Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Left Back

Left Back

We all know that we could do with signing a left back, but I will add something extra in the mix.

Currently, as it stands, Cameroon are 3rd in group E behind Congo and Senegal, the chances are they will beat Mauritius, who sit on zero points, in their next game and Congo will probably lose away to Senegal. This will mean if Cameroon get a win or a draw, away, in their final game to Congo we could lose George to the African Cup of nations.

Surely this has got to be something that Mick has in the back of his mind, so will he risk relying on Wardy and the kids (who long is Malone's Loan?), or does he need to bring someone in who hopes can make the step up?

I really wouldn't be surprised if we ended up taking a punt on someone from the Championship, or a smaller European league. We simply need more depth there - as you say, the possibility of only having one left-back in January, and one who's really a striker at that, is not reassuring.

There just aren't any decent left-backs of the quality we'd like available within our price range at the moment, it seems. We could still announce a surprise signing in the next two weeks but I'm not holding my breath.

Malone's at Bournemouth until January.

Good shout though, if Cameroon qualify, it leaves us with an issue. Although because of the screwed up system of qualifying, second place may not be good enough for them even if they win both their games. It really is a mess, one group has five teams although every other one has four - surely they could have put a system in place (an additional stage of qualifying first, let's say) to start off with an easily divisible number of teams. Or nine groups of five rather than ten of four and one five! Then there appears to be no seeding at all, as you say Senegal and Cameroon are in the same group, so are Morocco and Algeria, so are South Africa and Egypt. But Zambia, Libya, Mozambique and Comoros (whoooooo?) get a group of their own. Crazy stuff.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Not to mention the mighty Botswana cruising their group that I reckon Wales would win with maximum points.

Of course, if Congo beat Cameroon then Albion lose Mulumbu for the tournament.

I think we have to be looking to get someone in. If we can't find a first choice then we need some cover just in case.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

According to the BBC Comoros is one of the poorest African nations with over 20 political coups in the last 40 years !
    Quite an achievment !!
    Your friends list is empty

Jinky is online now PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    I can't see us signing anyone else this window. The comments coming out of the club last week weren't positive. And to be fair, I'm absolutely amazed we're looking like letting another window go by without signing another left back.

I think they are trying to sign one but publicly putting out the 'were not signing anyone else, unless someone comes along' line.
    Your friends list is empty

Poster on Mol Mix reckons Ridgewell will sign before the end of the week.

I know him personally and he's not the sort to dish out dodgy rumours for attention, but his source is tenuous to say the least.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I'd rather play Elokobi or Ward than Ridgewell.

Yes, we need a LB but I'd rather improve on what we have. I don't rate Ridgewell at all. And he looks like Count Duckula crossed with Darth Maul.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    And he looks like Count Duckula crossed with Darth Maul.

I'm quite sure that the club is desperately scrabbling around Europe looking for someone suitable. Jez is hardly going to say that we're looking for a left-back, only to see all the prices double. He's far too clever for that.

When in January is Malone's loan up?

For some reason January 7 rings a bell.

However it would be very tough for him to go League One -> Premier League overnight, even if only for a short spell.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post

However it would be very tough for him to go League One -> Premier League overnight, even if only for a short spell.
    I think the 7th was Batth, Malone may have been a bit earlier, the 2nd possibly.

I'd take Ridgewell over Elokobi, he wouldn't be my first choice by any means but i think he'd be an improvement over George, at least we wouldn't see every other ball down the line going out of play anymore.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post

Is Jamie Reckord still at the club? He's supposed to be highly thought of, but is even less experienced than Malone.

Quote Originally Posted by Law's Bus View Post
    Is Jamie Reckord still at the club? He's supposed to be highly thought of, but is even less experienced than Malone.
    Yep.

The club are crap with this kind of thing - all of Malone, Reckord and McCarey were due to run out of contract a few weeks ago. They're all still here but at no point did we ever announce anything at all.

Reckord's loan spell at Northampton wasn't great but hardly the best club to be at last season, they were a mess.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    I'd take Ridgewell over Elokobi, he wouldn't be my first choice by any means but i think he'd be an improvement over George, at least we wouldn't see every other ball down the line going out of play anymore.
    This... emphatically.

For where we areas a club right now, Liam Ridgewell at about Ģ1.5m - Ģ2m would do us just fine.

Ridgewell the bloke who used text messages to inform the guests his marriage was cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Knows View Post
    Ridgewell the bloke who used text messages to inform the guests his marriage was cancelled.
    Well i wouldn't have thought he'd really be in the mood to talk to people in that situation.

I think this thread needs a Poll.

ridgewell the own goal machine is probably a more important consideration. he is fucking gash. elokobi is far superior.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    ridgewell the own goal machine is probably a more important consideration. he is fucking gash. elokobi is far superior.
    Calling Elokobi vastly superior to any football is brave, he hasn't even mastered the basics of kicking a football.

I dont remember anyone having reservations about Richard Dunnes own goal record when we were linked with him.

Is Ridgewell the best left back around? No, not by a long shot, is he a better all rounder than what we have? Definately. Ward isn't great defensively but he's a tidy footballer, Elokobi can be solid but isn't a footballer. Ridgewell is pretty solid and is better on the ball than George so for me its a happy compromise.

Calling Elokobi vastly superior to any football is brave, he hasn't even mastered the basics of kicking a football.

I dont remember anyone having reservations about Richard Dunnes own goal record when we were linked with him.

Is Ridgewell the best left back around? No, not by a long shot, is he a better all rounder than what we have? Definately. Ward isn't great defensively but he's a tidy footballer, Elokobi can be solid but isn't a footballer. Ridgewell is pretty solid and is better on the ball than George so for me its a happy compromise.

In your opinion, i'll stick with the opinion of a Premier League Football Team Manager.

Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by ROVERT47 View Post
    In your opinion, i'll stick with the opinion of a Premier League Football Team Manager.
    How do you know that Mick rates Elokobi and Ward more highly than Ridgewell?

Or do you mean your opinion of 'He's wearing a Wolves top he must be good' ?

Neither, if the Manager decides a certain player needs replacing then that is what happens, quite simple really, all the other bollocks belongs to Premier League 2011 players, sometime Sunday League players who kick a ball about with their hungover mates and Managers of their Sons under ten side trying to live out their fantisies.

Neither, if the Manager decides a certain player needs replacing then that is what happens, quite simple really, all the other bollocks belongs to Premier League 2011 players, sometime Sunday League players who kick a ball about with their hungover mates and Managers of their Sons under ten side trying to live out their fantisies.
    You sound like a very angry man.

Quote Originally Posted by loonsewolf View Post
    You sound like a very angry man.
    No just a Wolves fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    I'd rather play Elokobi or Ward than Ridgewell.

Yes, we need a LB but I'd rather improve on what we have. I don't rate Ridgewell at all. And he looks like Count Duckula crossed with Darth Maul.

Put me down as another one who deosn't rate the the freak headed galump...
    Write down everything you know about football on the back of a postage stamp. In the space you have left over you can draw a picture...

No just a Wolves fan.
    So as a fan, where do YOU see the need for improvement in the team?

Quote Originally Posted by exton101 View Post
    So as a fan, where do YOU see the need for improvement in the team?
    We have a Manager who is paid a fortune to decide where improvements are needed, he will live or die by his decisions, i can have an opinion but it doesn't mean a lot.