Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves 2 - 1 Leicester: The Verdict Thread

Wolves 2 - 1 Leicester: The Verdict Thread

Lucky escape!

Fire away guys...
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

Well, that wasn't exactly easy but no-one expected it to be. Three point is three points and to get them against a good Championship side like Leicester is brilliant!

Onto Ipswitch now!
    “Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.”

Sako had a good first half, died out later though.

Henry was again crucial to our performance, MOTM I believe?

Credit to SEB for another goal and Stearman for an ironic one

Doyle played tremendously as well, Johnson and Berra made a few crucial clearances too but we were still quite poor at the back.

Onwards and upwards!

Freddeno is offline Koscielny Fan Club President, PTG Euro Winner 2016 and all round FPU artist - Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    the thing i have noticed is that both cardiff and leicester have been much the quicker side in midfield..short players, who are quick and good on the ball. We really lack that in our side. We have taller players, and always had. Do we lack a bit of pace still?

Three points, still unbeaten at home.
    We nearly threw it away with sloppy passing and failure to keep possession.
    Our strike force looks second-rate. Both of our goals came from set pieces and we never looked like scoring again.
    Not only do we need to sort the defence out, but we need a real striker.

Great to see another Molineux win (just).

I hope we never do that again, though!
    Wales is not like California in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by croxdenabbey View Post
    Three points, still unbeaten at home.
    We nearly threw it away with sloppy passing and failure to keep possession.
    Our strike force looks second-rate. Both of our goals came from set pieces and we never looked like scoring again.
    Not only do we need to sort the defence out, but we need a real striker.

Great to see another Molineux win (just).

I hope we never do that again, though!
    Doyle managed a few good shots though, including one that let to the goal from the corner...
    “Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.”

NorwayFB is offline The elderly, irritating relative at weddings
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Hullis View Post
    Lucky escape!

Fire away guys...
    Decent first half and some sort of control in the second until Doumbia was replaced.Once again take one midfielder out and the team falls apart.

Plus to:Ikeme,RoJo and Berra,Sako for assists,SEB and Doyle.

Once again I feel SEB should have been the one still on,Doyle is too similar to Bjørn.

All in all,a very lucky win.

Thought we were poor and Leicester poorer. Second half we were woeful. Zero confidence, no idea how to just hold onto the ball.

Not sure if this is what is to be expected now after being used to the PL but it was shocking. Second tier players not being able to hold onto it late in the game even though they had time and space?

I guess it's a positive that we won against a so called good team.

Thought Ikeme should have saved theirs.

Hope we can build on this though an get some confidence.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Quote Originally Posted by NorwayFB View Post
    Decent first half and some sort of control in the second until Doumbia was replaced.Once again take one midfielder out and the team falls apart.
    Pretty much what I said to my dad. We knew they would come out second half and have a go, but the damage had been done in the first half. Ståle still has a lot of work to do but the signs are starting show what he's trying to do. We really need to get the defence and midfield working better together though because, as it was last season, they seem to be miles apart when it comes knowing what the other is going to do.

Still, 3 points at home and an improvement on the last couple of outings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Jinky is offline Has better things to do and a life. Also a total arse.
    Very worried about how we faded so badly in the second half. Superb to come away with the three points - no one will remember the performance at the end of the season, they will look at the points and although we were lucky, we fought and scrapped for those points.

Why Waghorne didn't go across Ikeme when he hit the post I will never know. That's the tight margins we play to and on another day it'll be us on the wrong end of the scoreline.

Henry man of the match although I thought SEB played very well before he went off. Sako faded badly and his sloppy pass at the end was criminal. I'm also worried about Sigurdsson who didn't look interested at all, he looks weak and again, his pass at the end to give possession away was dreadful.

Its safe to say I'm much happier with the result then the performance.

Happy with the win, maybe that will push us on now but there is still a lot to be worked on. Clarke Carlisle said that Henry just slowed it down late on and helped us hold onto that lead but i'm not sure what he was watching as not one of our players did that and that's why it was all Leicester, we were crying out for someone to just put their foot on the ball slow it down and pick out a good pass but we just kept giving it away.

I was out for lunch, and did not see it, but I have just been on the phone to a friend who went, and he said we were rather fortunate to win. Still it is three points, and that will do for me.

Freddeno is offline Koscielny Fan Club President, PTG Euro Winner 2016 and all round FPU artist - Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwayFB View Post

Plus to:Ikeme,RoJo and Berra,Sako for assists,SEB and Doyle.

Once again I feel SEB should have been the one still on,Doyle is too similar to Bjørn.

All in all,a very lucky win.
    Agree with that, Seb should have stayed on as the goalscorer he is, Doumbia's importance for the team is staggering..as soon as he leaves we lose our game completely

Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Happy with the win, maybe that will push us on now but there is still a lot to be worked on. Clarke Carlisle said that Henry just slowed it down late on and helped us hold onto that lead but i'm not sure what he was watching as not one of our players did that and that's why it was all Leicester, we were crying out for someone to just put their foot on the ball slow it down and pick out a good pass but we just kept giving it away.
    yes, we were panicking and just booting it up the pitch and leicester just had attack after attack. We made it far to easy for them

Quote Originally Posted by freddeno View Post
    the thing i have noticed is that both cardiff and leicester have been much the quicker side in midfield..short players, who are quick and good on the ball. We really lack that in our side. We have taller players, and always had. Do we lack a bit of pace still?
    We lack more than a bit of pace - we look very slow at times
    Prediction 24th January: 14 games to go: 6 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats - final points 57 when the league finishes in May 2023...

Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    We really need to get the defence and midfield working better together
    Indeed,it still looks like 10 headless chickens.Thank God for set piece goals,not much to write home about in open play.

A mixed reaction on foxes talk. Some want the manager, other Leicester fans said we were the worst side they have played this season, and some think we have the quality to mount a promotion challenge. But generally they are rather annoyed at another away defeat. I might just nip down the local and say good afternoon to my Leicester friends....

we looked very scared when Doumbia left the pitch..couldn't hold on to the ball, and ZERO pressure in the second half..I praised that high pressure in the first half. we were just backing and backing, relying more in luck that we clear the ball than make it harder for them and make them play more difficult passes.

Hear what you say about Doumbia but thought it was his poorest game so far, maybe he was carrying an injury. We had lost control of the midfield long before he went off, for most of the second half there were gaping holes in our midfield with leicester able to control and pass the ball at will. For me the biggest disappointment was our inability to pass to one another from 5/10 yards especially when we were trying to take the sting out of them at the end.
    Still a win is a win and if we can stay in the top half until Stahle can get them better organised and playing as a team, hopefully we will be ok

That's the worst I think I've seen us play and win.

Then again, playing poorly and winning is supposed to be the sign of a good team so I'll happily take it!

Player Ratings:

Ikeme 6 - One great save, should have saved their goal (perhaps a harsh comment)
    Stearman 8 - Great finish, played well defensively too.
    Berra 7 - A couple of superb blocks but shaky positioning at times.
    Johnson 7 - As above
    Ward 7 - Positioning still scary but defended better than he has in recent weeks.
    Peszko 5 - Stinker & a terrible dive.
    Henry 7.5 - Did the little things well; left alone against waves of Leicester players far too often
    Doumbia 7 - Great at times; at times lethargic and sloppy. Hope he's not injured.
    Sako 7 - Superb delivery. Faded noticeably.
    Doyle 7.5 - Solid performance, desperately unlucky to be denied a goal.
    SEB 8 - MOTM. After a poor opening 10 minutes, he was Johnny on the spot for his goal and then turned in his best all-round performance of the season.

Edwards 5.5 - Harsh, but midfield completely went to pot once he came on.
    Boukari 7 - Looked lively in his limited appearance - like to see him start at Ipswich.
    Sigurdarson 7 - As above, definitely has a certain something about him.

Despite the pretty solid ratings, I still felt the team performance lacked a real sense of cohesion - we're too static and simply invite the opponents on to us.

As is the case in 90% of our matches, the opposition probably created twice as many shooting opportunities as us - we just back off, back off, back off etc.

In all honesty, Leicester can count themselves very unlucky to not won, let alone drawn. But, as I mentioned above, playing poorly and winning is infinitely preferable to either playing well and losing or playing poorly and...well...losing!

What did impress me was how we closed out the game in the last 10 minutes though - we haven't done that at all well in previous seasons.

The problems pertain primarily to the mentality (still). As soon as Leicester put us under a period of concerted pressure, heads went down and we crumbled. Only being successful can help eradicate that though, making today's win even more important.

to be fair the whole second half from start to finish was just we defending and leicester on the front foot. When Doumbia got subbed it all got even worse though.

Great win and 3 points but we have a lot to work on,

The amount of times a simple ball over the top caused us problems was a concern, they also seemed to have a midfielder getting into space between our midfield and defence.

We will improve though so while we are still finding our feet with so many new players bedding in we need to pick up wins like this so I am pleased,

I wouldn't mind a midfielder (Frimpong) on loan as when Doumbia left the field we were shit mainly because Edwards is total shite, he was a complete passenger.

Well, no-one who knows anything about football could deny that we were lucky. Thought Leicester were at least a goal better than us, and on that performance (even allowing for improvement) I don’t see us challenging for promotion.

Positives for me were SEB (and I’ve been one of his critics) and Doyle. I also thought the defence did well. Sako’s delivery good but worried about the way he faded.

Negatives? A few…

General lack of pace in the team, especially midfield.
    We simply didn’t look as physically fit as Leicester – and by quite some distance
    Peszko – contribution of Leicester’s half-time sub put Peszko’s performance into perspective
    The way we allow people to run at our back four is alarming – as someone said previously, no wonder we conceded so many last year allowing people to run at us like that
    The other thing is that some of our players don’t seem to have very good football brains. The number of wrong/stupid decisions we make is worrying.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, but it’s going to be a long road back to the Premiership. No-one should ever underestimate what a shambles we were when STS arrived.
    Prediction 24th January: 14 games to go: 6 wins, 5 draws, 3 defeats - final points 57 when the league finishes in May 2023...

Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    Very worried about how we faded so badly in the second half. Superb to come away with the three points - no one will remember the performance at the end of the season, they will look at the points and although we were lucky, we fought and scrapped for those points.

Why Waghorne didn't go across Ikeme when he hit the post I will never know. That's the tight margins we play to and on another day it'll be us on the wrong end of the scoreline

Henry man of the match although I thought SEB played very well before he went off. Sako faded badly and his sloppy pass at the end was criminal. I'm also worried about Sigurdsson who didn't look interested at all, he looks weak and again, his pass at the end to give possession away was dreadful.

Its safe to say I'm much happier with the result then the performance.
    Thought the front two did reasonably well today, as for Siggy, that pass at the end was criminal but think he just needs more game time cos on the few occasions he's come on he looks like he can open defences up with some intelligent play

Siggy clearly looks like he has a footballing brain, he will get some more gametime when the season goes on

From Dudley to Malta and back to Stourbridge
    Can't remember Edwards's name being mentioned once he was on the pitch !!
    Karl Henry summed up in one moment about 10 minutes from time - all alone on the half way line with the ball - nobody near him and hadn't got a fucking clue what to do !!!
    No challenge from midfield second half - very very lucky to get 3 points today.
    Most of the game was like watching a MM team playing.
    VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED - I JUST HOPE HE CAN SORT IT OUT - QUICKLY
    We're all doomed

Quote Originally Posted by malta mick View Post
    Can't remember Edwards's name being mentioned once he was on the pitch !!
    Karl Henry summed up in one moment about 10 minutes from time - all alone on the half way line with the ball - nobody near him and hadn't got a fucking clue what to do !!!
    No challenge from midfield second half - very very lucky to get 3 points today.
    Most of the game was like watching a MM team playing.
    VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED - I JUST HOPE HE CAN SORT IT OUT - QUICKLY
    Disappointed with three points? Leicester are a good team, and if we beat them when not at our best, just think what will happen when are playing well.

Delighted with the three points, but a lot still needs to be addressed.

SEB and Doyle worked extremely hard throughout, Henry is crucial to this side at the moment and I thought Karl ikeme did a very professional job again.

We keep playing this high line of defence which is just so dangerous and we were nearly caught out so many times today, sako had a decent game but he did fade and does not track back enough leaving ward two on one on many occasions.
    Pszeko had a quite game and could have contributed more.

Overall good win but a very average display but if we do that another 26 times this season I won't complain.

i dont think we will be this lucky many times this season, they were all over us and should have scored at least two more

Quote Originally Posted by freddeno View Post
    i dont think we will be this lucky many times this season, they were all over us and should have scored at least two more
    Let's hope a little less luck is needed from game to game as the season progresses.