Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolves 2-2 Walsall (Wolves win 4-2 on pens): JPT Verdict thread

400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.

Wolves 2-2 Walsall (Wolves win 4-2 on pens): JPT Verdict thread

Off you go lads...
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.

thanks for the updates big man, and here we go , a run in a cup maybe?
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Was surprisingly listless about htis game but that's not to say I'm not glad we won! Wembley WOULD be nice wouldn't it?
    “Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.”

A bit lucky to get the win but a good showing by the youngsters, especially in the first half. They made mistakes but that is to be expected and it seems they are quick to learn by them.

A decent all-round performance I thought. Not the finished article but bags to look forward to.

Scraped it, gave Walsall far too much time on the ball particularly in the 2nd half. Four excellent penalties and McCarey made a top save for their 2nd.
    Hold the door...

Well Wembley 1 match closer now

Maybe doesn't apply so much to this match because of all the kids, but they should still be able to kill a game while on top. We couldnt do that today, or against Bristol City, or Crawley. At some point, someone will punish us.

But still a win, and I'd love a cup run.

Quote Originally Posted by east-coast-wolves View Post
    Maybe doesn't apply so much to this match because of all the kids, but there should still be able to kill a game while on top. We couldnt do that today, or against Bristol City, or Crawley. At some point, someone will punish us.

But still a win, and I'd love a cup run.
    what he said- I couldnt have put it better
    Carole Baskin is to blame.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    I really enjoyed that - a bit like the Crawley game, an entertaining match between 2 sides who like to play football with both teams having good spells. A draw after 90 minutes is about right overall though we really should have been further ahead at half time.

Walsall played some nice stuff but were pretty toothless in the first half - and I think our defence should take some credit for that. McDonald was a real presence in the midfield and bossed the opening stages.

But Walsall came flying out of the blocks at the start of the 2nd half and equalised on the counter with (I think) their first shot.

The rest of the game was a bit more of a slog and we were rattled at times. No idea if it was a penalty from where I was but one toerag in red wouldn't stop grappling and pushing in the first half so I hope it was him who finally got his just desserts.

Their 2nd equaliser came as they grew in confidence and we started to tire. After that, it was Wolves who were hanging on until the shoot out. And you can't argue about the quality of our spot kicks. Clinical. McCarey's 2nd save was excellent too.

Yet again, a lot of positives to take from a tricky game against a good side. McDonald looks a player, McAlinden needs to bulk up but definitely has something about him. Siggy never stopped working and really impressed me. Golbourne looks a good, solid signing.

Negatives - like Crawley we should have made our early dominance count and yet again it could have cost us. Credit to Walsall - they were well up for it and their 2nd half showing more than deserved the draw after 90 mins.

But overall a really good, entertaining game in which I've walked away with a smile on my face. Not totally deserved but fuck it - life is good because Wolves are winning.

Walsall's fans REALLY wanted this (they really don't like us which was quite amusing walking to the ground!!) but I hope we show a bit more composure when we play them in 2 weeks because they're no mugs. Hopefully we'll fare a bit better with the likes of Griffiths and co to unleash on them.

Top night out - another home draw, please!
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

James is offline The Poster Equivalent of Bolton Wanderers
    A wins a win no matter how it comes, surely it will be good for confidence...

I am confident that Jackett will address the situation of not taking our chances whilst on top.

Good first half, we were allowed to play it about and went in deservedly ahead, but I felt we were outplayed and outfought second half, Walsall played some really good football and we weren't allowed to as they closed us down so well and continually found space in our half, I thought we were hanging on a bit. Walsalls players seemed to want it more, whilst we were a little too laid back in our approach, and I don't like Siggy on the wing nor his swapping sides with Sako who looks shit on the right.

Really enjoyable evening, although it is important to recognise the second half was weaker and we were hanging on a bit in the last ten minutes. First half McDonald was tremendous but he faded a bit. Like the look of the golbourne sako partnership too. More positives than negatives and the second penalty save was outstanding.

Walsall fans. Bless their little cotton socks.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Oh god yes - the Walsall fans. All very embarrassing TBH. A nice dress rehearsal for WMP in 2 weeks time. They really don't like us very much.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

We played pretty well first half with Davis being the main man, pretty much everything went through him and he never played a bad pass. Second half we were poor and let them have far too much of the ball. As for the North Bank, 15 minutes gone when we got in, what a fucking joke.

The lot by the station who asked me and Matt if there were any police down by the blue brick were comedy. Seeing their little crew run in front of us and try and hide by carvers as they were followed by wmp was hilarious.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Started brightly but soon faded.

In the opening exchanges Wolves looked very bright, plenty of movement and some tidy interchanges, aside from the very first passage of play that resulted in a long punt forward from Golbourne, that was reminiscent of the old kick off routine we had under Mick. Unfortunately they weren't able to sustain playing with such verve and it soon ended up looking similar to what we saw in the early days of the Solbakken reign, plenty of possession and controlling the ball but struggling for ideas and unable to really push that possession into areas that would hurt the opponents. The move for the first goal was good, good movement, slick passing and a good cross to put McAlinden in, shame there weren't more moves like that as the game went on, there was one very similar in the 2nd half where McDonald slipped Doherty in behind but his cross was a little behind McAlinden allowing the defender to get it away and gave Doherty a chance to fire it back in immediately but McAlinden couldn't react quickly enough to the 2nd cross and it passed through the box without trouble.

Similarly to the Crawley game i thought Walsall looked more of a team than Wolves, their players seemed to have a good idea of what was expected of them, knew where to find their team mates, made good runs and linked up well, they're found wanting for quality at times though, especially in forward areas. Hemmings did little for them other than his goal, very poor first half from him, the lad from Chelsea looked a bit indecisive, sort of like Keogh when the negativity descended on him, Sawyers looked a good player though i though, strong and very comfortable on the ball.

Thought Price looked a tidy player, much more encouraging than the few times i saw him play for the U21s last year, always moving, trying to get involved, didn't see all that much of the ball but looks to be someone who goes about the game in the right way, be interesting to see how he develops.

McAlinden too looks like a better player than the couple of times i saw him for the U21s last season, similar to when i saw him in pre season, good movement, comfortable on the ball but certainly looks a bit lightweight still, at times he was let down by his team mates as he'd make the run that enabled them to move the ball forward from midfield but then no-one would make a run for the subsequent pass to help him out.

Still seems to be far too much of this sort of thing happening, they'll give the ball to someone and then just leave them to it, expecting them to create something by themselves rather than working together to form a opening, the understanding just doesn't seem to be there with some. Price and McDonald were usually better at this though, rolling it into each other and immediately offering the return pass, might not get you anywhere 9 times out of 10 but at least keeps the ball moving and pulls opponents around.

McDonald looks a steady player too, not going to win games on his own but he's comfortable on the ball and although not the quickest he seems to have a canny knack of holding players off when he's carrying the ball, good eye for a pass too.

Golbourne too looks a steady acquisition, decent in the tackle, comfortable with the ball and gets up and down the pitch well, decent business by the looks of it.

McCarey was steady, Elokobi still isn't good enough, Sako still doesn't look like he isn't going to fit into a team game anytime soon.

Draw was probably a fair result, decent enough game to watch.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Queues in and getting out of the north bank were piss poor tonight. I can mention it at the parliament, although I assume the club must be aware unless they are blind.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

In the opening exchanges Wolves looked very bright, plenty of movement and some tidy interchanges, aside from the very first passage of play that resulted in a long punt forward from Golbourne, that was reminiscent of the old kick off routine we had under Mick. Unfortunately they weren't able to sustain playing with such verve and it soon ended up looking similar to what we saw in the early days of the Solbakken reign, plenty of possession and controlling the ball but struggling for ideas and unable to really push that possession into areas that would hurt the opponents. The move for the first goal was good, good movement, slick passing and a good cross to put McAlinden in, shame there weren't more moves like that as the game went on, there was one very similar in the 2nd half where McDonald slipped Doherty in behind but his cross was a little behind McAlinden allowing the defender to get it away and gave Doherty a chance to fire it back in immediately but McAlinden couldn't react quickly enough to the 2nd cross and it passed through the box without trouble.

Similarly to the Crawley game i thought Walsall looked more of a team than Wolves, their players seemed to have a good idea of what was expected of them, knew where to find their team mates, made good runs and linked up well, they're found wanting for quality at times though, especially in forward areas. Hemmings did little for them other than his goal, very poor first half from him, the lad from Chelsea looked a bit indecisive, sort of like Keogh when the negativity descended on him, Sawyers looked a good player though i though, strong and very comfortable on the ball.

Thought Price looked a tidy player, much more encouraging than the few times i saw him play for the U21s last year, always moving, trying to get involved, didn't see all that much of the ball but looks to be someone who goes about the game in the right way, be interesting to see how he develops.

McAlinden too looks like a better player than the couple of times i saw him for the U21s last season, similar to when i saw him in pre season, good movement, comfortable on the ball but certainly looks a bit lightweight still, at times he was let down by his team mates as he'd make the run that enabled them to move the ball forward from midfield but then no-one would make a run for the subsequent pass to help him out.

Still seems to be far too much of this sort of thing happening, they'll give the ball to someone and then just leave them to it, expecting them to create something by themselves rather than working together to form a opening, the understanding just doesn't seem to be there with some. Price and McDonald were usually better at this though, rolling it into each other and immediately offering the return pass, might not get you anywhere 9 times out of 10 but at least keeps the ball moving and pulls opponents around.

McDonald looks a steady player too, not going to win games on his own but he's comfortable on the ball and although not the quickest he seems to have a canny knack of holding players off when he's carrying the ball, good eye for a pass too.

Golbourne too looks a steady acquisition, decent in the tackle, comfortable with the ball and gets up and down the pitch well, decent business by the looks of it.

McCarey was steady, Elokobi still isn't good enough, Sako still doesn't look like he isn't going to fit into a team game anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Queues in and getting out of the north bank were piss poor tonight. I can mention it at the parliament, although I assume the club must be aware unless they are blind.
    Yeah that was crap. Took ages to get out. And the queues to get in were mad - surprised they didn't delay kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post

Agree with a hell of a lot of this...after our first goal there was far too much fannying around with the ball,its as if we are trying to take the piss..they need to get the ball in the box quicker.
    Sako was very frustrating tonight...his end product was awful.
    A passing game that involves big george recieving it isnt going to work.
    Aaron's penalty save was the best part of the match,for all walsalls passing,he didnt really have a lot to do tonight.
    Sat in s1 tonight....hell of a lot of dickheads out tonight sadly

Phew and Phew again. Not sure what juice ower lads were on that second half but it got them pissed quickly. The game as a whole for us was that great, we were just about on top in the first half and once again score an early goal and take the foot off the peddle. Ower midfield did ok in McDonald and Davies and moved Walsall around but like both sides we got it to the last third and it broke down. McAlinden had a very hard game with that Butler defender kicking him, poking him, muscling him out. It will do him the world of good though getting a rough time against an old skool defender. I didn't like ower laxs defending in the first half another team would have punished those two loose balls.

2nd half and we should have taken a 2-0 lead but the ball rolled in from Sako was shit as was most of his play tonight. Walsall from then grew into the game and rightfully equalised but it was from there first decent ball into the box. 5 minutes later they should have buried another header but flashed it well wide. Walsall were starting to dictate with 20 minutes and unluckily went behind to a penalty, don't ask me whether it was or not because I was at the other end. It didn't stop Walsall though and for me they knew Sako was being a lazy bastard and got down his side time and time again. Jack Price on the other flank was exposed badly as well and ower midfield started to crumble. McDonald from having so much time on the ball in the first half started to do two players jobs and we were overwhelmed. Walsall deserved the equaliser but Doherty head it anywhere but where you did......

Thank fook JPT doesn't have extra time or we could have lost it. Thankfully Walsall were shit from 12 yards.

I'll give credit were credit is due and no real mocking. Walsall really played well and if they could get a goalscorer in the loan window then they will be ok.

Enjoyed the game, atmosphere was great in the southbank even when we conceded which was good to hear and as we won i can now go to work with a little smile on my face.

I agree with those who have said it was a bit like the Crawley game in that the early stages were far too easy for us, we looked a different class but then got lazy and sloppy and a decent footballing side troubled us especially in the second half. McDonald was pure class for the first 20 and our first goal was fantastic, patient passing then a change of tempo and a killer pass. McCarey was impressive in the shootout, he made 2 cracking saves particularly the second one and really put some effort into the mind games. Our 4 penalties were all well taken too.

We play Walsall again in 2 weeks time and they will play exactly the same way as that's the philosophy of how to play throughout the club so now Jackett should know how to set us up and we will definitely benefit from having players back.

Is there anything on Elokobi's hamstring? Cuz it almost looked like he faked it, straight after he fucked up for their goal

EDIT: just after, not immediatley
    Time that you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

First half we looked a class above Walsall, albeit the game being played at a pre season friendly pace. The opening goal was a lovely passing move, tucked away by the enthusiastic McAlinden We became increasingly complacent as the half wore on. It was no surprise to see an equaliser, with Elokobi asleep as the cross came in - Batth was dragged into RB due to Doherty going walk about. To be fair to Doherty, he was afforded little protection from midfield.

Walsall grew in confidence, although we did our best to help them along with sloppy passing and concentration. Sako was lucky with the penalty dropping for him, but it was a shit header from Doherty back into his own box leading to a the equaliser. It was an excellent finish on the volley from the Walsall lad.

Excellent penalties and 2 cracking saves in the shootout from McCarey saw us through.

Very busy prior to kick off, with massive queues, and the print at home tickets not working meant we missed kick off.

McCarey - Not ready to challenge Ikeme, but good in the shootout. Little chance with the goals, but patchy kicking 6

Golbourne - Defensively sound, and comfortable on the ball. Was reluctant to take his man on though. Hopefully we'll see this as he settles in 7

Elokobi - Nice bloke, terrible footballer. We all know this. Nowhere near his man for the first goal, and shaky on the ball, preferring a big boot forward to a pass. Went off injured. 5

Batth - No nonsense defending as usual, kicked and headed(including a Walsall players foot) but not too comfortable on the ball. 6

Doherty - Offered little going forward, and pretty poor defensively. Little help from his winger though. He'll have better games. 4

Sako - Frustratingly inconsistent. A comedy stepover/ step on the ball, crosses out of play and general laziness, coupled with good corner delivery and several crisp strikes on goal. Lucky with the penalty. 5

Mcdonald - Started the game very well and looked a class above, but faded badly as the game went on 6

Davis - Excellent first half, lazy second half. He needs to concentrate on his game and consistency. There is an air of complacency with him, and he has no challenger for his place 6

Price - Buzzed about, but didn't offer too much, barring dithering on the ball at times. Not really ready for a starting place yet 5

Sigurdarson - Worked hard, and looks classy at times, but offered little goal threat. Was hoping to see him through the middle tonight. 5

McAlinden - Very lively, and had precious little help from the ref, who turned a blind eye to him being manhandled. Good movement and work rate, and a deserved goal. Tough task for him up front on his own, but he did fairly well. Very raw, a loan would do him good. 6

Subs -

Stearman - An improvement on Elokobi. 6

Forde - Barely featured, until one brilliant run late on took him from the halfway line into their box, unfortunately unable to get a shot away. If he shows more of that he should feature more this season. 6

Decent crowd and atmosphere, and our penalties were all very good. We probably shaded the game, but far less comfortable than it should have been. Still, onward!
    XBL GT - Oh Gi 8

Delete please. My internet is being horrific tonight....
    XBL GT - Oh Gi 8

Quote Originally Posted by playtheace View Post
    Agree with a hell of a lot of this...after our first goal there was far too much fannying around with the ball,its as if we are trying to take the piss..they need to get the ball in the box quicker.
    Sako was very frustrating tonight...his end product was awful.
    A passing game that involves big george recieving it isnt going to work.
    Aaron's penalty save was the best part of the match,for all walsalls passing,he didnt really have a lot to do tonight.
    Sat in s1 tonight....hell of a lot of dickheads out tonight sadly
    I certainly wouldn't call it fannying around, it's the sensible thing to do!

If there's no forward pass on then you may as well keep the ball, whether you're in a position to threaten the opposition or not, it's then down to your forward players to move into positions where you can get them on the ball rather than expecting the midfield to find some magical pass or just force the issue and lump it upfield hoping for the best.

It's not a new problem to Wolves though, been that way for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Walsall's fans REALLY wanted this (they really don't like us which was quite amusing walking to the ground!!) but I hope we show a bit more composure when we play them in 2 weeks because they're no mugs. Hopefully we'll fare a bit better with the likes of Griffiths and co to unleash on them.
    Didn't they jeer when the attendance was announced at 13,000? I read somewhere that they brought along 1,100-ish fans so there were more Wolves fans alone than what their entire stadium holds - funny, really.

The fans were funny - bless them.

With their songs about Steve Bull and "Walsall we are, we are Walsall".

Shame really as the football they played were very impressive - saw them being escorted back to the bus station and they were kicking off with the Police. Bunch of idiots.
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

what sort of side did Walsall play? No idea what their first team is so couldn't say if this was strong or not?