Thread: Artificial pitches

Artificial pitches

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15722636.stm

Could artificial pitches make a comeback? I remember the ones at Luton Town and QPR, they were not very good, though as technology as moved on, I would imagine any used today would be much better.

I never looked at them as being inferior, just demanding that players were more versatile. Last time I played on one was about 7 years ago and I thought it was really good then, so today's versions must be even better.

400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.
    Some of you lot play on them don't you?

What are they like?
    There's tons of them over here, floodlit at night hundreds of people playing on them...

Apart from friction burns, do you still get mad bounces etc?
    Will we see Wayne in the leading goalscorers table at the end of the season?
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Hunting View Post

I've never seen any weird bounces on an astro-turf pitch, but they are mad fast, any slight amount of spin applied via kick or throw seems to be way more enhanced once the ball has bounced. I definitely prefer grass pitches as astro-turf is impossible to slide on without the aid of a few plasters
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Hunting View Post
    Some of you lot play on them don't you?

What are they like?
    There's tons of them over here, floodlit at night hundreds of people playing on them...

Will we see Wayne in the leading goalscorers table at the end of the season?
    For my team we train and play our matches on a 3G astro, supposedly better than normal ones, and the surface is generally easy to play on due to the fact it isn't a bobbly crap grass pitch. Had a couple of burns though from slide tackles though!

when i play on 3g pitches i generally find sliding is fine as long as there is a bit of moisture on them. Still, we need to play on grass forever in football because everything is just too perfect on those pitches.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Quote Originally Posted by PuntsWolf View Post
    when i play on 3g pitches i generally find sliding is fine as long as there is a bit of moisture on them. Still, we need to play on grass forever in football because everything is just too perfect on those pitches.
    Grass pitches are almost perfect nowadays, Premier league pitches are like billiard tables.

I have very few problems with modern artificial pitches, the 3G sort, few minor annoyances but nothing massive.

The bits of black rubber they use to bulk them out get absolutely everywhere, if they're bone then you can get some nasty friction burns but compression shorts usually offer enough protection from that, then you just need to be careful what footwear you're wearing, you can usually get away with normal moulded studs but sometimes you get a bit too much grip and can risk getting your foot stuck then twisting a knee or ankle.

They're a damn sight better than the old style artificial turf though, pretty much plastic carpet laid straight onto concrete, i find it impossible to find any footwear that offers decent traction on those sorts of pitches, especially if its a bit wet, and they're prone to freezing into a solid green block of ice.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Time for an old joke

Grass or astroturf which do you prefer?

I dont know, have never smoked astroturf!