Page 2 of 421 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

Poor excuse.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    She did try half a Guinness and black, but didn't like it. Can't blame her really!
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Hoegaarden and Leffe are the way to go for me. I do enjoy a pint of Fireside in the Vine, gorgeous pint of bitter, and I've not tried Bathams yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    She did try half a Guinness and black, but didn't like it. Can't blame her really!
    Sacrilege. The only thing that should be added to Guinness is more Guinness!!

I hate beer but I am getting more a taste for Stella Cidre. Its up to 10 bottles a week now.... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    Hoegaarden and Leffe are the way to go for me. I do enjoy a pint of Fireside in the Vine, gorgeous pint of bitter, and I've not tried Bathams yet.
    I smell like a farmyard after a few pints of Hoegaarden, but I do like it. I like all the Weissbiers really, but the hangover is something awful!!!! Was in a bad way after last Oktoberfest in Dublin.

Langdale, nice work on the Innis and Gunn! Its lovely stuff! So many unique flavours! Did you mention you bought it in a bar? You can only get it in shops here
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    I smell like a farmyard after a few pints of Hoegaarden, but I do like it. I like all the Weissbiers really, but the hangover is something awful!!!! Was in a bad way after last Oktoberfest in Dublin.
    I really need to try some trappist beers.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    Sacrilege. The only thing that should be added to Guinness is more Guinness!!
    She has a sweet tooth though, so I thought it might help. We're trying to find Makesons on tap somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirkafleeg View Post
    I hate beer but I am getting more a taste for Stella Cidre. Its up to 10 bottles a week now.... :/
    I thought you didn't drink, UFO spotter....?

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    Langdale, nice work on the Innis and Gunn! Its lovely stuff! So many unique flavours! Did you mention you bought it in a bar? You can only get it in shops here
    It was in All Bar One - a bog standard tossy bar in Brindley Place. Very surprised to see it but it was a welcome surprise!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

All Bar One is okay. Nice selection of red wines.

Obviously I am a lager boy most of the time (and the Budvar in the Western cannot be beaten) but I do occasionally dip into the real ale world.

My faves:-

Golden Glow
    Bathams (these are taken as read)

Double Dragon
    Bishops Finger
    Adnams Broadside
    Doombar
    Betty Skoggs
    Anything by the Tring Brewery - marvellous micro-brewery
    Jennings Snecklifter
    Dogth Vader
    Coniston Bluebird (think that was the name)
    80/-
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Dogbolter was ace as well.

Lincolnshire is the County for small breweries, as I previously mentioned. There are lots of them around.

Dogbolter...I do not think I know that.

Lager has no redeeming features.

I had a nice pint of Greene King St Edmonds last night.

The mention of Felinfoel Double Dragon took me back to my student days. Feeling Foul we used to call it, as that was the effect the next morning of having too many.

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    1st picture - who the $#@! was on the lager???!
    I think it was cider. It was definitely a lady!

This was awesome back in the day:

And this:

Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

A couple of supermarket favs are:

St Peters Golden Ale

Badger Fursty Ferret

and Badger Tangle Foot

In fact, anything from Badger is a pretty sure bet.

400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.
    In the days when you could get away with working trains and drinking pints, I used to work a Bournemouth train as far as Coventry and had a lovely pint of Flowers Bitter in the staff club there.

But I the best was when working trains to Euston, a few minutes walk away was a big empty roomy kind of pub and it served the most gorgeous pint of Courage Director's. Terrific stuff.

I thought Bank's Mild was good in and around Wolverhampton. But that was back in the golden years... of Richards & Dougan.
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.

I usually drink lager when I'm out, as I don't tend to go out purely for the Ale, and I do enjoy it.

The European Lagers are definitely much better than our generally poor attempts at Lager brewing, Budvar is an excellent brew and I've lost many a night down the Station in Codsall to that!

The commercial lager of choice is probably Kronenbourg, even though it’s never a decent pint from the brewery up in Edinburgh, but the memories of drinking it in France, where it is a very special lager.

My days of real ale, had a bit of resurgence a few years ago, (after I started out on drinking ales, but switched to lager) and I still like the odd bottle here and there.

My favourite ales are

Bathams Bitter - It’s the best bitter ever, I enjoy my trips down to the Bell at Trysul
    Enville Ale - I used to love my trips down to the Cat during my early years drinking
    Sarah Hughes
    Ruby Red Mild - excellent for blotting out any memories
    Sedgley Surprise - been a few years since I drank it, but I always really liked it
    Holden’s
    Special Bitter - a lovely tipple
    Golden Glow
    Marston’s
    Old Empire - a cracking brew
    Strong Pale Ale - a great head twister

A note to Banks bitter, which when kept right is a fine brew in itself, just a pity that so many fail to do so
    Last edited by Newbridge Wolf; 20th February 2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Newbridge Wolf View Post
    I usually drink lager when I'm out, as I don't tend to go out purely for the Ale, and I do enjoy it.
    I tend to drink bottles of lager on a night out. I struggle to drink ale for 9 or 10 hours.

Some excellent ales:

Hobsons - Town Crier
    Dark Star - Hophead
    Kelham Island - Pale Rider
    Ossett - Silver King
    Robinsons - Unicorn
    Crouch Vale - Brewers Gold

All absolutely delicious. Be careful with Pale Rider - its potent but moreish. It's very easy to get utterly twatted on the stuff as it doesn't taste as strong as it is.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

When i'm out i'll drink Glow if it's available, Enville Ale in the Newhampton is good, i'll always look for any guest ales that are on offer particularly when i'm on holiday and give them

a go.

Funnily enough i never drink beer in the house, i always enjoy a nice Australian Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz.

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    I tend to drink bottles of lager on a night out. I struggle to drink ale for 9 or 10 hours.
    Yep, pretty much the same as me, although I'll drink pints rather than bottles - I find the ales can lie a bit too heavy and the hops make me a bit sluggish

Langdale - you have a fantastic selection of Ales that you keep on realing off, where do you get these from, are they guests in the pubs or can you get them bottled? Unless i make a concerted effort I struggle to find anything decent on tap.

Bridgnorth is great for a night on the ales.

Anything from the black sheep brewery for me.

Golden sheep or riggwelter

Quote Originally Posted by Newbridge Wolf View Post
    Langdale - you have a fantastic selection of Ales that you keep on realing off, where do you get these from, are they guests in the pubs or can you get them bottled? Unless i make a concerted effort I struggle to find anything decent on tap.
    I normally discover them at beer festivals, but my brother is quite involved with CAMRA so often sends me recommendations (some of which are fucking horrible!).

He lives near the Dark Star brewery too - Hophead and APA are amongst the nicest beers I've ever tasted.

You can get most of those bottled but they're all much better on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    I'm like that with lager. I can have a few pints, but it's too gassy and sweet to manage more than a couple without feeling bloated and grim.

I guess it's just what your body is used to.

That is why I drink bottles, I don't find them as gassy.