Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football Coaching Thread

In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Thanks mate. (BMB)

It was with my college but we still had some people not turn up for it but I'd say about half of us!

Tom Ince, on how his dad used to react after watching his son under perform: "If I had a bad game he would be spitting in my face..."

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.

An old favourite, one the young kids love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vXXn...ature=youtu.be

can't remember what his name is but saw a lot of videos of that coach on the youth module 1 when I did it the other month.

Saw a really good drill today from one of the other coaches, he set up a 20 x 20 grid for the warm up, 4v4 with 1 floater, played 2 two touch but the coach was mainly focusing on the one floater, encouraging him to try and be the play maker, make space to receive or take it on the move etc. Everyone else is involved and challenged to keep the ball for as many passes as possible, if the team without the ball knock it out then the other side start with the ball again to try and encourage them to win the ball rather than lunge in. The one player playing both ways always seemed to be making really good progression though due to how focuses the coach was on him and how he was getting one on one feedback.

To become a top coach should English coaches learn at least two foreign languages so they are able to take continental coaching courses?

As you see with Pep Guardiola in Germany today he works hard to become part of his new culture by learning the language.

I was thinking that, out in Lanzarote none of us could speak any Spanish, it got to the point where they had to ask me how to say stuff and my Spanish is VERY basic! Motivated me to start learning again though. I'd love to coach in Spain

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    I was thinking that, out in Lanzarote none of us could speak any Spanish, it got to the point where they had to ask me how to say stuff and my Spanish is VERY basic! Motivated me to start learning again though. I'd love to coach in Spain
    Interpretation is obviously different between different countries, so to learn in Spain or Germany must give you different thoughts on the game.
    This to me is where English coaches take the idle route, not learning languages to learn valuable lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Knows View Post
    Interpretation is obviously different between different countries, so to learn in Spain or Germany must give you different thoughts on the game.
    This to me is where English coaches take the idle route, not learning languages to learn valuable lessons.
    You would be surprised at how many coaches go abroad and have o study abroad for their Pro license. Billy Davies took his whole coaching staff to Madrid for a fortnight's shadowing when he left Derby.

Messrs Ferguson Jnr, Keane and Hughes have all studied abroad as is Joey Barton right now. Does it improve you as a coach, undoubtedly, does it change your mindset, not so sure. It is the open mindedness of the individual that needs to change to allow foreign coaching methods not just the want to go and watch something different. The coach may well come away and say 'Don't like that system' or 'We're doing it better'. Something I think British and particularly English coaches are very poor at.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Ancelotti has confirmed he's taking Paul Clement to Real Madrid with him as assistant alongside Zidane. Great achievement.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote from Del Bosque on hangups over precise formations: "The 'system' is a photograph, and then the players develop it."

Coaching keepers. Doubt Wayne Hennessey has reached this intensity as yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6_c31B52r0

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3277/...h?ICID=HP_BN_3

"You have to accept that you don't know much and to accept that if you give yourself the means, you can grow and learn even at my age.

http://www.football-for-life.com/ins...fcb-stars.aspx

Even the Dutch Luis Suarez, Roy Makaay has to start at the bottom in Holland with the under 13 side, now graduated to the under 15. No short cuts, time served only.
    Premier league take note.

Finished the Youth Module 1 course yesterday. Would advise any coach to do it, has really made me think about how I coach, what I can do better and what I do well already. Quite intensive but lots of information!

good to hear mate, I know I was quite down on mine in this thread, however without sounding like a billy big bollocks I already knew loads of it due to my work and having recently completed a PTTLS qualification. However still picked up a lot from it, it would have been way more useful to be part of the actual level 1 in my mind. I start my level 2 goal keeping on Sunday. Been finding loads of great stuff on twitter too, been following the coaching family which I found from here, but also @tadtaylor and @tonymee and a few others. Who all put up drills and interesting reads. Tony Mee was in charge of Rotherham and I started to follow him after meeting him although he has moved to York now to be head of their academy.

Does anyone know any software for designing your own drills? I have mine wrote down in a book but would love to get digital versions of them up, and as I am dyslexic it wouldn't be worth scanning my coaching notes as I have extremely poor writing.

I've definitely altered my coaching style a bit, and give the kids more chances to be creative and make their own decisions. There's a balance to be found with that though, I can't let things get out of control. The coaching family stuff on twitter is really good, I follow them too.

I bought a years subscription to http://www.academysoccercoach.co.uk/ for about 20 quid, I've created quie a few training sessions that I've used or seen on my iPad.

Freddeno is offline Koscielny Fan Club President, PTG Euro Winner 2016 and all round FPU artist - Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    I've definitely altered my coaching style a bit, and give the kids more chances to be creative and make their own decisions. There's a balance to be found with that though, I can't let things get out of control. The coaching family stuff on twitter is really good, I follow them too.

I bought a years subscription to http://www.academysoccercoach.co.uk/ for about 20 quid, I've created quie a few training sessions that I've used or seen on my iPad.
    Good to hear YW..I hope you succeed in your managerial career (im sure you will in some way)
    "In Nuno we trust!!" UTW!

yeah thats the best thing YW, the learning is only knowledge if you know how to use it. He comes across a bit David Brent at time but is actually a brilliant school teacher and a great boss, Its a mentality they are teaching with the mod 1 and a lot of people on the course I was on didn't grasp it. The drills from the book are good too, been doing them with my adult side. That decisions decisions game is what our lads always want to finish sessions with. I actually "nicked" some resources from ACS too so will have a look into there paid section then. I have made my own coaching book for next season, so I can better analysis what happens during the game and then use it to plan the next sessions and got some review and set pieces stuff from them.

I am looking to make a players handbook for my adult side so just after a way of doing some specific formation templates so I can put down some player roles and responsibilities. Not something that I learnt on an fa course but I have been working with a coach who has been telling me that the best teams are the ones who know what they should be doing when their team is out of possession. Really interesting, not something I had done before but I graded the players I manage at adult level to the long term plan I designed for my school side. And then designed some formations around the players, rather than shoe horning people into areas. Been playing 4-3-1-2 or 4-3-2-1 and its really improved our results, especially as teams don't seem used to playing against such a style, and we are so much better off the ball.

The tutors I had we're brilliant. I had Matty Joseph (ex-Orient) and he really pushed us, always asking questions but it was for our benefit. Had someone who worked at Charlton's academy, another from Cambridge, and another who is a chairman of a club in the same league as my under 13s. Matt told us to stay in contact and I do have a few questions I will email him.

The decisions decisions game is great, I used that last Saturday. And the space recognition one which I think is quite useful.

One of the things they talked about too was how as a country we don't reflect well enough. As well as planning sessions, I want to make sure I evaluate training sessions and games. I want to be as organised as possible, got my club to give me a tactics board too

I am, and always have been from when I was younger, a 433 fan. With my under 13s I've been looking at shape a little, and they seem to understand it. I will go into it more when they all turn up to training more regularly but I've got them keeping a good defensive shape already.

I've got exactly the type players I need to play how I prefer too. I've got three full backs in the squad who really love bombing forward and I've got attacking players who like to carry the ball and cut inside. I've entered them in the London cup and with a couple more players they should definitely be looking to challenge for 1st in their league!

did they show you the video about England teams? and how they line up in different formations but always drift back to 442?

really interesting, maybe not part of the course then as they showed us on a lunch break, showed loads of different England managers teams that set up with non 442 formations, then showed some stills of the game 20-35 minutes in and the players had all reverted to 442 as a shape, with no instruction from the management apparently.

Also talked about how everyone used to slag Venables and make a big deal about his Xmas tree formation not being any good despite him getting us to a final. Effectively a 3 at the back with Southgate stepping into midfield on attacks, a very fluid style hybrid style of play and as a country it was lambasted.

That is interesting, shame I never got to see that. Doesn't surprise me though!

Man Utd on development of Under 9 players from a few years ago.

"At 16, we could play Scholesy for only 20 minutes a game. He couldn't run. He was a little one.
    Had asthma. No strength. No power. No athleticism. No endurance. 'You've got a bleeding
    dwarf,' I remember somebody said to Brian Kidd [the then youth-team coach]. 'You will eat your
    words,' said Kiddo. If Scholesy had been at a lesser club, they would have got rid of him and he
    would probably not be in the game now. We stuck with Scholesy, a wonderful technician. How
    many caps did he get? Sixty-six?!"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/...kJW98TJ-w&dl=1

no where near enough caps, like a slightly more accepted Le Tiss, in that we are English and didn't really value what he offered at the International level.