Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves v Blackburn 3-1 Verdict thread

400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.

Wolves v Blackburn 3-1 Verdict thread

Wolves go 3rd (3 goals inferior to Watford) and looking good.
    Away you go.
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.

4 wins out of 5 going into the international break. Am I in dreamland?

Thanks for your commentary Roy. Much appreciated.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

I am in dreamland, this is really, really ,looking good. bring on forest and watford, they should be shitting themselves!
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Lovely stuff.

Really should be 5/5 too.

Yep, five out of five would have been nothing less than fair given the fact we battered Rotherham. But having soundly beaten Norwich, Cardiff, Flum and Blackburn whilst playing some fucking awesome football I will now publicly announce my man crush on Kenny Jackett.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Jinky is offline Has better things to do and a life. Also a total arse.
    I think the Rotherham defeat needs to be looked at as a positive, as silly as that may sound. A little boot up the arse and look at the return. Wins v Fulham, Cardiff & Blackburn. Spectacular stuff - well done to all involved!

Early days yet, but a very good start to the season. Blackburn was always going to be a tough game, but it sounds like Wolves played very well.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    We deserved to win against a decent footballing side, who really weren't able to create all that much due to our tremendous back 4.

This was a superb result for us - more clinical in front of goal, dangerous on the break with every single man knowing their role and the system very well indeed.

We're a good side, and from what I've seen today we'll be very difficult to play against. Tenacity all over the pitch, we press well, we keep the ball well and I think we have better individual quality than most sides, definitely the case today.

People worried about the squad depth really shouldn't be too concerned. With the exception of upfront, we're well stocked all over the pitch. Doherty was outstanding - he's keeping our captain on the bench. Edwards - excellent. Able to take a breather and let Rowe take a bow. Evans - a few hospital passes but by no means a poor game made way for Saville. RVLP - wound up and rightfully replaced at half time by Henry who had a point to prove, and who did well.

I thought it was a very good game of football by 2 sides who like to play the game on the deck. No hoof ball at all today, and it was a credit to the championship.

And the best thing is we looked pretty comfortable and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

MOTM: I want to see the penalty again but other than that, Danny Batth was superb. Matt Doherty a close second.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

How did the new boys look, Langers?
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

Quote Originally Posted by Dinowolf View Post
    How did the new boys look, Langers?
    The game was dying out when they came on but Saville got stuck in (got booked right at the end). Both tidy enough but not really enough time to judge them.

We really do need another striker though and I'm sure we'll get one before our next game. Dicko looked knackered by the end, unsurprisingly given how much running he does.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I thought this was our worse performance this season, but we were more clinical than we have been in other games. Personally, I think a draw would have been a fair result.

And it was good to briefly meet Youngen.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Really good stuff all around, we stood firm when we came under pressure. By no means our best performance, we came out quite casual for the second half too.

We played some lovely football, particularly on the counter where we are so dangerous. We definitely need to be a bit tighter in the middle, sometimes we are easy To cut through but out defence is so solid they deal with everything anyway.

MOTM Edwards for me closely followed by Dicko and Batth. Edwards used the ball really well today, turning and playing forward in good positions and making great runs in behind. Dicko in the second half was awesome, his play for the third goal was brilliant.

More positives - Henry had a good half when he came on, had the beating of his man and clever with the ball. Doherty links well with whoever is in front of him. And Saville looks very comfortable on the ball.

Plenty of room for improvement and a lot to be excited about!

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Also - very nice to meet Penk even though it was a brief chat! edit - just seen your post

Jinky is offline Has better things to do and a life. Also a total arse.
    According to Facebook, Kenny Jackett has revealed that Andy Delort has rejected a move to Wolves and chose to sign for Wigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinky View Post
    According to Facebook, Kenny Jackett has revealed that Andy Delort has rejected a move to Wolves and chose to sign for Wigan.
    Check the transfer thread James.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    I thought this was our worse performance this season, but we were more clinical than we have been in other games. Personally, I think a draw would have been a fair result.
    I've only seen the Norwich game prior to this - so if that's the case it's no bad thing!

I think we deserved the win though.

Just seen the goals on Goals Express. Lovely third from Dicko/Sako.

It also showed Moxey and Morgan doing the ice bucket challenge before kickoff.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    It's all about opinion - I thought the total opposite and we played best I've seen all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    I've only seen the Norwich game prior to this - so if that's the case it's no bad thing!

I think we deserved the win though.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we were crap, just that it's our weakest performance to date, which yes, is a good thing.

I thought we thoroughly deserved the victory. The 3rd goal killed Blackburn off but boy it was needed as Blackburn were really putting the pressure on us. Evans I though around the 60 minute mark onwards looked like a lost sheep. Blackburn midfield really did pull him apart and maybe we should have replaced him then, he did have a very good first half mind.

We should have wrapped the game up just after half time, some brilliant interchanging ended up with Doherty who should have scored in hindsight. The backline were superb and apart from the penalty dealt with every ball into a one dimensional Rhodes. Maccy again was sublime dictating the play and shifting it around with ease. Doherty is easily the bright light so far this season, good in the air from goal kicks, links up brilliantly with either Sako or Van La Parra.

The forward line in Dicko, Sako and VLP were very busy and gave Blackburn fullbacks no end of trouble. VLP not as good this week I didn't think, but Sako without being sensational made a massive difference in front of goal. Special shout outs to Henry who has found starts hard but I thought he was brilliant for 45 minutes and the James Henry we know and love.

I thought Edwards had a really good first half.

So the consensus would appear to be that while we did well and deserved to win, there is plenty more to come from this team.

Excellent performance against a more than useful side. Very impressive and expansive first thirty then we become more functional. Thought we defended well as a unit and I don't quite think Blackburn had that much apart from Rhodes. Felt if we'd have gone in 0-0 we'd have been more on the front foot and Blackburn wouldn't have come back quite as strong.

The left/right combos perhaps gave us the edge and what has developed between Docherty/Para and then Henry was very pleasing to the eye. Danny Batth punched everything back showing himself to be very sold and was very hard done by with the penalty. The Stearman/Batth partnership showing no weak spot at all. Golbourne again very impressive - smart player, defends and attacks with equal aplomb.

Mac leading superbly in the middle alongside Evans who lost his focus slightly second but he keeps looking for that positive ball. Thought Dave made some excellent runs early second but maybe not one of his best. Dicko worked very hard, keeps trying to the right things and he deserved his goal. Wish he'd calm down, reminds me of Bully in a frenzied type way but I expect him to smash a few in. VLP is very raw, looks great on the ball but I thought James Henry was more direct, quicker and bloody hell that's a dilemma for KJ.

MoM Bakary Sako

My first game of the league season. I thought we looked like we more than belonged at this level.

Few random thoughts:
    Doherty very good, best I've seen him play
    Batth clumsy for the pen, but boy Jordan Rhodes loves a dive....Prem league player in the making.
    Saville said in his signing interview how much he likes a tackle. I hope today he was trying to impress, because he liked a tackle a bit too much!
    First half, we didn't hoof to Dicko, but did play a lot of high passes which Hanley ate up.
    If Dicko was 4 inches taller we'd be a fantastic team. He has strength and pace, just his lack of height takes away an option for us.
    Midfield a bit too easy to run through, Evans needs to press higher when they have the ball.
    McDonald is irreplaceable

Final thought. Isn't it great to have a manager that understands the game? RVLP was going to be sent off, for whatever reason the ref had it in for him, yet he took him off at half time. Top man.

Shameless plug for a photo I got today on the way to the game.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409421583.879910.jpg

Got to love various iPhone apps!

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Shameless plug for a photo I got today on the way to the game.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409421583.879910.jpg

Got to love various iPhone apps!
    already commented on that pic Langers, get a big glossy print and frame it, it's worth a million to you both
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

For those that went, how did we deal with the threat of Rhodes?

great result and great performance by the sound of it. Might actually think about coming over for a game.
    Over the next three travel updates, up to the end of February, WHO continued to advise against travel restrictions, even as evidence mounted over the potential worldwide catastrophe that may result from the coronavirus.
    And that remains the position today. As the infections increased, deaths mounted, WHO’s travel advice remained essentially unmoved..