Page 815 of 910 FirstFirst ... 315715765805813814815816817825865 ... LastLast
Results 24,421 to 24,450 of 27278

Thread: The Cricket Thread (Sponsored and loved by the Banned Bully & the Norwegian Hobbit)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Woakes has more wickets in the first 10 overs of ODI's since 2016 than any other bowler in World cricket.

His average of 24 per wicket,in the first 10 overs is second in world cricket over the same period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Woakes got motm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Rightly so. Awesome performance. Almost world class .
    Not looking for an argument but what does constitute world class. Would he get into a World XI ahead of Starc, Archer, Amir, Boult, Bumrah? Probably not but boy is he a vital cog in England's quest for glory.

If I was to choose an opening pair it would be Starc and Bumrah so there would be no place for Woakes to bowl anywhere else in the line up.

Not looking for an argument but what does constitute world class. Would he get into a World XI ahead of Starc, Archer, Amir, Boult, Bumrah? Probably not but boy is he a vital cog in England's quest for glory.
    No he has been great this tournament. He keeps performing like that and I am really happy to upgrade my opinion of him. He has played 97 one dayers. This was his first man of the match? Maybe not but he hasn't had many. I would still pick stark , Cummins Amir, archer ahead of him , but he bowled beautifully today. Has done none of that abroad though and we don't need another James Anderson light. Sorry if that's harsh. Just having a Woakes reality check.
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

World Cup XI

Warner
    Roy
    Bairstow
    Shakib Al Hasan
    Williamson
    Stokes
    Carey
    Starc
    Bumrah
    Amir
    Boult

World Cup XI

Roy
    Bairstow
    Hasan
    Williamson
    Stokes
    Carey

Starc
    Bumrah
    Sorry to disagree

Warner
    Roy
    Rohit
    Root
    Williamson
    Bairstow
    Carey
    Stokes
    Starc
    Bumrah
    Amir

No spinner. Root can have a twirl. That lot won't lose many.

No he has been great this tournament. He keeps performing like that and I am really happy to upgrade my opinion of him. He has played 97 one dayers. This was his first man of the match? Maybe not but he hasn't had many. I would still pick stark , Cummins Amir, archer ahead of him , but he bowled beautifully today. Has done none of that abroad though and we don't need another James Anderson light. Sorry if that's harsh. Just having a Woakes reality check.
    I'm only talking ODI's, he wouldn't get in England's test team.

In one of his first odi's in Australia he took 6 wickets that at the time was one of the best bowling figures for an England player in an ODI.

If he is so bad overseas then why is he the leading first 10 overs wicket taker over the last 4 years.? I'm with you that other bowlers are better but we shouldn't dismiss what he has done for England in getting to no. 1 in the world.

I'm only talking ODI's, he wouldn't get in England's test team.

In one of his first odi's in Australia he took 6 wickets that at the time was one of the best bowling figures for an England player in an ODI.

If he is so bad overseas then why is he the leading first 10 overs wicket taker over the last 4 years.? I'm with you that other bowlers are better but we shouldn't dismiss what he has done for England in getting to no. 1 in the world.
    No quite right. And I won't. But he is 30 and has been around a long time. I agree he is a vital cog. But his overall record is good at best. He will have days like today here in England and occasionally abroad. However, Starc, Amir, Cummins, Archer, will win motm awards in pretty much every country they play and to me that's the small step from good, Woakes , to world class.

World Cup XI

Warner
    Roy
    Bairstow
    Shakib Al Hasan
    Williamson
    Stokes
    Carey
    Starc
    Bumrah
    Amir
    Boult
    That won't lose many games eiher tbf. Bit of a tail? However they would have 300 on the board before then!

No quite right. And I won't. But he is 30 and has been around a long time. I agree he is a vital cog. But his overall record is good at best. He will have days like today here in England and occasionally abroad. However, Starc, Amir, Cummins, Archer, will win motm awards in pretty much every country they play and to me that's the small step from good, Woakes , to world class.
    5 of his top 7 ODI bowling figures have been overseas. I'll Pass on his motm awards.

I don't particularly want another Woakes debate, but in ODI's it's a myth that he only performs at home. In Tests that would be fair though. World Class for me is whether someone would get into one of the best two 11's in the World, I think he would make the 2nd 11 in this competition. I accept that the opening bowlers would be Starc and Bumrah and you wouldn't pick him to be first change, but I'd have him opening the bowling with Boult for the 2nd 11.

5 of his top 7 ODI bowling figures have been overseas. I'll Pass on his motm awards.
    I don't particularly want another Woakes debate, but in ODI's it's a myth that he only performs at home. In Tests that would be fair though. World Class for me is whether someone would get into one of the best two 11's in the World, I think he would make the 2nd 11 in this competition. I accept that the opening bowlers would be Starc and Bumrah and you wouldn't pick him to be first change, but I'd have him opening the bowling with Boult for the 2nd 11.
    Youre slowly convincing me gents!

Devon, via Whitmore Reans and Castlecroft
    Other way round. Cricket is going to More4
    Are we sure about that? It's not showing on any guide I can find.
    These are the days, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark View Post
    Are we sure about that? It's not showing on any guide I can find.
    Here you go

https://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/broad...141153.article

Devon, via Whitmore Reans and Castlecroft
    Cheers, that's a relief.
    These are the days, my friend

So the final is available for anyone with a TV.

As England are in it I think that's fantastic news for any cricket fan.

Tbf to Woakes I thought he bowled superbly against Australia and fielded well and on the balance of things deserved his MoM award.

He just pipped Roy for the honour who would surely have been picked had he gone on but for that diabolical umpire decision and his understandable dissent (something else to blame Bairstow for ).
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

FYI The umpires for the final are the pair that we had for the semi against Australia.

I'm not particularly concerned about that, but feel that any residual pressure from the Roy/Dharmasena incident may have been avoided by appointing either 3rd umpire Tucker (the only Aussie to take part in the final ) or 4th official Aleem Dar to on-field duties instead of Dharmassena. Common sense IMO.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    and Dharmaseena punished by being given the Final on Sunday?
    Oh look...
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    Oh look...
    You must be psychic

I would liken it to... If a Premier League referee gave a goal when the ball had actually hit the side netting would his next game to be awarded the FA Cup final?
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

He's normally a decent umpire, just had a brain fart. Ultimately DRS is there to correct exactly that type of howler which is why you shouldn't use your review on the plumbest of LBW's on the off chance of a no ball.
    Keeping your review on Umpires call should ensure it really

That's what I find odd with the rules on reviews. If the umpire isn't sure then he should ask for a review as ultimately people want the right decision not a cock up.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    That's what I find odd with the rules on reviews. If the umpire isn't sure then he should ask for a review as ultimately people want the right decision not a cock up.
    Roy called for a review and he did the tv motion straight away. I think in the moment he forgot we'd burnt our review, wasn't sure so gave it thinking the correct decision would have been made one way or another. He should have given not out and let the Aussies review it.

Dharmaseena is an excellent umpire, who made one poor decision. I have no problems at all with him being in the middle for the final.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

He's normally a decent umpire, just had a brain fart. Ultimately DRS is there to correct exactly that type of howler which is why you shouldn't use your review on the plumbest of LBW's on the off chance of a no ball.
    Keeping your review on Umpires call should ensure it really
    Agree with the first sentence.

DRS wasn't allowed to be used even though the third umpire must have seen the mistake that had been made, as viewers were shown it before Roy left the field. So even the 3rd umpire wasn't 'allowed' to use the result of the technology even though a howler had obviously been made.

The player didn't make a mistake, the umpire did, and I feel that the umpire team realised that but wouldn't correct the situation so IMO they were protecting their reputations first and foremost, which I find distasteful.

Btw I've seen what several posters have said on here about Bairstows' decision to review and wonder what they would have said if he had got a feather on it, as his bat was close to the ball. His decision was no worse than Finch's, but ultimately wrong, and because of the stupid rules regarding the tech., very unfortunate for Roy.

DRS should be kept for absolute howlers, and Bairstow's wasnt a howler.
    Even if it was a howler, given the context of the game, Bairstow should have sucked it up, taken one for the team, and walked. He wasn't contributing like Roy was, or like Root, Morgan or others might do after him, so he should have gone.
    Personally I don't know the umpire in question well, or his reputation, but did think it odd that an umpire team used in one of the semis would also do the final.
    My name is Geoff...

The World Cup wasn't important. It was always about the Ashes. This is possibly the most Australian report you are ever going to read, just misses out the countries of birth of Roy, Stokes etc or the coach being an Aussie for its grudging acceptance that we are better than them.

I do agree on the Roy point though, he will get found out at Test level, we just don't really have much alternative

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...12-p526lz.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dinowolf View Post
    FYI The umpires for the final are the pair that we had for the semi against Australia.

I'm not particularly concerned about that, but feel that any residual pressure from the Roy/Dharmasena incident may have been avoided by appointing either 3rd umpire Tucker (the only Aussie to take part in the final ) or 4th official Aleem Dar to on-field duties instead of Dharmassena. Common sense IMO.
    Aleem dar sucks as an umpire!

Dharmaseenas fine. He just got one wrong. It happens. Roy gave his lugoles a stinging, copped a fine so be sure that Dharma gets the next one right!

Aleem dar sucks as an umpire!

Dharmaseenas fine. He just got one wrong. It happens. Roy gave his lugoles a stinging, copped a fine so be sure that Dharma gets the next one right!
    Or he'll get another one wrong and crumble.

The World Cup wasn't important. It was always about the Ashes. This is possibly the most Australian report you are ever going to read, just misses out the countries of birth of Roy, Stokes etc or the coach being an Aussie for its grudging acceptance that we are better than them.

I do agree on the Roy point though, he will get found out at Test level, we just don't really have much alternative

With Roy, it depends to an extent what's expected of him. If there's not much alternative then he may as well be tried.

You never know he might turn out to be another Colin Milburn.

That whole article is fucking hilarious. Awwww no poor Australia are crying. Fuck off you fucking convict cunts.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

My biggest LOL at this article was when they made a big point about the suspensions for ball tampering being over and above ICC rulings, then accused England of rule bending to bring in Archer, when actually the ECB only went in line with the ICC rulings instead of their previous overly harsh restrictions.
    My name is Geoff...