Page 909 of 932 FirstFirst ... 409809859899907908909910911919 ... LastLast
Results 27,241 to 27,270 of 27946

Thread: The Cricket Thread (Sponsored and loved by the Banned Bully & the Norwegian Hobbit)

Team for the first test starting at 10pm tonight

Burns
    Sibley
    Denly
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope
    Buttler
    SCurran
    Archer
    Leach
    Broad

Probably about where I would have been with my selection, looking forward to watching the first hour or two.
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

It certainly looks the most balanced we have for a fair while. Even if most of the batting line up has question marks against them

Picks itself bar number 8 really (Woakes averages 61 overseas over quite a long period, Scurran averages 105 with a very small data set, so flip a coin), Denly is always going to get a bit of a run even though we all know he isn't good enough and isn't a long term solution.

Burns and Sibley is going to be brutal to watch I know no-one will care if they actually form a partnership, the key is going to be strike rotation. You can't be dribbling along at 1 an over for ages, it isn't 1972. Tbf Burns improved in this respect as the summer went on.

Not sure what we do in SA if Jimmy is back. Won't go with no spinner, Archer is nailed on, Broad has been excellent now for getting on for two years. So fine, drop the third seamer out, but it leaves you with a hell of a tail. Leach at eight probably!
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Not sure what we do in SA if Jimmy is back. Won't go with no spinner, Archer is nailed on, Broad has been excellent now for getting on for two years. So fine, drop the third seamer out, but it leaves you with a hell of a tail. Leach at eight probably!
    I think it depends on whether we are prioritising short or medium term. Jofra has to open the bowling the winter after in Aus, realistically are Jimmy or Broad going to be first change down there? If not and I don't think they will then should we be trying cement that line up now? Is it time to thank Jimmy for everything give him a goodbye Test next Summer but move on?

Problem with that is:

2013: 31 wickets @ 25.25
    2014: 37 wickets @ 20.89
    2015: 33 wickets @ 25.42
    2016: 30 wickets @ 15.26
    2017: 39 wickets @ 14.10
    2018: 33 wickets @ 18.39

These are astonishing figures at home. If this injury hasn't permanently damaged him and he's back to that kind of form, can you leave someone like that out? Long term or not.

It's like having a striker in his mid 30s who scores 20 goals every season. You know it can't last forever, but to replace them is a right ballache and if they're still doing it, year on year...

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Hullis View Post
    Team for the first test starting at 10pm tonight

Burns
    Sibley
    Denly
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope
    Buttler
    SCurran
    Archer
    Leach
    Broad

Probably about where I would have been with my selection, looking forward to watching the first hour or two.
    Burns L
    Sibley R
    Denly R
    Root R
    Stokes L
    Pope R
    Buttler R
    SCurran L
    Archer R
    Leach L
    Broad L

Better right left balance than there has been in recent ours aborad especially at the top of the order.
    Carole Baskin is to blame.

How does your sinistrophobia fit with a mix of Trescothick/Cook/Strauss being the only acceptable combination we've had since about 2004?

Twitter
    Facebook

Problem with that is:

2013: 31 wickets @ 25.25
    2014: 37 wickets @ 20.89
    2015: 33 wickets @ 25.42
    2016: 30 wickets @ 15.26
    2017: 39 wickets @ 14.10
    2018: 33 wickets @ 18.39

These are astonishing figures at home. If this injury hasn't permanently damaged him and he's back to that kind of form, can you leave someone like that out? Long term or not.

It's like having a striker in his mid 30s who scores 20 goals every season. You know it can't last forever, but to replace them is a right ballache and if they're still doing it, year on year...
    Perhaps at home he does have another Summer in him injury permitting, but he averages 40 in SA so it's not like history suggests he's going to go there and tear them apart. I think where possible we should try and pick the bowling line up we think we'd be taking to Aus.

How does your sinistrophobia fit with a mix of Trescothick/Cook/Strauss being the only acceptable combination we've had since about 2004?
    In comparison to Jennings, Burns,Lyth, Ballance, Duckett and Stoneman since 2015 I would say so yes.

I think Sibley , Burns , Denly Root is about as good as we have at the mome nt , still knowhere near Tres/Cook/ Strauss but then we could have gone right handed and had Trott, Pietersen and Vaughan who were also world class and better than our current lot but RHB.

There are fewer bowlers who move the ball away from RHB as there are fewer Left arm bowlers. Right arm bowlers bowling across left handers is a constant walking wicket currently as pretty much none of the left handers I mentioned learnt how to leave the bloody thing alone. Forever nivking off. Denly too needs to learn where his off stump is as his is a loose driver and it doesnt matter what hand you bat if you drive with the bat away from your body. Sibley and to a lesser extent Burns do have the ability to defend. I hope the ball doesnt wobble to much down there though as 20-5 is still very possible!

KP opened once (trying to chase 250 or so in 30 overs), played at three once (in Bangladesh where we left out Carberry for an extra bowler) and other than that never batted above 4 (178 innings), he doesn't really enter the conversation

What hand they bat with makes no difference, they just need to be good enough.

Twitter
    Facebook

KP opened once (trying to chase 250 or so in 30 overs), played at three once (in Bangladesh where we left out Carberry for an extra bowler) and other than that never batted above 4 (178 innings), he doesn't really enter the conversation

What hand they bat with makes no difference, they just need to be good enough.
    I agree they need to be good enough. The three left handers you mention were our top three batsmen of any hand for a decade pretty much. No other openers come close . Trott at 3 is the closest.Then Vaughan and Root at 4 but we are already going down the order then.

We had got to the stage where 7 of 11 atted left handed with average or worse technique. That was not a strong position. As we still dont have great technique I am glad that there are fewer left handed in the top order.

It's irrelevant!

James Vince is probably the loosest player I've seen play for England in the last 20 years and he's guess what...right handed.

Gary Ballance didn't have his international career cut short because we simply can't have left handers up there. It's because his own personal technique got exposed and he couldn't/wouldn't change it.

Twitter
    Facebook

It's irrelevant!

James Vince is probably the loosest player I've seen play for England in the last 20 years and he's guess what...right handed.

Gary Ballance didn't have his international career cut short because we simply can't have left handers up there. It's because his own personal technique got exposed and he couldn't/wouldn't change it.
    How can it be irrelevant when 80% of test bowlers bowl right arm and therefore across left handed batsmen encouraging a nick to slips which is how Lyth, Stoneman, Jennings,Burns, get out? Vince is the same and Denly, which I have acknowledged. Both drive with the bat away from the body. You dont need to do anything to help them get ou- and Being left handed and not leaving the ball across you is a disadvantage to you as a batsman.

They nick off because they aren't very good.

Well, Burns is ok. Only Smith faced more deliveries than him in the Ashes.

Also Dave Warner is left handed. Doubt he faced more than 20 balls in the summer that were angled across him.

Twitter
    Facebook

They nick off because they aren't very good.

Well, Burns is ok. Only Smith faced more deliveries than him in the Ashes.

Also Dave Warner is left handed. Doubt he faced more than 20 balls in the summer that were angled across him.
    Now that is a real exception. Stuart Broad did an absolute number on him with the new ball https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2360801320655063

Looking forward to this and to seeing the birth of England's new Test opening partnership in Burns and Sibley, and the growth of Pope.

I will repeat my concerns about Buttler behind the stumps in Tests, as I don't think he has the temperament for it. I hope he proves me wrong and scores some runs as well.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

England win the Toss and decide to bat.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

Big let off for Burns early on. Tiniest nick behind not given and not reviewed

Can't think who it is but Sibley's technique reminds me of someone else recently who used to get tied up by the quick short ball into the ribs and nicked off to slip

Reasonably decent start. Early days but we aren’t 36-3 which is refreshing.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Its ground to a halt in the last hour. Really attritional stuff

61/1 at lunch. A tough watch at times, but a solid base for England to build on

Sibley and Burns were always going to go at 2 an over, but at least they saw off the new ball to give a platform, rather than number 4 being in during the first half hour. I think that's acceptable for now, but isn't going to be in the long term

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Sibley and Burns were always going to go at 2 an over, but at least they saw off the new ball to give a platform, rather than number 4 being in during the first half hour. I think that's acceptable for now, but isn't going to be in the long term
    Why? 50 runs for the first wicket off 25 overseas is fine in test cricket. Beside the rate hardly rocketed. I thought it was a solid unspectacular performance exactly appropriate and playing to the strengths of the players picked. Its a five day game. I would far sooner be 50 for 0 at lunch than 100 for 4 and the latter has happened far too often in test cricket in recent years.

Can't think who it is but Sibley's technique reminds me of someone else recently who used to get tied up by the quick short ball into the ribs and nicked off to slip
    Kim Barnett.

Sibley and Burns are the ugliest technical openers in world cricket! Takes a leg stump guard and moves to outside off before the ball is bowled. Thank goodness its left hand right hand to mix it up.

241/4 at the close, Id call that a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Why? 50 runs for the first wicket off 25 overseas is fine in test cricket. Beside the rate hardly rocketed. I thought it was a solid unspectacular performance exactly appropriate and playing to the strengths of the players picked. Its a five day game. I would far sooner be 50 for 0 at lunch than 100 for 4 and the latter has happened far too often in test cricket in recent years.
    They will need to rotate the strike more against better attacks or they'll just get bogged down. Like a say a good effort for where we are at

They will need to rotate the strike more against better attacks or they'll just get bogged down. Like a say a good effort for where we are at
    That I do understand. DW said as much when they were paired together.

Our first innings score sin the first test match abroad in the last decade have been

260 Aus
    191 India
    167 NZ
    136 Aus
    399 WI
    598-9 Pakistan on a road in the UAE
    303 SA
    293 Bangladesh
    537 India
    302 Aus
    58 NZ
    342 SL

So 241-4 is well above par in recent history. It should end up 350 plus.

It's ok as a bit of a sticking plaster tactic while we try to totally recalibrate our approach. It's pretty grim to watch though, the way Sibley was dismissed would also be very concerning. He didn't look very good in all honesty, obviously not writing him off.

Twitter
    Facebook