Thread: Questions from The Ponty End

Questions from The Ponty End

Thanks for agreeing to contribute to On The Ponty End. My aim over the next week or so is to deliver a small series of posts based on the theme of 'How To Escape From League One'. Some of this content will come from a number of guest contributors.

I have proposed some questions below to "theme" the type of content and responses you may be able to provide. However, I would equally be happy with a 500-600 word piece on your insights on how Wolves overcame the challenges of life in League One and secured promotion to the Championship.

Proposed Q&A
    Proir to the start of the 2013/14 season, how was the playing squad enhanced to mount a serious challenge in League One following relegation from the Championship?

What was the general mood and expectation of the Wolves supporters at the beginning of the 2013/14 season?

In your opinion, are there any dramatic differences amongst the mix of opposition that Barnsley FC are likely to face next season. If so, what assumptions can we make?

Wolverhapton Wanders were a unique commodity in League One last season; easily able to boast of the largest following home and away by a country mile, with finances equally boltered by PL Parachute Payments. Despite this giant status, how did Kenny Jacket galvanise success at Molineux where others had failed?

Apart from Brentford and Rotherham, did you ever feel that any other sides could have made the leap from League One last season, based on their performances versus Wolves?

From your perspective, what were the key moments or events in your season which helped catapult your club forward to success?

If you could describe the Wolves style of play in League One in just one sentence. What would it be?

What was your most successful formation?

We wish you the very best of luck in the Championship for next season, but with one look over your shoulder at the teams now left in the tier below, who do you think will be in the top six of the bunch?

Any further comments

Please feel free to re-jig the questions above, or alternatively write a completely new article based on the theme of "How To Escape from League One".

I'll start:

1. Before the start of the season the squad was a hotchpotch of (mostly poor) players brought into the club under the previous failed regimes. Kenny Jackett's first act as Wolves manager was to transfer list the overpaid wasters and big time Charlies.
    2. All things considered the general mood of the fans was one of excitement. Some disillusioned souls drifted away and to be honest I can't blame them after the previous 3 or 4 seasons.
    3. Kenny Jackett made sure that the players bought into the future and history of the club and that the fans and players were "on the same page" so to speak. Previous regimes had destroyed the relationship between players and fans; fans felt completely alienated by some of the vastly overpaid players we had. Ken has turned this situation around and brought in exciting young players to whom fans can relate.
    4. After Leyton Orient's excellent season I think they deserved to be promoted. Unfortunately the winds of football didn't blow in their favour and the rest is history.
    5. There were 5 key points that turned the tide in our favour. The first was keeping Sako after all of the speculation in the transfer window. The arrivals of Kevin McDonald, James Henry, Michael Jacobs and Nouha Dicko were the other 4. Not only did Dicko's goals push us over the line, but he reinvigorated a flagging Sako by giving him a best friend within the camp.
    6. Fluid, entertaining football with plenty of flair added to the mixture.
    7. We had the most success with the 4-2-3-1 formation. McDonald and Price formed a fantastic partnership in front of the back 4 keeping possession effectively for us. The attacking midfield 3 were very fluid and often interchanged. The lone striker (usually Dicko) offered goals plus searing pace on the break.
    8. For me the top 6 in League One will consist of Sheffield United, PNE, Barnsley, Yeovil and Orient with Walsall just making it in having massively overachieved.
    9. League One is a more entertaining league than I'd ever imagined. Approach it with the respect it deserves and not with arrogance. When we were relegated to the Championship many fans assumed that we only had to turn up to games to win them - how wrong were we? All that's left to say is good luck.

Questions from The Ponty End

1. It was more moving the old guards out, which was the main difference.

2. With the resources we had promotion was a bare minimum, however, I did expect us to be breaking records left, right and centre.

3. My opinion, the league is a better footballing standard than most of the championships team, but without strikers that can punish you.

4. As answered in question 1, he removed the players that was dragging the rest of the team down.

5. Rotherham were probably the best side we played last season, but Swindon played some good football too.

6. We went through a poor period over Christmas and changing Griffiths for Dicko made a big difference.

7. It came in two halves. 1st part of the season we managed to get the job done. 2nd half we played attractive, free flowing football which blew the opposition away.

8. 4-2-3-1

9. Coventry, Peterborough and Preston would be the teams I'd put forward for promotion.

1. Sam Ricketts coming in as captain made a big difference but it was more about getting rid of numpties.

2. Still angry, but relief that Saunders had gone and that the early signs from Jackett were good.

3. I didn't see a lot but from what I did see it was really poor. There were one or two good footballing sides but the big difference was that our players were far more clinical.

4. Jackett got rid of a load of bad apples and worked very hard to build a relationship with the fans. The team pre-Christmas was not his and the football was pretty ropey but after Christmas we were superb. I think being in L1 helped Jackett as even though it took him a few months to make his mark on the team they still had enough to be near the top of the league.

5. Crawley looked pretty decent.

6. All the signings Jackett made (bar Clarke) were fantastic. Sako's form after January.

7. Post January we looked like Brazil 70!

8. 4-2-3-1

9. Leyton Orient, PNE.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift