Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing thread

The more I see it the more I think the referee was right, albeit a couple of seconds too early.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

Kid Galahad very impressive tonight (albeit against an outclassed opponent). Can't be far off a world title challenge.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Predictions for tomorrow then? Froch for me.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

Groves for me, has beaten Froch mentally once and will do so again.
    In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Froch for me too.

I listened to a FiveLive special on Monday evening about the fight and Froch admitted that he allowed Groves to get under his skin before the first fight. He also hinted that his preparation wasn't the best. If he's true to his word and everything has gone swimmingly well in the build up to this one, including a sports psychologist getting his head right then I can only see one winner.

Monetary wise it was always in the best interest of the two for a rematch but career wise for Groves it may not have been the best decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Froch for me too.

I listened to a FiveLive special on Monday evening about the fight and Froch admitted that he allowed Groves to get under his skin before the first fight. He also hinted that his preparation wasn't the best. If he's true to his word and everything has gone swimmingly well in the build up to this one, including a sports psychologist getting his head right then I can only see one winner.

Monetary wise it was always in the best interest of the two for a rematch but career wise for Groves it may not have been the best decision.
    Agreed. I don't think Froch gave him enough respect last time but won't make the same mistake twice. Groves was stopped too early last time for sure but he'd run out of steam by round 7 and I think a knockdown was only a matter of time.
    When asked to name her greatest achievement Thatcher replied: 'Tony Blair and New Labour.'

Froch for me. I hope so anyway, Groves is a mug.

Twitter
    Facebook

Froch hopefully by KO just so I can hear Jim Watt crying into his microphone again.
    Hold the door...

Froch for me, Groves has worn my patience thin. All that shite about Froch being mentally weak because he's seeing a psychologist shows him up to be a dunderheaded thundercunt.

Going into the first fight, I would have been strongly behind Froch - given the farcical decision and Froch being graceless, I'm firmly on the fence for this one, and hoping for a real tear-up.

Hopefully Groves wins. Don't like Froch.

Groves is definitely the better boxer technically, I would back him to win if he was still trained by Adam Booth but not sure if he can stick to a gameplan and he'll probably end up slogging it out which will play into Froch's hands so I'll go either Groves on points or Froch late stoppage, probably the latter.

To win on points does Groves have to start far slower than in the first fight. So if the first four or five rounds are uneventful he has enough left in the tank to come on strong in the later rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Knows View Post
    To win on points does Groves have to start far slower than in the first fight. So if the first four or five rounds are uneventful he has enough left in the tank to come on strong in the later rounds?
    I'd say so.

He has better foot and hand movement than Froch hence why I think he'd win with Booth in his corner, if Groves committed to getting his shots off and getting out of range he'd out point him very easily, I think he wants to get into a war too much though he definitely did in the first fight.

He will need to pace himself better and not get hit by so many shots by standing and trading.

Its that balance isn't it, because Groves knows Froch is pretty much useless if you back him up. He never could fight going backwards.

Listening to Froch on the radio I get the impression he's trying to convince himself that he can win.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly routine knockout by Groves in the early rounds.

Froch wins by KO. Wonderful overhand right.
    Hold the door...

What a fucking knockdown that was! Well deserved - Groves only had 2 decent rounds.

Good hit from Froch, thought it was pretty even up until that point unlike Jim Watt. Froch was throwing flurries but Groves was blocking a lot of them and Groves was starting to get more shots in. He got too confident though and just didn't see that right hand. Froch may aswell retire now as Degale is not really a big fight and he won't get near Ward.

I thought Froch was bossing the ring for the most part and although he wasn't doing much damage himself he was at least hitting Groves every so often. I thought Groves might have got knocked out in Rd 7 but he surprised me and had his best round of the fight. Groves had even started the 8th quite well but there's no getting up from that punch.

I thought Froch was bossing it with relative ease up until the 7th when Groves looked like turning it around. The 8th was dead even and then bang, one shot.

What a champion.

Twitter
    Facebook

Jinky is offline PTG Champion 2014/15, Runner Up 2015/16, 3rd Place 2016/17. And a total arse.
    I thought it was fairly even. Froch was getting more attack in & seemed positionally in control, but Groves was replying with bigger singular shots and looked like he could have put Froch on his bum at any point. That right hand from Froch came out of no where and it folded Groves up like an envelope. You don't get up from them. Fair play.

I had Froch up by two rounds going into the 8th, and would have said Groves was shading that until the huge right. Thought Groves showed a lot of class afterwards, also hinted at how the grudge stuff was all show. The logical next fight would be Bika or Degale, but unless it's an undercard that'll not be the Vegas fight he wants. I think if Hearn can make the purse appealing enough he'll get Ward again, get outclassed again and retire

DeGale is shite, Froch would spit him out, not worth his while.

Twitter
    Facebook

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    That will smart in the morning

https://vine.co/v/MpaHZ9Tlzat

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    DeGale is $#@!e, Froch would spit him out, not worth his while.
    I agree....but if it gets hyped enough could be the biggest payday

Fair play to Froch, cracking punch and he's been a worthy champion, agreed he'd piss all over DeGale.
    It would be good if he was to retire while at the top although I guess he'll carry on and lose to some unknown kid in his search for a few more quid.

Looking at the stats they back up everything that i thought last night and that it was a close fight but Groves was just edging it until he got too cocky and got caught by a top class shot. Both fighters showed class after the fight so fair play to them both.

One thing that has annoyed me about this fight is that a lot of people seem to have forgotten that Froch is not the main World Champ in his division and got outclassed against the man that is. He's been a top class champion but he's either got to retire or try and avenge that loss to Ward. If he does get the rematch with Ward i don't see him winning though and i'm pretty sure he knows that so won't go for it.

Ward has become extremely inactive (one fight since September 2012, only two since he beat Froch in December 2011), so who knows how he'll go if he ever bothers fighting again.

Twitter
    Facebook

A couple more fights and Anthony Joshua will be ready to mix it with the best of British Heavyweights. Looks very impressive so far. A fight with Hughie Fury might make him a few quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Ward has become extremely inactive (one fight since September 2012, only two since he beat Froch in December 2011), so who knows how he'll go if he ever bothers fighting again.
    He'd be fine, he's a truly world class boxer. There's a dispute i think with him and his promoters and until that is resolved then who knows when his next fight will be.