Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Football Coaching Thread

The Football Coaching Thread

Started this as it is what I am doing next season. At 32 I can no longer play how I want to and my knee is never going to settle down - plus I reckon I will be a much better coach than player.

I know there are a couple of lads who do this on here, plus some others who are interested, so let's see how we go. I am really looking for a bit of an insight in firstly how to find a team (!) and then some experiences that we can all share and build on.

For the last few months I have been building up my own tactical handbook of training drills, tactics, set pieces etc - if only because I heard Mourinho has the same thing and well, you model yourself on the best, don't you.

All contributions welcome.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Monstrum is offline Seeks friendly banter and someone who can move Country without thinking about it
    assuming you're going to be starting at a very low level- don't try to enforce a passing play style to the players, but rather play on their strenghts. in most cases it will be "hoofball", since the pitch/players you have will be awful. find a good goalkeeper from somewhere, because at low level with huge amounts of shots (due to defensive errors) a goalie is going to be worth more than the rest of the team put together. don't cut shit players right away because they will have friends on the team and their friends will quit and/or rage if you do.

obviously this would help if you give us a clue at what level you plan to coach

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Just stand on the sidelines shouting " GERRIT FORWARD" for the duration of the game.

Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Just stand on the sidelines shouting " GERRIT FORWARD" for the duration of the game.

Job done.
    I have a shit haircut, I can buy a shiny suit, I can do that, I can talk a load of shit afterwards - I can be Dean Saunders!

I don't mind what level I jump into - I just need a start.

Twitter
    Facebook

I presume you read the Kevin Thelwell download that was printed the other day. That is a good start and many of the FA drills are contained in them. Do you want to coach kids or adults and what level would you like to do it at?
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

If you have your Coaching Qualifications and CRB check and associated courses all under your belt then I would imagine that any decent junior club would welcome you to help out.

From my own experience of watching junior football I would suggest starting with as poor a team as possible as the expectations of the parents will be lower and you can have a free rein of coaching your players in the correct way. Problems will arise when you start turning them into the next Messi/Ronaldo as the better teams will come along and rape and pillage your better players. I know of a coach in my sons league who takes to social media and complains about the lack of competition in the league that his team are in. What he doesn't mention is that they were already the best team last season and he then went out on a recruitment drive to get the pick of the best players from other clubs.

I despise at times watching some junior football teams as the coaches are doing their nut on the sidelines bellowing at the players because the results are the most important thing in the world rather than the development of the players.

Ultimately I want to build a side that plays football as I see fit but I understand this will take time.

Obviously start with kids, then progress. I think once people see what I can do, the rest will follow. I want to work with players and make them the best they can, because all my coaches were shit and I had to teach myself. I have a good grip of tactics I reckon and a good knowledge of football, and a bit of belief in myself which helps.

I can do this.

Twitter
    Facebook

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post

Job done.
    And the occasional bark of "TURRRRRRN!!" every so often.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Ultimately I want to build a side that plays football as I see fit but I understand this will take time.

Obviously start with kids, then progress. I think once people see what I can do, the rest will follow. I want to work with players and make them the best they can, because all my coaches were shit and I had to teach myself. I have a good grip of tactics I reckon and a good knowledge of football, and a bit of belief in myself which helps.

I can do this.
    Absolutely mate - it's something you'll be good at, it's something you'll enjoy and it's something others will get something out of.

Go for it.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    And the occasional bark of "TURRRRRRN!!" every so often.
    How about a quick "SWITCH IT" occasionally?

Seriously though mate, thanks for the vote of confidence (not in the traditional football sense!) - means a lot.

Twitter
    Facebook

How about a quick "SWITCH IT" occasionally?

Seriously though mate, thanks for the vote of confidence (not in the traditional football sense!) - means a lot.
    I'll rescind it if I turn up to one of your games and it's shit.

But I've got faith in you.

One question: suit or tracksuit?

These pitches in the early days will be dirtbags so I don't want to wreck my suits, even though that's my preferred attire.

I'm going to go jumper, shirt, tie, smart jeans, smart trainers.

Twitter
    Facebook

With "DW" embroidered on the left chest pocket?

Well i coach the kids here, 9 to 12 year olds, they do drills and short games, playing with their wrong foot only, if the play the ball with their good, natural foot, free kick to the opposition, they hated it at first now they are all two footed and bragging about it.

I drill th3m on ball control, trapping and passing a lot, and to be honest if they piss me about they get short shrift.

Kids have to know you aren't there for fun, and it's a serious time for them as well as you.

Man management is paramount. Which kids need a chasing and a kick up the arse, which need an arm around the shoulder, which need one to one coaching, and which need praise, even when they are shite.

I never let my good kids take the piss out of the weaker kids, and if they do, i train them on something in front of the others, versus me, and they don't like looking twats and soon get the message

If they see you can do what you're telling them to do, it's a whole lit easier.

Above all watch them, together and individually, if they are having fun, even in the hard parts of training, you've got it right, if they aren't, be a plumber.
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Quote Originally Posted by Jolemai View Post
    With "DW" embroidered on the left chest pocket?
    Bit ostentatious I think.

I know how I want my teams to play and now I want to put it into practice. I can be a good motivator and a good friend. I can set a team up for any circumstance. I am passionate, I am loyal. I think I have all the qualities required.

Twitter
    Facebook

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    You are Dean Saunders.

Give up now

These pitches in the early days will be dirtbags so I don't want to wreck my suits, even though that's my preferred attire.

I'm going to go jumper, shirt, tie, smart jeans, smart trainers.
    Paolo Di Canio style?
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

Bit ostentatious I think.

I know how I want my teams to play and now I want to put it into practice. I can be a good motivator and a good friend. I can set a team up for any circumstance. I am passionate, I am loyal. I think I have all the qualities required.
    Add in a teacher and you're pretty much on the Saunders wavelength.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Nice one Dan. I can imagine you'll be a good coach, half of it is doing it for the right reasons in my opinion.

I've been coaching a team for a few years, but last season was when I felt like I was doing it properly. I've learnt a lot, working with some really good coaches along the way. The club I help with for the under 8s want to give me a team to do, at a younger age which is a good step up for me. I've got my under 12s which I do on the Sunday, most are good technical players, so we play to those strengths.

Try to get together as many drills as you possibly can. It's good to have variation and not be doing the same thing every week, kids get bored very quickly. I can probably send you some stuff actually too mate.

If you've got decent qualifications and you are enthusiastic there should be plenty of clubs who will want you to take on a team!

Fair play to you for doing this DW, the game massively needs people who want and can make a difference in the right way and understand how it can be done. The first thing i'd do is exactly what you're doing in trying to get as many different sessions together so you have wide range of things you could coach depending on age, number and ability. If you can i'd also go and watch other coaches even at a really low level as you can pick up little things that you may like or may think i definitely don't want to be doing it like that.

I'll share anything I do with you guys, if we have a little network of people passing on stuff it can only be good.

Twitter
    Facebook

English youngster's get taught to win the game. Spanish get taught to play the game. Jose Mourinho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fei8C...ature=youtu.be
    In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Don't try to bend players to a preconceived idea of what you want, you may want to play 442 but have no wingers and 3 good players wanting to play CB, I manage an adult team at the giddy heights of tier 16 (2nd bottom!) and have a youth side and the youth side is a lot more enjoyable.

NorwayFB is offline The elderly, irritating relative at weddings
    Obviously start with kids, then progress. I think once people see what I can do, the rest will follow. I want to work with players and make them the best they can, because all my coaches were $#@! and I had to teach myself. I have a good grip of tactics I reckon and a good knowledge of football, and a bit of belief in myself which helps.

I can do this.
    Nice thread,then Saunders clearly hacked your account.

Certificate came today to say i'm level 2 qualified, it's nice to actually see it in writing.

Well done Slink.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    http://coachingfamily.com/2013/03/10...actices-ebook/

Some decent sessions that I quite like in there. The coaching family site isn't too bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Certificate came today to say i'm level 2 qualified, it's nice to actually see it in writing.
    Nice work Slink, since I got mine last year two lads on my team have failed their first assessment, out of the 40 that started on mine only about 24 took the final assessment and when I left I was only about the 4th that had passed out of about 15 that had been in, pass rate is about 40% passed on what I was told by the lad that was my tutor so they don't just hand them out like the Level 1.

Today I have been offered the chance to be on the coaching team for the South Yorks u16 Girls side which I have accepted so just hoping it happens, very limited training time however will be good to get some experience at a level above what I am at. I tried to get a youth side to work with an "established club" so I can do my level 3 (uefaB) however haven't managed to yet as I can't get one to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by big mean bunny View Post
    Nice work Slink, since I got mine last year two lads on my team have failed their first assessment, out of the 40 that started on mine only about 24 took the final assessment and when I left I was only about the 4th that had passed out of about 15 that had been in, pass rate is about 40% passed on what I was told by the lad that was my tutor so they don't just hand them out like the Level 1.

Today I have been offered the chance to be on the coaching team for the South Yorks u16 Girls side which I have accepted so just hoping it happens, very limited training time however will be good to get some experience at a level above what I am at. I tried to get a youth side to work with an "established club" so I can do my level 3 (uefaB) however haven't managed to yet as I can't get one to work with.
    Mine was quite a big course due to a few cancellations and we ended up with 59 i think and last week when i was passed only 20 others had and they were the ones i expected to like Paul Merson's son and an ex pro from Italy who's now working at the Villa. I think it's right that it's tough because too many kids are being "coached" by people who have no idea.

I don't blame you for accepting that offer, it's going to be a good experience. I think that's the only problem with the level 3 is that you need a team and you need one who are going to be help you, i'd love to do it in a couple of years and if i get a few breaks where i am at the moment then it could happen but i'm just seeing how things are going at the moment.

I can never remember his name but that was a lad on my course that had played for Carlisle and he was in right before me and failed as he had running with the ball but had made his end game pitch too small so there wasn't enough room to run with the ball.

I am booked on the FA youth module and Level 2 GK course for the summer, I contacted a few of the non league sides though about going and helping out with there u19s and u21s sides and didn't get any joy.