Page 3 of 421 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

Langers is online now Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I find bottles far more gassy than beer from the tap.

Still enjoy a nice bottled beer though.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post

We haven't got a dedicated Beer thread to the best of my knowledge. I'm a fan of beer. So I thought I'd start a thread about it.

One of the reasons is that I finally tried a bottle of Innis and Gunn last night. I know Wolf Hunting and DDW have spoken about it a fair bit. I was quite impressed actually - certainly better than the rest of the $#@!ty lagers being served on tap (it was All Bar One in Brum - not my choice of pub but it was a mate's party).

Looking forward to some BATHAMS next weekend. Not had any in a few weeks now.
    Ahem. http://www.wolvesforum.co.uk/showthr...-no-longer-see.

I'm with DDW in liking Weissbeer but to be honest I will drink anything that takes my fancy. Nothing worse than drinking watery lager in town centres.
    http://www.puritybrewing.com/own-ales.cfm
    Purity Gold most impressed me recently but I wasn't quite so keen on the UBU.

Purity is lovely. Good call.

Mad Goose is my favourite Purity beer.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

mmmm.. Bathams, I'm Jealous.
    A few years ago when I played footy in the AFA we'd hire a minibus whenever we were away at Old Wulfs or Old Duds and make a night of it after the game. Generally starting in The Lamp for a few Bathams...Happy days.
    Generally I'm on Bishops Finger from Tesco these days as there is not a whole lot in the ale dept over here. I'm gonna give the Innis and Gunn a try.
    In bottled ales I can recommend McEwans Champion, but it needs treating with some respect as it's powerful stuff. I fill the car with that, Old Empire and Pedigree whenever I'm up in Northern Ireland!
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

Quote Originally Posted by arklowolf View Post
    I fill the car with that, Old Empire and Pedigree whenever I'm up in Northern Ireland!
    Well it's one way to dodge high fuel prices.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

So the general jist of this thread leads me to conclude that this forum is full of piss heads...

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    We just have good taste!
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    A couple of supermarket favs are:

St Peters Golden Ale

Badger Fursty Ferret

and Badger Tangle Foot

In fact, anything from Badger is a pretty sure bet.
    Fully agree I would recommend anyone to stock up with Badger ales when in the supermarket. They are lovely Hopping Hare is another of my favourites. A beer that has popped up in Wolvo Banks's pubs called Single Hop from IIRC New Zealand? Is bang on. It may be a guest beer so not around for too long?

South West Trains serve Tanglefoot on their trains. Granted, it's from a tin, but nonetheless it's still a decent beverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Fully agree I would recommend anyone to stock up with Badger ales when in the supermarket. They are lovely Hopping Hare is another of my favourites. A beer that has popped up in Wolvo Banks's pubs called Single Hop from IIRC New Zealand? Is bang on. It may be a guest beer so not around for too long?
    Ooooh yeah, Hopping Hare is well bum. I'm not mad keen on there fruity/peachy/honey flavoured ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat del combate View Post
    South West Trains serve Tanglefoot on their trains. Granted, it's from a tin, but nonetheless it's still a decent beverage.
    No such thing as a quality canned ale. FACKT.

Anything in a can doesn't qualify as a real ale, according to the bods at CAMRA.

It's a damn sight nicer than Carling out of a can anyways, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Anything in a can doesn't qualify as a real ale, according to the bods at CAMRA.

It's a damn sight nicer than Carling out of a can anyways, that's for sure.
    Oh I'd still drink it. But it's nowhere near as nice as draught or bottled ale,

It may have changed now but CAMRA used to be more interested in collecting money from landlords than promoting good ale. When my dad ran a pub (M&B - Mild and Bass were the only real ales that he served) he used to have a visit each year from CAMRA and was delighted to pass the test. Right now you've passed the test can we have X amount of cash please so that we can put your pubs name in the Good Beer Guide. Being in the guide may not necessarily be down to the landlords quality of ale but down to his ability to pay.

That's definitely not the case anymore. Though CAMRA are far from perfect - they do hold grudges against individual establishments or individuals for some of the silliest reasons. They should judge on the beer and only the beer.

It's why I'd never get involved with CAMRA, though I am happy to support their cause. I've been a member since I was 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Langdale Wolf View Post
    That's definitely not the case anymore. Though CAMRA are far from perfect - they do hold grudges against individual establishments or individuals for some of the silliest reasons. They should judge on the beer and only the beer.

It's why I'd never get involved with CAMRA, though I am happy to support their cause. I've been a member since I was 18.
    Our pub was in the guide for a number of years but my dad did fall out with the local 'CAMRA' rep over why only Martsons pubs in our area won the local award. The guy from CAMRA was a former employee of the Marstons. The next time he visited to collect the subscription he was sent packing.

One good thing to happen when the breweries had to start selling off the pubs was that it meant that Landlords could get in Guest Ales whereas before this they were tied in to selling the produce of the Brewery that your lease was with.

One thing is for sure - just because a pub doesn't feature in the Good Beer Guide doesn't mean its beers aren't good!

Well I'm getting myself some Badger Ale to try currently 3 for 4 in Asda

Tangle Foots a nice drop

That wasn't part of the promotion unfortunately.

I have Golden Glory, Golden Champion and Fursty Ferret. I will give them a try tonight with my pancakes!

Fursty Ferrets nice too, I can't remember trying the others but they tend to brew some really nice ales - enjoy

Now this may seem a strange question but as I never usually buy ales is it best to chill them down first in the fridge or just crack on and drink it?

Room temperature mate. Don't put them in the fridge.

This is what I was thinking.

I've drunk golden champ and golden glory in the past, both good, one of them - think golden glory has a pleasant flowery taste, and although ales should really always be room temp. I have actually been sacriligeous and put an odd golden glory in the fridge in the summer, it still has a good crisp flavour.
    Any views on 'old speckled hen'? I used to like it but for some reason have gone right off it? don't know if it's me or has it changed? Seems very thin and gassy last few times I've had it.

I find Speckled Hen to be very plain indeed. Not a big fan. Same with Bishops Finger, Black Sheep, Pedigree etc.

They're all a bit on the 'thin' side but I prefer Pedi to the other three, Bishops 2nd choice.
    The only others I can get in bottles over here are London Pride and Spitfire which fall into the same category really. Beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I'm gonna give the Inis and Gunn a whirl, until I'm North of the border again and I can restock with something better.
    Had a bottle in a place in Dublin last weekend from Waterford brewery, think it was called Copper ale or something like that, it was very good. Was gonna have a second until I saw they'd charged me 6 euro 75 cent for a 500ml bottle. Outrageous.

Just Googled 'em; Dungarvan Brewery Waterford. Copper Coast ale.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWolf View Post
    This is what I was thinking.
    Chill.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWolf View Post
    That wasn't part of the promotion unfortunately.

I have Golden Glory, Golden Champion and Fursty Ferret. I will give them a try tonight with my pancakes!
    Golden Glory is a little fruity (peachy IIRC). The other two are great try and get Hopping Hare (my favourite) you are in for a treat IMO the best beer that can be drunk at home.