Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Refereeing question

Refereeing question

Just wondering, do you ever see penalties given for a high boot or a defender diving?

Or are those offences punished with an indirect freekick in the box?
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Indirect freekick for high foot, I know that.

Cheers.

Where's Frank when you need him?

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Probably out being his usual hooligan self.

Wigan got a penalty for it at Anfield last season, Skrtel booted Moses in the face trying to clear it. Really we should have had one against Villa when Petrov maimed Frimpong.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

I'm not sure a defender would dive in the box.

A player raising his foot in a dangerous manner would concede an indirect free kick.

Any player guilty of simulation should be cautioned, and an indirect free kick awarded to the other team. If only more referees would take the correct action, we would make an inroad into all the diving and cheating that occurs.

Cheers Frank. So no penalty for either.

James is offline The Poster Equivalent of Bolton Wanderers
    Definitely not a penalty just an indirect free kick but referees have been known to give penalties for this when they shouldn't

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Correct Sir. A penalty should only be awarded for one of the seven penal offences. Often a player trying an overhead kick will have his foot dangerously close to an opponents head. While clearly not a deliberate act, it could cause injury, which is why an indirect free kick is awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Correct Sir. A penalty should only be awarded for one of the seven penal offences. Often a player trying an overhead kick will have his foot dangerously close to an opponents head. While clearly not a deliberate act, it could cause injury, which is why an indirect free kick is awarded.

When did you turn into Pav, Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    When did you turn into Pav, Frank?
    Pav and Frank, the boards residential Saga Louts, bless 'em.

I picture them more like this:

Harsh, very harsh.....but possibly correct!!!!

Frank,

Can you answer a query for me please. I think I know the answer but I would like it clarified please.

Croatia v Spain (Spains winner)

The Croatia backline clearly try to play Iniesta / Jesus N offside however only Jesus N is in an offside position and the ball goes to Iniesta. Iniesta then squares the ball to Jesus N who is now onside who then walks the ball in for a goal.

Clearly Jesus N has gained an advantage by being in an offside position as the opposition have let him go and then he is free to tap the ball in. Is this allowed as it is deemed to be another phase of play?
    If so why is a man who is offside when a shot is made not allowed to tap the ball in if it comes back off a post or the keeper as he has gained no more of an advantage as Jesus N did last night.

Cheers
    Sniffer

I'd ask whether Iniesta used his arm to control it?

I'd like also to know why Meireles wasn't booked for deliberate handball in portugal v holland. Nani put the ball in the corner quadrant & tapped it & ran off. The holland players were aware of this & chased down meireles who picked the ball up. The dutch were rightly incensed.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Portuguese in cheating unsportsmanlike wankers shock.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Frank,

Can you answer a query for me please. I think I know the answer but I would like it clarified please.

The Croatia backline clearly try to play Iniesta / Jesus N offside however only Jesus N is in an offside position and the ball goes to Iniesta. Iniesta then squares the ball to Jesus N who is now onside who then walks the ball in for a goal.

Clearly Jesus N has gained an advantage by being in an offside position as the opposition have let him go and then he is free to tap the ball in. Is this allowed as it is deemed to be another phase of play?
    If so why is a man who is offside when a shot is made not allowed to tap the ball in if it comes back off a post or the keeper as he has gained no more of an advantage as Jesus N did last night.

Cheers
    Sniffer
    In addition, can it reasonably be argued Navas was not interfering with play? Were he not there, perhaps the keeper would have come flying out directly at Iniesta, narrowing the angle with the intention of challenging for the ball? With the position Navas was in, the keeper is less inclined to commit as he will be aware of the option of the pass & doesn't want to gift an open goal opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Frank,

Cheers
    Sniffer
    A player may be in an offside position, but because he did not play the ball, the assistant rightly kept his flag down, and when the goal was scored it was another phase of play. That is the interpretation, but I am not saying I agree with it.

If the ball hits the woodwork or rebounds off the keeper then it is deemed that it is in the same phase of play.

Things were a lot simpler a few years back, but that is how the law makers say we must proceed.

Well done to Howard Webb tonight - thought he did really well, and made some very sensible decisions.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Absolutely excellent refereeing performance. If England don't make the final he looks a certainty.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Well done to Howard Webb tonight - thought he did really well, and made some very sensible decisions.
    Absolutely. He had a great game, and he could easily have sent off the Czech player in the last minute, but used common sense.

Freddeno is offline Koscielny Fan Club President, PTG Euro Winner 2016 and all round FPU artist - Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    he is like the english version of Collina..

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Absolutely excellent refereeing performance. If England don't make the final he looks a certainty.
    If England beat Italy, all English officials will be released from their Euro2012 commitments.

Echo these comments.

By the way, has anyone read Collina's The Rules Of The Game? Excellent book I felt. Mandatory reading for non refs - you learn a lot.

*must update the jolly good read thread...*

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    A player may be in an offside position, but because he did not play the ball, the assistant rightly kept his flag down, and when the goal was scored it was another phase of play. That is the interpretation, but I am not saying I agree with it.

If the ball hits the woodwork or rebounds off the keeper then it is deemed that it is in the same phase of play.

Things were a lot simpler a few years back, but that is how the law makers say we must proceed.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    In addition, can it reasonably be argued Navas was not interfering with play? Were he not there, perhaps the keeper would have come flying out directly at Iniesta, narrowing the angle with the intention of challenging for the ball? With the position Navas was in, the keeper is less inclined to commit as he will be aware of the option of the pass & doesn't want to gift an open goal opportunity?
    Frank, I appreciate the answer you've given, but given that both players were on the edge of the 6 yard box when the ball was played through, why is Navas not interfering with play as per my previous query?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    Absolutely. He had a great game, and he could easily have sent off the Czech player in the last minute, but used common sense.
    From a PTG point of view, that was the best decision he made!!

He also played some really good advantages - one in particular when a Portuguese midfielder went on a mazy run and was fouled a few times, but Webb waited until he actually went down before giving the foul (and unlike other Portuguese players, he actually tried to stay on his feet).

I hate seeing cheap cards brandished every 2 minutes so thought he did very well indeed.

You hardly noticed Howard Webb tonight.

That is the best commendation that a referee can ever be given in my opinion
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Frank, I appreciate the answer you've given, but given that both players were on the edge of the 6 yard box when the ball was played through, why is Navas not interfering with play as per my previous query?
    I would think he was not given offside because he did not play the ball, and also he was not interfering with the goalkeepers vision. Had the assistant raised his flag, I doubt many would have objected, though technically he was correct.