Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2070

Thread: Climate Change Debate

Iím not a massive fan of labour, and donít agree with nationalising the industries - but I very much like the idea of putting solar panels on council housing, and indeed, any government owned buildings - seems a really sensible thing to do to me.

Cheaper heating for low wage individuals, more renewable energy, and the subsidies go back into the government - nothing there to dislike.

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home...al-homes-61462
    Feigning concern, a Labour pastime, makes you feel doubtful right from the start. The expression he pulls is exactly like last time, got to assume he just hasn't a brain!

Climate change protesters planning to shut Heathrow for ten days with drones. Morons.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

Can they do it next Sunday? Could do with missing my flight if possible.
    )

Can understand why they want to do it,but if you disrupt the holiday people have saved all year for they're more likely to be pissed off with the protesters than on their side
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

There's a cheery last sentence for you.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Premier Quality View Post
    I’m not a massive fan of labour, and don’t agree with nationalising the industries - but I very much like the idea of putting solar panels on council housing, and indeed, any government owned buildings - seems a really sensible thing to do to me.

Cheaper heating for low wage individuals, more renewable energy, and the subsidies go back into the government - nothing there to dislike.

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home...al-homes-61462
    The issue is that we have been sayingh it for a decade with little forward movement.
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    There's a cheery last sentence for you.
    They're right, Americans don't. Everyone else does though.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Thousands of people walking through Brum city centre earlier for the protest - it was quite a sight. Didn't expect to see so many.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Thousands of people walking through Brum city centre earlier for the protest - it was quite a sight. Didn't expect to see so many.
    Yeah, I saw that too.

I found it encouraging and hopefully the start of public will supporting the changes we need to make

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    At least they've got hot weather for it.

Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

I was perusing the apple app store for climate change related apps and one of the highest rated is called "inconvenient facts", which looks to be filled with a bunch of anti-science conservative talking points. seems a bit odd that people would learn random factoids through apps, but whatever floats your boat.

not sure what this says about the situation at large, but there doesn't appear to be a comparable app for climate-science awareness. wonder if there was one, if it would even have an impact. maybe it could be searchable by topic, give high level easy to understand overviews, then break down into subsections adding more technical detail, refuting common incorrect talking points, and listing ways to affect change.

I'm currently coming up with a topic for my senior capstone, maybe I'll make an app called Convenient Truths which debunks every talking point in their shitty app.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

Quote Originally Posted by t3ch View Post
    I was perusing the apple app store for climate change related apps and one of the highest rated is called "inconvenient facts", which looks to be filled with a bunch of anti-science conservative talking points. seems a bit odd that people would learn random factoids through apps, but whatever floats your boat.

not sure what this says about the situation at large, but there doesn't appear to be a comparable app for climate-science awareness. wonder if there was one, if it would even have an impact. maybe it could be searchable by topic, give high level easy to understand overviews, then break down into subsections adding more technical detail, refuting common incorrect talking points, and listing ways to affect change.

I'm currently coming up with a topic for my senior capstone, maybe I'll make an app called Convenient Truths which debunks every talking point in their shitty app.
    I'm currently at a very large water conference in Chicago, I've been very impressed with the openess and plans to tackle the consequences of climate change in the US.
    )

well chicago would certainly know about plenty of different water problems between the lakes and river. and the invasive fish within them!

man there are so many problems everywhere, it's hard to think/know about too many at once. makes me physically anxious.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

Tbf I'd be more worried about the shit load of untreated sewage flowing into the lakes first.
    )

wow. good strike prices on these, virtually subsidy free (2012 prices). just a shame it will never scale

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/23...t-cfd-auction/
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

So if wind power can be generated at £39.65 per MWh, why did we guarantee a strike price of £92.50 per MWh for Hinkley Point C ?

Quote Originally Posted by Visage View Post
    So if wind power can be generated at £39.65 per MWh, why did we guarantee a strike price of £92.50 per MWh for Hinkley Point C ?
    desperation I think vis. of course, wind wasn't delivering this sort of price at the time and, as we know from cyber, there's no such thing as foresight in politics
    don't forget the project also gets treasury support under the UK guarantee scheme too and liability in respect of projected clean up will inevitably be capped potentially exposing UK taxpayers further.
    anyway, someone on the forum claimed that these 'vanity projects' would be stopped after Brexit
    it is not that I have no past. rather, it continually fragments on the terrible and vivid ephemera of now.

Superb article from Matt Hill at Bloomberg on the impact of climate change, in particular the impact on those least able to deal with the consequences.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2...limate-crisis/

Also nice to see so many familiar places - the Zambezi source is very close to where I used to live.
    )

Fracking banned in the UK (temporarily) until it is proved to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Fracking banned in the UK..
    And it has been looked at, found harmful and banned. That's the right way to do things.

Big kick in the goolies for Corbyn as it was in his election pledge iirc? How to steal thunder 101. Labour haven't got off the ground yet in this election campaign
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

That's good news

Anything that stops more burning of fossil fuels is a good thing

If the Tories win the election,fracking will be back therell be a newer survey saying it's brilliant,cynic in me thinks it's just to wrongfoot labour
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Anyone else had an invitation to apply for the Citizen's Assembly On Climate Change. 30,000 households randomly selected to apply, apparently.

£600 and free accommodation for taking part, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablowolf View Post
    Anyone else had an invitation to apply for the Citizen's Assembly On Climate Change. 30,000 households randomly selected to apply, apparently.

£600 and free accommodation for taking part, which is nice.
    I haven't - then again don't thing I am on any official list as despite nearly out of time age wise have still never done jury service
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    I haven't - then again don't thing I am on any official list as despite nearly out of time age wise have still never done jury service
    you should be thankful

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Fracking banned in the UK (temporarily) until it is proved to be safe.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/bo...lection-921414