Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1070

Thread: The Advice Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Bit of an odd one, does anyone have any experience of bathrooms for the infirm, my Mom has just come out of hospital after a stroke and we cant get her upstairs to her shower, she has a bathroom downstairs but cannot get in or out of a bath, we do have a jetwash but as shes nearly 80 and it being winter that's out of the question. I know there is companies out there but I'd heard they are massively expensive, any help appreciated,
    Good luck Paul.I am a carer for my mother with Parkinson's. She is now finding it difficult with getting in and out of bed, especially during the night. We have been waiting for someone to come out and assess my mom and what we need to change, and just for advice on what would be best and what is out there that we can buy to help the situation. I'm not asking for them to fork out, we will do that. It's now been 15 weeks and still no sign of anyone.

Hope you can find something that works for your mom.

PPB - must vary between areas then as Adult Social Services are fairly quick to assist down here (though the age profile for Dorset is probably well above the average UK one so they may well be geared up for it).

They should offer some help FOC & you might as well take that & then buy whatever else you need yourself. If you have no local source information point for what would help then Age Concern or the CAB will be able to help (& as said have links into that market through my volunteering & happy to act as an information aid even though I would need to make enquiries from my colleagues who know more than I do as I help the charity with different skills).
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

(paused for the moment, but hopefully to be continued)

Social services put in a whole new bathroom (wet room really) for my mum-in-law all free, they did quite a bit of stuff actually, that wad in Lower Gornal, not sure what authority that is, Dudley?
    Keep on at em
    FJRWolf

Thanks everyone, you've given me plenty to go on, really appreciate it

Paul
    x
    I have 2 friends

On matchdays, my name is darlowolf

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Cheers my dear
    I have 2 friends

The biggest headache I had with my parents was getting them to admit they needed help. I kept highlighting issues to social services which then either parent said were no bother. Dad finally got a dementure assessment and mum finally got a mobility assessment but it took three weeks in hospital with pneumonia to get it. I now have power of attorney so can intervene and I have been offered exactly the help and support you are looking for and we are working on mum and dad!
    Dad 90 mum 88 BTW.
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

Sorry to add a bit of levity to this thread...
    Anyone with young kids bemoaning the cost of Christmas? I wrapped some empty boxes up to put under the Christmas tree at my club. The kids have been after them all December, but been told to leave them alone. The decs are coming down this weekend, so as a few where still sniffing around them this afternoon, I said just let them go for it... They've all been told they are only pretend presents, but they loved ripping them apart! Couple of quid on paper and ribbon, they don't care there are no real presents!
    My name is Geoff...

Anyone have any restaurant/bar/things to do recommendations for Bruges?
    I know a few on here have been. I'm currently having a beer in St.Pancras about to board the Eurostar to Brussells, and looking for fun ways to spend this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    I know a few on here have been. I'm currently having a beer in St.Pancras about to board the Eurostar to Brussells, and looking for fun ways to spend this weekend.

Thanks in advance.
    Yeah, there are SO many good bars there. Some boozy highlights:

'T Brugs Beertje - an awesome locals pub. Great atmosphere, stupidly long beer menu

De Halve Maan Brewery - great value, do the tour, get some beer samples, admire the view from the roof and get drinking the 10%+ stuff in the bar afterwards.

De Garre - not easy to find as it's down a very small alley, but this is a quaint little place with excellent beer. Good bar snacks. Can be quiet despite it being centrally located.

Beer Wall - a gem. You can't miss this place, bang in the middle of Bruges, tons to choose from.

Cafe Red Rose - a gorgeous, small bar which is worth looking up. A very intimate atmosphere, roses on the ceiling, tester beers, a friendly atmosphere. You could easily lose several hours in here.

Restaurants:

Diligence - this was a location used in 'In Bruges' - the scene with the dwarf and the hooker doing coke. If that doesn't appeal to you on it's own, the food will. Bloody superb. Excellent mussels and steak.

As with any european city, enjoy the scenery of the main square but avoid drinking there. Go for a wander, get yourselves a bit lost and you're bound to stumble upon a few gems.

And make sure you watch In Bruges before and after your trip. Enjoy it - it's one of my favourite cities.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post

Thanks in advance.
    Just seen this DDw, an old flame runs an air BNB house in Bruges, i will message her and let you know what she recommends, should be good advice she likes a tot herself ha a ha, are you solo or with the er indoors?
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

DDW have PM'd you....
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Think Langers has pretty much given you all the best bars, the only other one I can think of is http://www.letrappistebrugge.com/ Seriously jealous, haven't been to Bruges in over 2 years. Enjoy.
    You can eat sand young man.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlosmacwolf View Post
    Just seen this DDw, an old flame runs an air BNB house in Bruges, i will message her and let you know what she recommends, should be good advice she likes a tot herself ha a ha, are you solo or with the er indoors?
    Thanks. I'm with the missus! She actually organised it, so best behaviour for me.

Anyone have a recommendation for a decent mileage tracker app for recording expensed business miles?

Looking to boost the wifi signal on the top floor of my house from the router on the ground floor.

Does anybody use a system at the moment they can recommend?
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Hullis View Post
    Looking to boost the wifi signal on the top floor of my house from the router on the ground floor.

A bungalow.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Can you run a wire up? Can then drop that into a WiFi extender. If not you could use power line adapters (I found them shit, ymmv), or a mesh extender network like the BT or ubiquiti systems.
    )

Devon, via Whitmore Reans and Castlecroft
    A better router could also be a solution. The people who we bought our (3-storey) house from had similar problems, but my BT Hub manages it easily.
    These are the days, my friend

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd

Powerline WiFi extender
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Yep. Homeplugs with a WiFi repeater/extender.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Yep, power line extenders are the way to go

As long as the upstairs is on the same power circuit. We have two separate power circuits in our house and powerline is next to useless on the other circuit.
    No.

I use a 3 eero mesh system, one on each floor, works great
    Feigning concern, a Labour pastime, makes you feel doubtful right from the start. The expression he pulls is exactly like last time, got to assume he just hasn't a brain!

we/family have found that sometimes its best to go a smaller corner shop, village shop etc rather than the big named stores.

They have been a godsend for us these past few weeks.

Don't think this is the right thread but hey ho.

Quote Originally Posted by PPB View Post
    we/family have found that sometimes its best to go a smaller corner shop, village shop etc rather than the big named stores.

They have been a godsend for us these past few weeks.

Don't think this is the right thread but hey ho.
    Agreed and said it before, the country gas has gotten ingrained and lazy using these big places.
    Personally hate how supermarkets have monopolised every high street service in the last 20 years.
    "It was dear old sweet dumpy Wolverhampton"

Quote Originally Posted by playtheace View Post
    Agreed and said it before, the country gas has gotten ingrained and lazy using these big places.
    Personally hate how supermarkets have monopolised every high street service in the last 20 years.
    Virtually every town around here is dead due to Supermarkets, Hednesford, Rugeley Cannock are all shadows of their former selves, but its not the supermarkets faults they're just working to a demand, it's the shoppers fault for being idle and wanting everything conveniently under one roof, we have two Tescos within two mile of each other ???
    I have 2 friends

Anybody use an electric shaver? Looking for one to do my head with every couple of days, I can't wet shave it that often as it cripples my skin. Was looking for a decent recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

I was about to buy myself a skull shaver gold to replace my ten year old clippers. I didn't as I cant justify dropping 110 on it in the current uncertain circumstances so can't give a personal recommendation, but my research led me to this being the best option.

Don’t really want to go that high to be honest, was thinking around 50 or so. If that’s what it takes though then I might have to. I’m going to grow my beard but need to keep my head bald to not look completely stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.