause a positive test. It is one hell of a coincidence. Hmm, let's check about coincidences

The Spanish authorities attitude to it was disgraceful and an insult to WADA.

Regarding Armstrong and Pantani, it is a difficult one. For a start il parata was absolutely out of his face on everything that wasn't performance enhancing.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/...or-july-4-2006

The doctor gave 'PTI' more than 40,000 units of EPO, seven doses of growth hormone, thirty doses of anabolic steroids and four doses of hormones used to treat menopause. Anything in there you'd not class as performance enhancing??

Cokehead doesn't even cover it. I loved watching him fly up mountains though - brilliant climber and a terrible shame when he died. Great climber and full of peformance enhancing drugs, yet continually matched by Armstrong on very tough climbs. Perhaps more coincidental than a tainted cow?

Armstrong has never given a positive, but I really have no idea how.

Really?? http://nyvelocity.com/content/interv...chael-ashenden

BTW, Bjarne Rijs, TDF winner, never tested positive - confessed to using EPO, Michael Rasmussen, kicked out TDF by his team when in yellow and destined to win, never tested positive, Marion Jones, never tested positive.

One day, the full details of what le monde have on him will surely come out. Floyd Landis is probably telling the truth, but his testimony is so tarnished by his own positives that it can't hold water. In my mind, Armstrong's achievements do have to be questioned - as the man himself said - "it's not just about the bike".
    + Tyler Hamilton and don't forget the other riders on US postal/Discovery who rode their asses off for those LA wins and have subsequently tested positive

Although Contador is high on my hit list, my main hate figure is thankfully now life banned (I think). Ricardo Ricco was an utter disgrace.

No problem with questioning Contador, but where you put LA on your "hitlist" tells me how seriously I'll take your views on this. So where would you place him?

Mind you, we Brits can hardly complain and take the moral high ground. David Millar tested positive, and Tom Simpson was a drug factory when they peeled his body of the Ventoux in 1968.
    comments in bold above

I see your comments and have no idea why you are addressing them to me in such an aggressive way.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

I see your comments and have no idea why you are addressing them to me in such an aggressive way.
    Soz Paddy. Was pissed, no excuse.

Don't fret about it. My comment on non-enhancing on pantani is wrong and was based on him being coke-filled when he died.

If Armstrong is ever proven as a cheat rather than the current situation of probably being a cheat then he goes to the top of the hate list.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Another stage win for the Manx Missile. Surely the greatest individual British sportsman around? If he wins the Green Jersey, having been robbed twice of the Sports Personality of the Year Award, surely he'll get it this time? Surely?
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

If he gets the jersey he will come second to Darren Clarke
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon Wolf View Post
    Another stage win for the Manx Missile. Surely the greatest individual British sportsman around? If he wins the Green Jersey, having been robbed twice of the Sports Personality of the Year Award, surely he'll get it this time? Surely?
    Sadly no. Cycling is not at the forefront of British Sports and a lot of people have no clue who he is or how good he is.

More likely that Darren Clarke will win that now

While the SPOTY is done by public vote cyclists have no chance. When a panel decide it then maybe.

I will predict now:

1st Clarke
    2nd Cavendish
    3rd McIlroy

Of course, if a Man United player is on the list that will fuck it up for everyone.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Don't fret about it. My comment on non-enhancing on pantani is wrong and was based on him being coke-filled when he died.

If Armstrong is ever proven as a cheat rather than the current situation of probably being a cheat then he goes to the top of the hate list.
    Ta man, you are class. I love that Ashenden article by the way. As a non cyclist and only a viewer of cycling that shed a lot of light on things for me.

Though LA can in many ways be considered an inspiration it seems to me he has done more than anyone to prevent the truth coming out. This included chasing down Simeoni on a breakaway once because he had testified to obtaining drugs from the same doctor that Armstrong used. Even now LA is seemingly spending loads on lawyers to prevent disclosure of matters into the public domain. When I've read cycling forums, LA's alleged doping is generally not even discussed, it seems to be presumed. According to Bernard Kohl, you can't win the tour without doping anyway, but if Contador is dirty (and as well as the "meat contamination" I thought there were traces of plastic (ie from a blood bag) found in his test) then it also makes me wonder how he didn't manage to beat AS by a lot more last year.

Back to the tour, I was a bit disappointed with Saturday and I felt AS should have really gone for it. He looked pretty strong to me on that stage and with a rest day looming I reckon it was a missed opportunity. It seems he's still targetting Contador but if he's not careful he'll run out of time to dislodge Evans who rides a decent TT.

The plasticisers rumour has never been confirmed, could certainly suggest blood doping in this case (all things considered) though I had read it's by no means absolute proof. I'm not sure he needs to cheat tbh, look at his Giro performance this year when you'd expect him more than ever to be clean.

Great stage today, warming up lovely now for a good few days in the Alps...

Surprised by Schleck losing time there - he cracked on a climb that isn't that tough - fucking hell even Cavendish stayed close.

Cadel Evans looked excellent today. This will all be decided on the Galibier and up to Alpe d'Huez
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Surprised by Schleck losing time there - he cracked on a climb that isn't that tough - fucking hell even Cavendish stayed close.

Cadel Evans looked excellent today. This will all be decided on the Galibier and up to Alpe d'Huez
    Yes - it's shaping up to be quite an interesting one. I'll be there on Friday on Alpe d'Huez and I think if there is anything left to decide by then - that's where it will be concluded. Mind you they have the time-trial the day after, so if it's still close that could make the difference. Fancy Evans to take the Yellow although Contador looked a lot sharper today. Would be superb if Voeckler could hang on to it though.

I would love Voeckler to keep hanging on. He is trying gamely and really punching above his weight.

I assume there will be the usual half a million on alpe d'huez. Mental climb, that one.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota