Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiding/Ignoring Threads

Hiding/Ignoring Threads

Is there any functionality in the website for hiding or ignoring threads in the same way that you can an individual poster?

Generally not a massive issue but I get a bit of OCD with subforums showing as having unread posts, usually just used the mark everything as read function once I've read threads I'm interested in but it can be a bit of a pain in the arse at times when threads I don't read or participate in are very busy, so just wondered if there was anyway to permanently hide those threads? I know PTG is hidden for anyone that doesn't play it but not sure if there's a function for doing similar on individual threads?
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I'm afraid not mate - I actually have the same OCD so on the threads I don't participate in, I just mark it as read. It'd mean asking every member what threads they don't like and then setting a specific function for each individual thread. I like being on here but not enough to do that!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The answer is clearly a dedicated, private Game of Thrones & Doctor Who forum
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Would it surprise you to hear that I actually am a member of a dedicated, private Dr Who forum....

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Would it surprise you to hear that I actually am a member
    Not really...

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Would it surprise you to hear that I actually am a member of a dedicated, private Dr Who forum....

What is the issue of today? Is it will Whittaker get paid as much as Capaldi and if not why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    What is the issue of today? Is it will Whittaker get paid as much as Capaldi and if not why not?
    No idea - I don't go on there very often. It's too geeky even for me!

I'm on 2 jack the ripper forums!
    Amazingly, some of the interactions on those are less grown up that some of the handbags we see on here.

I don't stress about it. I have 2 people on ignore, but probably spend more time browsing the forum as a guest, then logging in when I want to post. Sometimes that has been owing to seeing someone on ignore post something ridiculous that I can't leave alone!
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Cant people just scroll past and ignore these days. Do people have to make a song and dance out of shit.

Wouldn't use that function anyway even though I don't bother posting much in the 'political' sub forum (& never on the Dr Who one due to having absolutely no interest) due to certain circular irrelevant arguments going on

Will still dip in & out to read

Not to worry.

It's not so bad when I'm on the computer but sometimes my phone goes a bit weird with Tapatalk and doesn't always highlight the subforums properly to show where there are unread posts which then makes it impossible to mark them as unread because the phone doesn't believe anything fits that category! Just wondered if the functionality was there in the forum software to make it it go away easily but sadly not, I'll just have to keep on flicking through those various threads from time to time when it's playing up.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirkafleeg View Post
    Cant people just scroll past and ignore these days. Do people have to make a song and dance out of $#@!.
    Or better still crack the odd "joke" eh Jase
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

No Comment, Kenny has his wonky eye on me.

No Comment, Kenny has his wonky eye on me.
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

I never have, and never will put people on ignore. I know half the forum have me on that function, but it seems so pointless and unnecessary. Why ignore someone just because you disagree with them or their style of posting.

Cant people just scroll past and ignore these days. Do people have to make a song and dance out of shit.
    Obviously not. And goodness knows why. As you say just scroll past, but that is too easy for certain posters on here.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    I never have, and never will put people on ignore. I know half the forum have me on that function, but it seems so pointless and unnecessary. Why ignore someone just because you disagree with them or their style of posting.
    I guess its no difference to actual going outside life. If someone is annoying you have a few options - 1) Just put up with it 2) Tell them to shut the frig up or 3) Move away and not listen to them

Many won't use the ignore function but it is there if they feel need to do so. and if it makes their time on the forum better then all the better

I'm forever pressing the mark read button, same as you Mark, just stick to that I guess!
    Time that you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

What?

Can't say that I have ever used the ignore function (not even sure where it is) - just tend to move on past in a South Park Way as there's 'nothing to see here'

I never have, and never will put people on ignore. I know half the forum have me on that function,
    Who said that ????
    Your friends list is empty

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Many won't use the ignore function but it is there if they feel need to do so. and if it makes their time on the forum better then all the better
    This. I only have started using this in the last month or so, but it stops you wading through any diatribe of individuals whose views you don't wish to read, it's actually quite cathartic. Frank, you aren't on it, but I believe you use the swear filter, so different strokes for different folks and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    This. I only have started using this in the last month or so, but it stops you wading through any diatribe of individuals whose views you don't wish to read, it's actually quite cathartic. Frank, you aren't on it, but I believe you use the swear filter, so different strokes for different folks and all that.
    Swearing is another thing entirely. If someone swears when at a football match or whatever, then I can understand, if not approve of it. But to type a swear word is just baffles me. But as most on here enjoy using profanity I have learnt to accept it, but still dont understand the reason for it.

But to type a swear word is just baffles me. But as most on here enjoy using profanity I have learnt to accept it, but still dont understand the reason for it.
    Sometimes a ' damn it ' just doesn't have the same emotion to it as say a ' fuck it'

Is it really? Or just your own personal preference? It's an internet forum, how people choose to behave in terms of their posting behaviour or who they wish to interact with is surely their own choice. I choose to take one route, you another
    Last edited by Tony Towner; 19th July 2017 at 07:57 PM.

Swearing is another thing entirely. If someone swears when at a football match or whatever, then I can understand, if not approve of it. But to type a swear word is just baffles me. But as most on here enjoy using profanity I have learnt to accept it, but still dont understand the reason for it.
    The use of profanity is just language. A vocabulary to put across your feelings if you like. You choose not to do it as is your right, others don't.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Bit of a fnarr but I don't think I could get through the day without a ' fuck '. And I know it's not ladylike but sometimes, like Johnny says, it's just language, and it just comes out

I'd have you all on my ignore list if I was allowed.

One thing we have here that makes us a bit different is that the swear filter is optional.

If you want to enable it great. If you like cussin' that's great too

Often it isn't about the language engaged, but about the method of engaging it. If I was to call a poster a see you next tuesday I would still be in trouble, because that level of personal insult is outside the CoC.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota