Page 164 of 170 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,920 of 5071

Thread: The " Honey I'm home and I'm bloody starving , what's for dinner " Thread.

You don't fill entire recipes with that though.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    It's a good outlet this, good food, shite food, it's all we have right now. Don't shy away from sharing.

Also if you can't cook...trust me, you can. I'm a useless shite at most things but it's the easiest thing to learn. All you have to do is follow instructions. Then as you get better, you can do your own stuff.
    Yeah I cook a bit man, no where near like how some on here do but we share the cooking pretty 50/50. Id like to put a bit more effort in and learn a little more though as its definitely satisfying.

It's a good outlet this, good food, shite food, it's all we have right now. Don't shy away from sharing.

Also if you can't cook...trust me, you can. I'm a useless shite at most things but it's the easiest thing to learn. All you have to do is follow instructions. Then as you get better, you can do your own stuff.
    THIS. ALL OF THIS. I spent all of my teenage years and most of my early twenties thinking I just couldn't cook and couldn't be arsed to improve that. Then I found a couple of dishes I could do well and I was off and running. Now I just love cooking and finding new stuff to try. When we are all going to be cooped up there may even be a bit of mental release in getting in front of the oven.

Let's all chuck some fucking recipe ideas on here and see if other posters can have a go at them.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Steak cooked french rare - so walked through a warm room and a properly made Bearnaise is awesome. Have it with some frites and a nice salad with vinaigrette or french dressing on the side. Ace.
    Now you see that doesn't appeal to me and I've made that mistake in France, I need to know that James Herriot cannot bring it back to life !
    My brother in Law always ordered Carpacio at every opportunity, raw beef no thanks, medium rare thank you.
    I have 2 friends

Your best bet right now (and what I'm planning to do early next week) is get down your local butchers and source some real cheap cuts. Then manufacture what you can from that. You'll be amazed how easy it is and how cheaply you can eat really well.

Shame pulled pork became a thing (it's shit, really) and spiked up the price of cheap belly cuts but there's plenty of other stuff you can grab. Bang for your buck on brisket is fantastic, so many things you can do with it.

I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, there are plenty on here way better than me.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Chicken thighs are cheap but also great. Stick them in a casserole or chasseur and it just falls off the bone.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    Chicken thighs are cheap but also great. Stick them in a casserole or chasseur and it just falls off the bone.
    Aye. I'd say if you cook it properly then it's better meat than breast. Probably half the cost too.

Twitter
    Facebook

I'm just an enthusiastic amateur, there are plenty on here way better than me.
    My problem is I'm married to a very very good cook, so anything I make is a travesty in my eyes .
    I have 2 friends

Tried a beef bourguignon on Sunday with a cut up brisket joint. Taste was fine but if i'm to do it again I'd need to get some cornflour in to thicken the sauce. The kids demolished it too. Apart from trying to cut the joint with shit knives it was piss easy.

I've just thought at some point were going to have to see Langers pictures of his meals.
    I have 2 friends

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    My problem is I'm married to a very very good cook, so anything I make is a travesty in my eyes .
    Have a dig, you might surprise yourself. I wasn't a writer once. I constantly hate my own work. Others think differently don't they!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Tried a beef bourguignon on Sunday with a cut up brisket joint. Taste was fine but if i'm to do it again I'd need to get some cornflour in to thicken the sauce. The kids demolished it too. Apart from trying to cut the joint with shit knives it was piss easy.
    Perfect for that. Superb in a roulade too.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/1427...autologin=true

Twitter
    Facebook

Have a dig, you might surprise yourself. I wasn't a writer once. I constantly hate my own work.
    One of my many many failings is that I am rarely impressed with my own work, never satisfied
    I have 2 friends

One of my many many failings is that I am rarely impressed with my own work, never satisfied
    Endemic in most of us it isn't it (in fact you have to be a bit of sociopath IMO to big yourself up constantly).

I have so little self-esteem and yet people always tell me how great my work is. I bet if you gave it a go your missus would enjoy it. What's the worst that can happen, a shit meal that goes in the bin? So we try again tomorrow.

Twitter
    Facebook

Anything in a casserole pot then everyone can do - whatever the recipe says you can bung most other things in without destroying the meal, just gives it a different flavour.

Once set up it just needs to be bunged in the oven.
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

(paused for the moment, but hopefully to be continued)

I have so little self-esteem and yet people always tell me how great my work is.
    Honest question, not judgemental, when we praise your work, do you not believe us ?
    I have 2 friends

Honest question, not judgemental, when we praise your work, do you not believe us ?
    Sort of. I used to think it was just people being nice but there are too many now to think it's that. I just always think when I get praise, "well I could have written something better than that if I wanted to". Plus it's not really "work" is it. It's me sat on my arse on my sofa writing about football. There's no graft there.

I do appreciate it but you have to understand what I'm like. Those who have known me for the best part of two decades will attest to what a pain in the arse I can be

Twitter
    Facebook

Aye. I'd say if you cook it properly then it's better meat than breast. Probably half the cost too.
    100% right. Chicken thighs taste miles better. Take the skin off and score them and drop them into a thai curry and they soak up all the flavour so much better than a chicken breast. The best bit of a chicken for me.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Always do the cornflour thing. 1 teaspoon into a small glass, half fill it with water, mix it with a small spoon or fork, and pour into the sauce. Instant thickener.

And never forget to monte au beurre if you want to be a fat fucker. Bit of butter whipped into a sauce right at the end gives it a sheen, body, and enhances the taste. Never use salted butter for that though or you arse up the seasoning.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by PPB View Post
    Just to confirm, mince curry is shit.

Couldn't eat it.
    Keema is ace.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Always do the cornflour thing. 1 teaspoon into a small glass, half fill it with water, mix it with a small spoon or fork, and pour into the sauce. Instant thickener.

And never forget to monte au beurre if you want to be a fat fucker. Bit of butter whipped into a sauce right at the end gives it a sheen, body, and enhances the taste. Never use salted butter for that though or you arse up the seasoning.
    Try some dark chocolate in it as well, I haven't done it so i want someone else to be a guinea pig
    I have 2 friends

Delia and BBC Recipes are the easiest to follow, IMO.

It's really easy to get on the dissing Delia bandwagon but her how to cook series of books is a bloody great place to pick up a lot of the basics. Get those building blocks in place and then you can have flights of fancy like the Thomas Keller, Heston Bluementhal or El Bulli cookbooks. Without that, they are really just coffee table books.*

*even with the basics in place Heston and El Bulli are really inspiration stuff, amazing as they are. I don't tend to have that much liquid nitrogen hanging around and it is rare to find it in Morrisons. Saying that, Thomas Keller books are well worth checking out if you want to try cooking 3 star food that involves a lot of process and bloody hard work and especially time, but doesn't need a chemistry degree.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Oh - and if you want to get good at French cookery hunt on ebay or second hand bookshops for the Julia Child books. They are exceptional.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

One thing in our house we are not stuck for is cookery books

IMG_1048.jpg
    I have 2 friends

Steak cooked french rare - so walked through a warm room and a properly made Bearnaise is awesome. Have it with some frites and a nice salad with vinaigrette or french dressing on the side. Ace.
    One of the local restaurants in Beaulieu sur Mer does a stonking pav de boeuf (cooked saignant), served with a little salad, a scant helpng of pommes dauphinoise and a roasted tomato with a crumb topping. It's my go-to, straight after moules en persillade.

In response to Paul, if that fucker has not mooed its last moments before arriving at my table, I'm not eating it.

IMG_1048.jpg
    You need to take down the Xmas decorations Paul. Just hope you can find the time for these tasks

Kudos to Paddy yesterday for mentioning prawns and posh restaurants without bringing Lorraine Kelly into the conversation.

You need to take down the Xmas decorations Paul. Just hope you can find the time for these tasks
    I've got 12 weeks mate, don't want to blow all the excitement at the start
    I have 2 friends

IMG_1048.jpg
    We had one of those mouse cheese board cutter things when I was young, we were literally never allowed to use it or even touch it.

Sneaked it down once and tried to use it, it was terrible! Looked good though.
    )

IMG_1048.jpg
    Nice to see a couple of Mary Berrys in there. I love that woman.