Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Advice Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Getting married is one of the best things I ever did. That and my 2 kids are the things in my life I'm most proud of, and won't ever be topped.
    Would it be any different if you were just living together and unmarried?

I'm with PPB. Marriage is pointless IMO.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post

It's very much a personal preference mate. We wanted the 'piece of paper', our own special day, all our friends and family present, and memories that will last with us forever.

Can you live without that? Yes of course you can. Would it be any different? For us, yes it would because we wouldn't feel we'd made the biggest step and our relationship wouldn't feel 'complete'.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

That's fair enough if it's all about the occasion. Quite expensive though.

Marriage has its good points , but to me it has many bad things going for it ( again like Langers its all down to personal preference and feelings towards the subject ) To me, if a couple love each other than what difference does a piece of paper make. Its just a piece of paper. Its my 20th Wedding Anniversary next month and because I didn't have a ' proper ' wedding ' all those years ago, I was asked if I wanted to re new my vows again , with a vicar, and people I know there. Do I fuck !

Maybe its different if you want kids, and have kids I don't know. But for a couple who aren't going to have kids then I would suggest living together. Marriage can sometimes be a farce, but that's just my onion.., sorry, opinion.

That's fair enough if it's all about the occasion. Quite expensive though.
    Depends on how big you want the day to be I suppose. Ours wasn't cheap but we went for a place that could host a lot of people rather than a swanky venue that cost more for less. The only thing we really spent a lot of money on (comparatively) was our honeymoon.

Basically, neither of us would have been comfortable without being married - it was a logical and for us necessary step in our lives. I fully appreciate and respect couples who don't want to do it but it was something we really wanted.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I want to get married for the reasons Langers stated - my partner thinks it's a waste of a lot of money, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittpenguinbabe View Post
    I'd also add that I wouldn't ever have got married, but would happily live in sin all my life .
    I wish I was in my 30s when I got married so I could have appreciated it more.

I think it's more important for young kids that their parents have the same surname.

We're still the only ones of our friends from around our area who are married with kids. We never would have thought that would have been the case 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    I think it's more important for young kids that their parents have the same surname.

But does it really matter in this day and age ? As long as Mum & Dad love each other , home life is happy , Mum and Dad adore the kids, what difference does it make if Mums a Smith and Dads a Jones . Its not like it was years back when it was frowned upon.

Yes, I think it does.

I don't.

They don't refer to their mum and dad by their surnames to their friends.

I don't either .

So if a couple found themselves unhappy in a relationship, but stuck together cos they found out she was pregnant, you think they should get married for the sake of all having the same name for when the child came along?

No, they shouldn't stay together

But does it really matter in this day and age ? As long as Mum & Dad love each other , home life is happy , Mum and Dad adore the kids, what difference does it make if Mums a Smith and Dads a Jones . Its not like it was years back when it was frowned upon.
    I love that you used this as an example with generic surnames but I know that couple in reality.

Mr Jones and Miss Smith have been together since they were in school, early 30s now. They have 2 sons and a daughter, eldest much be getting close to school age now I think but they have no plans to get married. Though that apparently disappoints Miss Smith, who originally had no plans of having children. I think she even proposed once and he told her no.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

I know married couples who have each kept their previous surnames.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOfTheAlps View Post
    I know married couples who have each kept their previous surnames.
    You need to put them on the 'Claim to Fame' thread.

Thought i'd resurrect this thread somewhat, here is my dilemma...

Place I work at have an opening for Quality Engineer posted...Now the guy I work with is a tech, it has been mentioned he is nowhere near engineer status yet, but the vacancy is in his group as the lead engineer is leaving...
    I was told last week that if any new engineer jobs came up in the future I would be given 1st shout on it even if that meant changing groups...(by my lead engineer)
    Now the tech I work with has come back to me saying he is a shoe in for the job, (But they have to advertise the job as per company policy..) as he is so far up the managers arse it's cringeworthy (yes really this happens on an hourly basis!)
    Do I put in my CV and apply or do I not bother cos i'm pretty sure he has worked his snake like ways to get the job even though it is plain to see he is way out of his league?!
    400 channels and nowt to watch!

Put your CV. The worst they can say is no.

You need to submit your CV in a place you already work at ? what do you put, current employer...you ?
    Anyway, put your CV in, if, as you say, he is out of his league, and does get the position, just wait for him to crash and burn, its inevitable.
    Your friends list is empty

Can anyone shed any light please. My mom is getting really distraught at not being able to hear me anymore when we are on Skype. I have suggested we just type to each other in the box provided but this is also upsetting her as she likes to see me when we are chatting. Is there any way on Skype that you are able to type and have the webcam on at the same time , or is it just one or the other ,cos i'll be buggered if I can find how to do the two at the same time ?

Can anyone shed any light please. My mom is getting really distraught at not being able to hear me anymore when we are on Skype. I have suggested we just type to each other in the box provided but this is also upsetting her as she likes to see me when we are chatting. Is there any way on Skype that you are able to type and have the webcam on at the same time , or is it just one or the other ,cos i'll be buggered if I can find how to do the two at the same time ?
    sooze i wull ask the frogette, we had the same problem and she did somethimng her end and the sound came back, i will ask her tonightxx
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Quote Originally Posted by pavlosmacwolf View Post
    sooze i wull ask the frogette, we had the same problem and she did somethimng her end and the sound came back, i will ask her tonightxx

Thanks Pav, the sound part doesn't bother me as she can't hear a thing anyway because of her hearing. I somehow need to be able to type in the chat box to her whilst seeing me on the webcam at the same time. But not sure this is possible on Skype . Hope all is well with you and your good lady

Thanks Pav, the sound part doesn't bother me as she can't hear a thing anyway because of her hearing. I somehow need to be able to type in the chat box to her whilst seeing me on the webcam at the same time. But not sure this is possible on Skype . Hope all is well with you and your good lady
    I think it is sooze, as long as you don't go full screen, if i'm having trouble i keep the video at normal size and can still type using the little horizontal line type icon at the bottom of the screen, seems to work fine for me

Quote Originally Posted by pavlosmacwolf View Post
    I think it is sooze, as long as you don't go full screen, if i'm having trouble i keep the video at normal size and can still type using the little horizontal line type icon at the bottom of the screen, seems to work fine for me
    I'll have to look out for me little horizontal line type icon tomorrow then . Many thanks Pav.

I'll have to look out for me little horizontal line type icon tomorrow then . Many thanks Pav.
    just checked only shows when you have video open, i.e. you are on a video call

Is there anyway of changing the setting on this bloody kindle so that it types what I want it to type, or do I just have to learn to type without using rude words ?

Is there anyway of changing the setting on this bloody kindle so that it types what I want it to type, or do I just have to learn to type without using rude words ?
    splat the fucker and buy a lap top ha ha ha ha

Turn off predictive text?

Turn off predictive text?
    But I can't find it