Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Techy Stuff Help!

I'm thinking about storing photos in the cloud, say Google Photos. The one's Visage is on about, though, will be distributed on encrypted USB.

Useful point about the tabs, as my wife does not understand that clicking on a link opens a new one, therefore her phone often has well in excess of 20 tabs at any one time.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat del combate View Post
    I'm thinking about storing photos in the cloud, say Google Photos. The one's Visage is on about, though, will be distributed on encrypted USB.

Useful point about the tabs, as my wife does not understand that clicking on a link opens a new one, therefore her phone often has well in excess of 20 tabs at any one time.
    If your using cloud storage then a Chromebooks will be fine. The only thing our Chromebooks can't really do for us is browse our NAS where we store all our photos.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    And.....
    How do I enquire about one of those encrypted flash drives?
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Hijacking the topic of storage. Does anyone have a personal storage device like a My Cloud that plugs directly into your router? Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by SSB View Post
    Hijacking the topic of storage. Does anyone have a personal storage device like a My Cloud that plugs directly into your router? Any recommendations?
    I used to have one for a couple of years, but then I became frustrated with its limited features and shucked the hard drive out of it and built my own home NAS. But for a lot of people - the majority, I'm sure - it's probably got everything people could want from self-hosted cloud storage.

What are you planning to use it for? I can tell you how it handles different things.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    And.....
    How do I enquire about one of those encrypted flash drives?
    You can encrypt any digital information - if you want to encrypt a whole drive, SD card, USB stick, whatever, then Windows has a built-in feature called Bitlocker that can do set that up for you. But you can also encrypt files and folders.

I have a local NAS in my spare room which runs a backup to cloud drive every night of any changes from that day, and everything on the cloud is encrypted by the syncing program I use on Linux, for example.

Similar to Proslo I built my own NAS (with Unraid), but if you just want to host photos and docs its easier to just sent them up to OneDrive or other cloud system.
    )

Basically want to store photos and music and have access to them without having to plug in one of my portable usb hard drives each time. I don't think I have the technical know-how to build and setup a NAS (pretty much want the easy lazy option!)

Google Drive is 17GB or something now? Should do the job for at least most of your stuff.

Anyway, storing music Grandad?
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SSB View Post
    Basically want to store photos and music and have access to them without having to plug in one of my portable usb hard drives each time. I don't think I have the technical know-how to build and setup a NAS (pretty much want the easy lazy option!)
    Google Photos, Drive and YouTube Music are your friends. My entire music collection is in the cloud accessible through YouTube Music (used to be Google Play Music, but they're binning it).

Piece of piss.

I get 1Tb with OneDrive.

For music - use Google music scan and match, itís ace.
    )

Yeah it sounds like something purely in the cloud is your best bet. Something like a My Cloud is if you'd prefer to have the data stored at home (or wherever you put the physical device) - means that you don't have to worry about Google or Amazon or whoever knowing what you've got (you dirty, dirty boy), but the actual hardware isn't much more complex than a normal hard drive with a low-power computer attached. It can't really do much except be a hard drive you can access remotely, plus the speed is limited by your own home internet speed up and down. Lots of ISPs don't offer much in the way of upload speed, so you could find yourself frustrated.

Cheers for the ideas. Will give me something to look into.

Oh, I should add - the reason I got a My Cloud in the first place is because I have a decently large blu-ray and DVD collection, and it was bugging me that it was so easy to stream Netflix or Amazon or whatever on any computer or TV in the house, but I could only watch physical media on the one TV in the living room with a disk player. So I ripped all those disks on my PC and stuck them on the My Cloud, and it meant that every device in the house could "watch a DVD" by streaming the rip off that just as easily as watching something on Netflix.

Might not be something you're interested in, but I know a few people who have wanted to get rid of all their physical media like DVDs and CDs in recent years to reduce clutter. YouTube Music is genuinely fantastic for making it easy when it comes to CDs - you just stick one you have in (or show it some music files you have on your computer, bought on iTunes for example) and it goes "Ah, you own that? Sweet, you can stream that now everywhere you go." There isn't anything like that for movies, though, and it pisses me off that the expectation is that you need to rebuy stuff off iTunes or Amazon Prime that you already paid for once - but now I can buy something once and watch it on every device, anywhere in the world.