Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football Coaching Thread

What would you say are the key points to coaching are in your opinion. What do you learn as you move through levels that perhaps who never previously considered. What to you makes a good coach?
    In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by big mean bunny View Post
    I can never remember his name but that was a lad on my course that had played for Carlisle and he was in right before me and failed as he had running with the ball but had made his end game pitch too small so there wasn't enough room to run with the ball.

I am booked on the FA youth module and Level 2 GK course for the summer, I contacted a few of the non league sides though about going and helping out with there u19s and u21s sides and didn't get any joy.
    And to Slink too, if you book yourself on the courses (Level 3) there will be a lot of people on the course with links to clubs, both pro and semi-pro. I worked with Macclesfield (League 2 at the time) due to a coach there being on the same course and managed to complete all of my hours with their school of excellence (U15, 16 and U18). I would say to both of you it is more about experience and getting as many practices as you can see in. I also found Universities and colleges are helpful to get some hours in and the standard of player is decent. I would say aim higher than local Sunday teams as the quality will not be there.

My biggest bugbear is coaches that still line players up and stick to the guidelines set out by the FA in their drills. It is basic run of the mill stuff and shows a lack of imagination and adaptation, but then it's supposed to be basic and run of the mill for you to expand on, not teach to the letter.

The coaching family website is a good start. I have a lot of practices and I think it might be a good idea to load a few up so people can have a look, does anybody have anything specific they want an alternative for? Shooting from distance? switching play? a simple warm up with the ball? and do you want it is a function, small sided game (8v8) or attack vs defence?
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Knows View Post
    What would you say are the key points to coaching are in your opinion. What do you learn as you move through levels that perhaps who never previously considered. What to you makes a good coach?
    That all depends on what you want out of the game and what your style is. I've seen shouters and screamers get their teams to win and be regimented and some people like their coaches to do that (Pav's style). I've also seen people that hardly say a word and let their practices do the talking. I think a good coach is somebody who is comfortable with their style, makes the players know that that is their style and so all know what their role is out on the pitch. Have goals to your practices but also have people enjoy them as it is known that if players enjoy the games and practices you put on they will get more out of them. It is also worth knowing that sometimes something wont work, it is imperative as a coach that you recognise that and don't berate players if they cant do what you ask of them. It can take a long time to change behaviour so patience is absolutely key to coaching.

I know it sounds daft but look the part, have the right kit and don't baffle players with science. If you tell any player at any level more than 3 instructions it will not sink in, so don't bother.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

you can't book onto the level 3 now though without submitting your final plan CPD statement thing from the level 2, and one of the things I was told was to get experience working at a higher level before being allowed to do the level 3, although I am not sure how strict they are about enforcing that?

As for my style I am very laid back, part of that is because of my work, I work in a massively deprived area of Rotherham and the kids don't respond to shouting, instructions don't work as they want to do their own thing and are generally low resistance learners. So I try to mix up coaching with getting their input, a couple of times a year I let them pick the side and formation but make them explain it to me and their choices, the kids are the ones that want to win I find, my goal is to develop them and keep them interested in school, as a coach I want to make them good passionate footballers however one of my aims is to find out in 15 years time that they are still playing as adults.

In training I get about 20-28 pupils and so I don't do drills that involve any sort of line, the plus side is I can often have full size practise matches or lots of 5 - 6 a side games going on. During the practise matches I will let play run but offer individual advise to some players if needed but will stop the game at 15/20 minute intervals and let the players analysis what is happening. I get them to give me two things they are doing well and then one thing they need to improve on or do better.

Hardly any of them play on the weekends due to their circumstances and so in years 7 & 8 we were regularly getting hammered as we were facing other school sides that all had the odd academy player and the rest were club players, however I have gotten them to a level now where we hold our own and play some fantastic football at times, now a lot of them are playing for clubs having been spotted by coaches and parents of the other teams players and now two have had a number of academy trails and are playing in the top level of youth football so thats a massive boost.

Personally, with the internet and media coverage of football I personally feel that the current young players are more aware tactically and can do things that I couldn't have done at their age.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    they were the ones i expected to like Paul Merson's son
    Sam or Ben?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Sam or Ben?
    Charlie, it's his eldest i think. Absolute spitting image of him.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    ah I know Sam (looks a lot like him too)and knew he had a brother called Ben. Didn't know there was another!

So I had futsal with my lads today, one of the ones I mentioned has just finished his trial with scunny and they haven't kept him on but have told him they will take another look at him next season, they gave him some areas to work on. Strength (he is a small lad as it is) control bringing balls out the air, and they want to see him moving and positioning the ball more when he has it. Anyone got anything I can pass on for him to do by himself. I have given him four markers for the time being and told him to make a square and see how high he can get the ball in the air and control it on the way down whilst keeping it in the square, ideally with someone throwing or kicking the ball in space permitting.

Also showed him something I saw in 442 the other week, make an L shape near the corner of two walls, use your left foot and pass into the wall and then let the ball roll across your body as it comes back and then pass with your right onto the other side and repeat. I think it was from mikey artea (cheat!)

Quality of youth football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYvCE2xO6KQ

Really gutted for my u12s yesterday. Cup quarter finals, had to play with one less man (it's 9-a-side) as had a few players away. All I asked was for them to keep their shape without the ball, and restrict their chances. They did it brilliantly, and had it not been for a cheating linesman (the opposition's coach) we'd have been one up too! Ended up losing one nil to their only real chance of the game but very pleased with them. Showed they have good discipline to go with their ability. With some new faces, got some good players training with me at the moment hoping to sign, they have a good opportunity to do well next season.

sounds good that, I booked onto my youth module 1 today, anyone done that?

Booked onto that too and the Module 2 a couple of months after. Sounds good and educational!

bit too long winded for me that! I saw on the Bundesliga show on ESPN (the one that the really tall guy presents) that you need to have an elite level academy to be in the top two leagues and that you need to have a certain amount of your spaces given to local players. I can't remember who it was, but one of the teams in the Bundesliga have there players sleep at the ground, some of the corporate boxes are actually dorms that house the players. So they live and sleep at the stadium and work there during the home games.

Anyone coaching a team at any summer tournaments? my u12s will be in a few 5/6-a sides. Always enjoy it, kids have a good time, weather is usually nice and my boys will show everyone what good football they can play

started my fa module 1 today and am not massively impressed if I am honest, there are some right bellends on the course which doesn't help as they won't shut up and a couple are really over opinionated. The world of amateur/grassroots football coaching doesn't half attract some tools. It mainly seems to be about the social development side of players (specifically younger players) which, without trying to sound arrogant I know about as I have literally just studied it as I did a PTLLS as I am trying to become a teacher, I imagine if you don't have that background its more enjoyable though, although its always good to meet other coaches.

Some of the things from today that people said:

England need to play two out and out wingers, and get someone like crouch back up front
    England don't produce good technical players

Grassroots football is full of wannabe Mourinhos who think they are tactical masterminds... just smile and nod and move on aha!

Eventful weekend for me. Had an incident with the u8s I help with, doing a game with a guy (younger than me) while the main coach did a game on an adjacent pitch. At half time as we had no goalkeeper we had to work out who's turn it was and it was a boy who had been in voluntarily before. His Mum and grandad see me telling him, and come rushing over telling me he's not going in goal and if he does, they are taking him home. We find a solution as we get a boy a few years older to go in goal as it is non competitive anyway, so with an extra man the kid who wasn't going in goal started as sub. While the game's going on, the grandad comes over to me and the other coach effing and blinding, ranting about other kids not going in goal and how we are treating him badly. Goes back to the other side and starts getting in an argument with a few other parents! Think they are getting kicked out, feel sorry for the boy as he's a lovely kid and cracking player.

On a positive note, that club want me to do the current u7s lot next year which will be a brilliant experience for me and the u13s I help my Dad got in their cup final!

Parents just ruin football for kids sometimes. Fucking ridiculous.

It's horrible. This kids is really good too! He was with Tottenham development before (got let go) but could definitely progress to be an academy player if his family weren't such wankers.

today has been slightly better, more people were speaking today so it was good to get some opinions of other coaches.

The same guy was moaning about the fa trying to do away with leagues at the lower levels as he was saying "whats the point of me getting up to coach u9s having a kick about if there is no league to try and win or measure how they are doing" it is literally like he hasn't been listening for the last two days.

on a side note though I found out today that there is a sheffield coaches association (as the lad that runs it was on the course) and that once a month they get a guest coach in. This year they had Thelwell up and they were raving about him to me today when they found out I was a Wolves fan, I am signing up to it and the lad that runs it told me that Thelwell said he would be more than happy to come back and do more work with them, said that when he came in he went round and shook everyones hands and tried to find a little bit out about who and where they coach before he started his session.

Some people genuinely don't get it, ha! They are so focused on measuring themselves by how much they win it's quite sad.

Nice to hear good things about Thelwell

Went to St George's park this morning for a CPD event and i've got to say i'm impressed with the setup and standard of everything there i just hope that we don't take it for granted and think just because it's there that it will just happen. We need the F.A. and everyone involved in football to make things happen and use the facilities available.

So I started some new coaching last night, there is a centre near me that does footy for the kids in the local area. I went down to speak to them a few weeks ago as I am interested in doing some additional work and they told me to come down yesterday to work with the u21s, I hadn't planned anything or thought I would be involved but when I got there the coach told me I was doing the first 25 minutes so he could see what I was like!

proper nerve wracking however it went fairly well and I got some really good feedback on what he wants to see more of from me. The feedback was really concise and technical too and the lad told me that whilst I will be working with the players, he will be working with me, he is a level 3/Uefa B holder and played professionally and has coached for the last 25 years or some.

I have to take a plan next week as I am in charge of the first 25 minutes again. Yesterday was the first time I have really felt like a coach though, as I was put on the spot and managed to come through. I literally asked the players what they wanted to work on and then went from there.

so despite my moaning I actually really enjoyed this weekend of the youth module 1, the booklet they gave out has some really good practises in it that I will be doing with my adult side as well as my youth so will try and scan them in and get them up if I can't find a version of them else where.

http://thecoachingfamily.files.wordp...ding-ebook.pdf

Will definitely be using some of these Look interesting for anyone who wants to work on some defending!

Got my Level 2 now Youth Modules 1 and 2 in July and September too which will be good

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Got my Level 2 now Youth Modules 1 and 2 in July and September too which will be good
    awesome work mate, what did the pass rate seem to be from your course? I know more people that have failed than passed!