Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Techy Stuff Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Thank you, on Edge Youtube is fine, does that mean then there's a conflict between Youtube and Chrome
    Enter chrome://flags in the address bar.

Press Ctrl+F to open Chrome's search box, and then type hardware-accelerated to find the hardware-accelerated video decode setting.
    Click Enable to toggle it off.
    Click RELAUNCH NOW to restart Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by arklowolf View Post
    I have an ecommerce website which was built approx 2 years ago. It is ASP apparently.
    The company who built it were charging me £250.00 p.a. for hosting. The hosting cost was due for renewal tomorrow. Last Friday I got an invoice from a company I have never heard of for £1180.00 p.a. for hosting, and a demand that it was due within seven days.
    Apparently the original company have gone into voluntary liquidation and the directors (and staff I understand) are now working for the new company. I spoke with a manager there and she basically said if you don't pay what we are asking we'll switch the website off.
    Because of the way I have been treated and the exorbitant rise in the cost of hosting (approx. 380%) I am disinclined to pay them a fucking penny tbh.
    Consequently I contacted a hosting company here in Ireland (a big outfit) about taking over the hosting of my site. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between the hosting company and the potential hosting company, I managed to get a list of what is required of their servers for them to take the hosting on. The new hosting company have now come back to say they will not be able to assist as it will require a developer to set their system up bespoke basically to ensure the site functions correctly. I'm at a loss as to what is the best course of action for me:
    1). Pay them what they say and expect a bigger bill again next year.
    2). Don't pay them and have my site shut down.
    3). In which case I will need a new site building incurring more cost. (Wordpress this time?).
    4). Try to find a developer who can do 'stuff' to get the existing site to work with a new host.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Fuck them off and go with 123-Reg, that's who I had my E-commerce site with and they're excellent. Here's one I built for a mate's business, he's edited it loads since I built it so it's not how I designed it but you'll get the idea.

http://www.thebasicroamer.co.uk/
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Devon, via Whitmore Reans and Castlecroft
    Because my house has thick walls, part of it is a dead zone for wi-fi. The dead zone does, however, have a phone socket. Can I just bung another router on there, or isn't it that simple?
    These are the days, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark View Post
    Because my house has thick walls, part of it is a dead zone for wi-fi. The dead zone does, however, have a phone socket. Can I just bung another router on there, or isn't it that simple?
    Does the dead zone have a 230V socket?
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Yeah if you have a spare router you can set that up as another WiFi access point on the same network, or just buy a cheaper WiFi extender and plug that into the phone line.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    Does the dead zone have a 230V socket?
    Yes, it's a proper living area.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Yeah if you have a spare router you can set that up as another WiFi access point on the same network, or just buy a cheaper WiFi extender and plug that into the phone line.
    Yes, I've a couple of routers knocking around. I might need to Google a walkthrough to set up the network, but that's good to know. Cheers.

I did it with one of my old Netgear routers downstairs years ago. Can't remember what settings you change though.

You can't use the phone line itself to extend. You need either a WiFi repeater (most routers don't do that) or an Ethernet cable connection between the two routers.

If you have the latter you just need to make the WiFi network has the same name on the new second router and turn off DNS on it. Ideally you would make sure your WiFi channels don't overlap too.
    )

Cheers. It's a big place. I think I need something called a mesh network.

Any chance of running a cable? Mesh networks can be flaky and expensive if it's a bit place with thick walls.
    )

It depends on the quality of the stream; a Flash stream will be around 500-800Mb. Acestream will be more.
    Ha ha being a toal dummy how do i tell the difference?
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

You can get a Powerline WiFi extender for £40 off Amazon.

Plug the main one in by the router, and the secondary unit into the plug socket in the dead zone room. You get a WiFi signal broadcast from the second unit plus an ethernet port as well for any permanent devices in there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220K...=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Yes, it's a proper living area.
    As long as the room 230V socket is on the same ring main as your router ethernetconnection you can use a power internet adaptor which uses the copper in your electricity cable to send a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    You can get a Powerline WiFi extender for £40 off Amazon.

Plug the main one in by the router, and the secondary unit into the plug socket in the dead zone room. You get a WiFi signal broadcast from the second unit plus an ethernet port as well for any permanent devices in there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220K...=fsclp_pl_dp_1
    Thanks, but the dead zone has a separate power supply (it's a granny flat), so I don't think that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Any chance of running a cable? Mesh networks can be flaky and expensive if it's a bit place with thick walls.
    That's the last resort I was trying to avoid, really.

Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    As long as the room 230V socket is on the same ring main as your router ethernetconnection you can use a power internet adaptor which uses the copper in your electricity cable to send a signal.
    Sadly, it's not.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlosmacwolf View Post
    Acestream is a program to watch streams on, you'd know if you had downloaded it. So I guess you would be on a random website, so Flash?
    Time that you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

If you're watching it in your browser, it's Flash. Acestream requires a separate player.

If you're watching it in your browser, it's Flash. Acestream requires a separate player.
    Thanks guys, i'm on the browser so i'm Flash.
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Flash.
    A-ah!

Leeds

You're just impossible.
    Carole Baskin is to blame.

Techy stuff or help me...It's all the same I guess.

Over the last week I've noticed that my open pages are "flashing" quite regularly, showing the laptop picture and it is very noticeable, almost like you are taking a screen-grab.

I have run anti-virus scans and Malware and it's all showing clean as well as checking everything is upto date.

Any advice?
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

what is flashing? Just specific windows or are you saying the entire screen? are you saying there's a quality degradation? apologies I don't quite understand what you mean.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters, half-half scarves
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

He means the entire screen is flashing like taking a screenshot on a phone. Sounds odd.

Graphics card on the blink (no pun intended)?

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    Techy stuff or help me...It's all the same I guess.

Over the last week I've noticed that my open pages are "flashing" quite regularly, showing the laptop picture and it is very noticeable, almost like you are taking a screen-grab.

I have run anti-virus scans and Malware and it's all showing clean as well as checking everything is upto date.

Any advice?
    Can you plug it into an external monitor, or your TV via HDMI and see if it's doing the same thing on there?
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Yep, sounds like a bad connection to me. Depending on the laptop that can be a really simple fix or literally impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joćo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

if you do indeed mean the entire screen, then a bad connection is certainly possible. generally not going to be fun to troubleshoot on a laptop, but some ribbons are easily accessible and might be checked without much effort.

as mentioned plugging into another output to see if it does the same thing is a good option. one thing you can do that's 1) free, 2) no hassle, 3) good to do anyway, just update your graphics drivers. worst case it doesn't work and you have new drivers.
    <3 - guns, jesus, walmart, trucks, truck nuts, trump, brexit, rosters, half-half scarves
    </3 - tea, kebabs, monarchies, EU, the deep state, nandos

Quote Originally Posted by t3ch View Post
    what is flashing? Just specific windows or are you saying the entire screen? are you saying there's a quality degradation? apologies I don't quite understand what you mean.
    So I've got one of the wonderful fixture list pictures on my laptop, thats all fine.

When I'm on Google Chrome with the forum open (just as an example) every few minutes, sometimes more often, the screen flashes so that I can see the wonderful fixture list picture then back to what I'm looking at
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?