Page 862 of 909 FirstFirst ... 362762812852860861862863864872 ... LastLast
Results 25,831 to 25,860 of 27252

Thread: The Cricket Thread (Sponsored and loved by the Banned Bully & the Norwegian Hobbit)

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    So the coach and the selectors are to blame? There's also one other who has a major role in who plays and how we play, can't quite put my finger on his name. Perhaps its his fault too?
    Is it Kevin Thelwell?

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Is it Kevin Thelwell?
    It's always Kevin Thelwell's fault.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    So the coach and the selectors are to blame? There's also one other who has a major role in who plays and how we play, can't quite put my finger on his name. Perhaps its his fault too?
    Can't be he's the best player. Why would your best player be at fault?
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Our most influential player (or best if you like) has just been ruled out for the 2nd test and maybe the whole series.

Are you saying we need to get to the root of the problem...
    My name is Geoff...

There are many areas where some blame can be apportioned but I'll use the analogy of Wolves.

Look at the difference Nuno and his coaches have made to Wolves. That's what needs to happen with England Test cricket. People who know what they're doing.

I think Ashley Giles said the other week that we have concentrated on white ball cricket and built it up brilliantly, but we now need to do the same for our red ball cricket, with the help of the Counties.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

They are different games - we mostly have different players, we need to have different coaches too.

Selectors possibly too, as good a story as it is appointing James Taylor as a test selector is a bit random.
    )

Ed Smith makes his stupid maverick picks but predictably enough there's no longevity in them.

Denly is a joke, seriously the worst player I think we've picked this century, only possibly rivalled by Amjad Khan.

Buttler doesn't have a role and we shuffle him up and down forever trying to find him one. It's not helping him.

Rashid will probably never play Test cricket again.

Picking Curran to open the bowling in the Caribbean was ludicrous and quite possibly has set him back.

Pope is injured but I don't think picking him and playing him way above where he plays for Surrey helped in any way.

We all know the situation with Roy, we were sort of on board out of desperation, I think Sunglasses Ed genuinely thinks it'll work.

Bess has to try rebuilding his whole career, he's even been farmed out on loan at one stage this season.

I'm not a huge fan.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Sir Alastair Cook to come on board coaching batting ,for tests only please. Why?

Left handed
    Concentrated
    Best technique we have seen in the last 10 years for us
    Decent well liked Captain
    respected
    Calm
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

6-27 for Sir Jofra Archer today for Sussex 2nds (12 overs)

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Sir Alastair Cook to come on board coaching batting ,for tests only please. Why?

Left handed
    Concentrated
    Best technique we have seen in the last 10 years for us
    Decent well liked Captain
    respected
    Calm
    I hear he's a good farmer too.

None of the above having anything to do with coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    6-27 for Sir Jofra Archer today for Sussex 2nds (12 overs)
    https://twitter.com/sussexccc/status...535834113?s=21

He looks fit to me! Some of those shots though...

Hes just got a century too btw

Cook to come in as coach, but only if the best other coach is sacked, so that he looks better..?
    My name is Geoff...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    I hear he's a good farmer too.

None of the above having anything to do with coaching.
    You and I did very different coaching qualifications then.

Getting respect from your students is usually better with credibility in the subject you are coaching. Difficult to coach and improve people technically who are better than you? Mourinho didn't improve anyone technically which is what a batting coach should do.

I use him as the example as he is extremely successful yet no professional football career to speak of.

Good players don't necessarily make good coaches (and Cook's communication skills aren't the best). If they did then we'd have Bully coaching our strikers forever.

Also Cook still plays for Essex.

Twitter
    Facebook

Good players don't necessarily make good coaches (and Cook's communication skills aren't the best). If they did then we'd have Bully coaching our strikers forever.

Also Cook still plays for Essex.
    I may be splitting hairs a bit here but we are looking to improve techniques not tactics.

Would you have Shane warns as a batting coach? No
    But he could teach leg spin bowling technique.

That's all I was trying to get the best to get improvement from the rest.

I'm not sure when Sir Alastair would have the time. He doesn't seem to play T20 any more but otherwise Essex is a full time job for him. Then he's got his lambing and stuff.

I wouldn't mind him popping in every now and then for a few words of advice but coaching doesn't seem viable right now. We already have Colly on the books, if they aren't going to listen to him then why would they listen to Cook? Thorpe as well was a master of the "you won't get me out" innings in his final 2-3 years. Head batting coach.

The current players are just technically and mentally deficient for how we'd like them to play. Sadly.

Twitter
    Facebook

I'm not sure when Sir Alastair would have the time. He doesn't seem to play T20 any more but otherwise Essex is a full time job for him. Then he's got his lambing and stuff.

I wouldn't mind him popping in every now and then for a few words of advice but coaching doesn't seem viable right now. We already have Colly on the books, if they aren't going to listen to him then why would they listen to Cook? Thorpe as well was a master of the "you won't get me out" innings in his final 2-3 years. Head batting coach.

The current players are just technically and mentally deficient for how we'd like them to play. Sadly.
    Fair enough.

Bat Woakes at three ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    You and I did very different coaching qualifications then.

Getting respect from your students is usually better with credibility in the subject you are coaching. Difficult to coach and improve people technically who are better than you? Mourinho didn't improve anyone technically which is what a batting coach should do.

I use him as the example as he is extremely successful yet no professional football career to speak of.
    We must have done very different coaching courses. A coach is only as good as their ability to change players mastery of the thing they are trying to learn. That doesn't mean the coach needs to be superior at those skills (otherwise the best would always be the coach) it is the coaches job to hone and develop skills that are superior to their own and the best coaches recognise and nurture those who have far more talent than themselves.

In short it is never about the coaches ability to play in the game but about getting the best out of those players.

To say Mourinho never improved a player is silly. Drogba was a beast under Mourinho and got better as he got older. Klopp, Wenger and Ferguson wrung every last drop of talent out of their stars whilst not having an ounce of their players ability.

Cricket should be no different.

A coach is only as good as their ability to change players mastery of the thing they are trying to learn.

Yes, I can see that. I think the difference between our stances is you are coaching skill, I am coaching techniques. My coaching is not sports based and I know yours is so I bow to better knowledge on that. Mine was leadership and management based, coaching the coach in many ways but it was very definitely about tangible performance improvement in things like discipline, grievance handling, managing staff and performance and mentoring. I can see that as markedly different from what you are advocating.

It applies in all walks of life, ability does not necessarily translate to passing on that ability.

Without blowing my own trumpet, I'm pretty damn good at languages. I am no teacher though.

Twitter
    Facebook

It applies in all walks of life, ability does not necessarily translate to passing on that ability.

Without blowing my own trumpet, I'm pretty damn good at languages. I am no teacher though.
    Now that's another debate. I am a good trainer. I would train with a subject matter expert. My job was to structure the session correctly to enable learning. Their job was to provide the relevant expertise.
    Last edited by Cyber-_-man; 7th August 2019 at 07:32 AM.

Training and coaching are two separate things though.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    Training and coaching are two separate things though.
    Exactly. Hence why its another debate?

Stone out for two weeks with a back problem so not in contention for Lords.

Warwickshire t20 middle order collapse v Leicestershire, Colin Ackerman tearing them apart 6 wickets for him so far, not great batting tbh

Edit: finished on 7 wickets for 18 after his 4 overs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Positivity.....

Kent, after winning their first 5 t20s , doing their level best to screw up qualification with 2 defeats in three.

Mo dropped (had to happen really)

Somehow Denly is still there.

Twitter
    Facebook

Mo was always gone, but could have made other changes (Denly!!) without ripping the team sheet up
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

Teflon Joe!

They can't say they don't back their selections. Very few one test wonders these days.