Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brighton (H) buildup thread

Brighton (H) buildup thread

Figure we might as well kick this off.

Good to break the losing streak over the weekend but we shouldn't get cocky - if Stevie May had had more luck getting shots on target then that might have ended up very differently. We're still a little nervy, and we should look to Brighton - one win and two draws over their last six games, and struggling almost on the bottom of the table - as a chance to notch up another three points and rebuild confidence ahead of what will no doubt be a very challenging match against Watford on Boxing Day.

Also worth noting that before the match against Wednesday we were five points off the play-offs, and after winning... we're still five points off. We've stopped falling behind, but not exactly begun catching up if we think that's what we're still capable of.

Any changes? I'd think about swapping Hause for a more natural left-back if available (ie Golbourne) but otherwise imagine we'll stick to what worked. Dicko is meant to be back in training today so will probably be available on the bench, which is a relief.

YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Unless Golbourne is fit I think Hause will stay in the team. Do think Stearman's place will be under threat from Hause anyway in the near future. I don't know how Edwards played but maybe bring back Evans or Price into the team. Otherwise I don't see it being very different.

Little bit worried that we are losing the identity we seemed to have worked very hard to create. We've stopped playing out from the back, or playing through the thirds. We might have needed to go back to basics to get a result but the club has hyped up this 'philosophy and style that is meant to go through the whole club.

Ikeme

Iorfa Batth Stearman Hause

Henry Evans McDonald Sako

van La Parra Dicko

Subs: Kuszczak, Jacobs, Price, Rowe, Edwards, Clarke, Graham

Seeing as Nouha will have had a full weeks training under his belt I'd start him. Danny Graham unlucky to miss out but Nouha holds the ball up just as well as he does, hassles defenders more and has a fantastic partnership with Sako down the left hand side. The pace, athleticism and skill of Nouha and Rajiv up front would scare any defence in this league and Brighton are playing Greg Halford at centre half.

Haven't heard anything about Golbourne returning to fitness so Hause keeps his place after a solid debut.

Edwards had a poor game so I'd have Evans back in. McDonald is much higher up the pitch in this formation I think he needs someone beside him who will be able to cover and compliment his short passing, Edwards just isn't that player unfortunately.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

I'd rather have Dicko and Graham up front together with VLP on the right instead of Henry, tbh, in that team.

If we're dropping Henry I'd put Jacobs in. I don't think Rajiv would work on the right in this formation, he's best in this free role where he can pop up anywhere.

Yeah but Dicko does that to an extent as well - a huge part of his game is chasing down balls and laying them off to an incoming Sako/Henry/whoever is coming up from central midfield for them to have a shot on goal. He's a false 9, to an extent, but then RVLP is as well (god knows he can't shoot on target to save his life), so having two of them doesn't seem sensible to me unless we expect eg Edwards to be the main goalscorer. Hence it's Graham + either Dicko or RVLP for me.

Dicko isn't a false 9 he's a centre forward. In this formation Danny Graham is using his strength to hold off defenders and lay the ball off to other attackers. Nouha does this just as well as he does but he's also got the pace in behind to stretch teams.

van La Parra can't shoot to save his life? He had a perfectly good goal disallowed on Saturday which would've been our goal of the season so far. Incredible finish.

If Dicko is fit he should start for me. And he should have Graham next to him. They would be a perfect foil in Jacket's 4-4-2. Not that I don't trust VLP, I just don't see him as a centre forward.

Van La Parra is a temporary solution to a temporary problem. He's only there because in the absence of Dicko none of our other forwards have any pace. Once Dicko is back there's no gap for him to fill up front so he can go back on the bench/compete with Henry to start on the right hand side.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

We need to find out if Graham and Dicko can play together effectively before Graham's loan runs out. That way we'll know if it's worth extending or looking elsewhere.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

I'd go same team but with Dicko and Golbourne in for VLP and Hause if fit. I don't think we can afford to play both VLP and Sako wide in a 442, therefore Henry keeps his place for his workrate. I hope Hypia is still in charge by Saturday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    We need to find out if Graham and Dicko can play together effectively before Graham's loan runs out. That way we'll know if it's worth extending or looking elsewhere.
    Good point.
    Veni, Vidi, Comedit

This will be my first visit to Molineux, since August. Hope to see Dicko and Graham playing, together, at some stage in the game. As I have not enjoyed a pre-game pint since the 'Elephant & Castle' closed, maybe someone can recommend a place where four of us may enjoy a good, quiet-ish pint before the game. I hate crowded pubs that play loud music with gorillas on the door!
    Wales is not like California in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by croxdenabbey View Post
    This will be my first visit to Molineux, since August. Hope to see Dicko and Graham playing, together, at some stage in the game. As I have not enjoyed a pre-game pint since the 'Elephant & Castle' closed, maybe someone can recommend a place where four of us may enjoy a good, quiet-ish pint before the game. I hate crowded pubs that play loud music with gorillas on the door!
    Quiet...Hmmmm you don't want much, do you?!
    The Western can get a little crowded but it's the same in most of the pubs pre-match.
    What are you looking for, Croxden? (Real Ale pub or just somewhere cheap and cheerful?)
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

Real Ale, please. Yes, I do like quiet pubs that serve decent ale and promote good conversation. I dislike loud pop music. However, I do realize that anywhere near to Wolverhampton town centre is unlikely to be quiet, but a decent pint of real ale is paramount. I might even enjoy a second pint, after the match, should we beat Brighton!

Real Ale, please. Yes, I do like quiet pubs that serve decent ale and promote good conversation. I dislike loud pop music. However, I do realize that anywhere near to Wolverhampton town centre is unlikely to be quiet, but a decent pint of real ale is paramount. I might even enjoy a second pint, after the match, should we beat Brighton!
    To be honest the real ale pubs we generally go in are The Western, where we meet up with other forum members....Just round the back of the railway station or if you drive it has decent parking
    Also Posada which is on the way into the centre, shows the live football and has a good selection of real ales.
    There is always space to be found in both pubs to stand and talk and sometimes you can get a decent seat too

Darlo - let me know where you'll be saturday mate! I owe you at least a beer!

Croxden, if you know where you'll be, let me know too. Be nice to shake your hand sir.
    On matchdays, my name is darlowolf

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Darlo - let me know where you'll be saturday mate! I owe you at least a beer!

Croxden, if you know where you'll be, let me know too. Be nice to shake your hand sir.
    Will do Warren...Will you be making the match?

Will get to The Wheatsheaf, hopefully, for about 1.15 to 1.30. You can't miss me, I look like Father Christmas (or Karl Marx)! I'll have an old fella with me and two blond youths (my sons). See you there, hopefully.

Warren, if you can make it, I'll bring along a CD of the Hans Rott's 'Symphony in E Major'! Merry Christmas - All I want for Christmas is Three Points against Brighton!

Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    Will do Warren...Will you be making the match?
    Yes. My dad is treating me via the free tickets for the people living close to the academy things, as he lives nearby. Not close enough to be affected - when I saw the story I chukled. My jaw fell when he said he'd had an invite to get tickets!
    Will get to The Wheatsheaf, hopefully, for about 1.15 to 1.30. You can't miss me, I look like Father Christmas (or Karl Marx)! I'll have an old fella with me and two blond youths (my sons). See you there, hopefully.

Warren, if you can make it, I'll bring along a CD of the Hans Rott's 'Symphony in E Major'! Merry Christmas - All I want for Christmas is Three Points against Brighton!
    Hope to bump into you matey.
    On matchdays, my name is darlowolf

Is that The Wheatsheaf Hotel on Market Street, Croxden?

The Lych Gate is a quiet real ale pub, don't know if they have fans in on a match day or not but past experience tells me they'll throw you out if you talk above a whisper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    The Lych Gate is packed after the match. Not sure about pre.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

I would imagine so. It re-opened in the summer. Unfortunately they've put lipstick on a pig.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

By the Metro Terminus, Darlo. Near the 'Express. & Star' offices.

Hope to meet you, there.

YoungWolf is online now World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Dicko and EEL training this week and Jackett will decide on if he thinks they are ready. I can imagine Ebanks-Landell being on the bench seeing as we only had Rowe on Saturday who could come on in that position. Dicko I think we will be careful with.

Golbourne still injured.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

Hearing that Dicko could be back for Brighton.....
    Last edited by DejaVuWolf; 16th December 2014 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    Unless Golbourne is fit I think Hause will stay in the team. Do think Stearman's place will be under threat from Hause anyway in the near future. I don't know how Edwards played but maybe bring back Evans or Price into the team. Otherwise I don't see it being very different.

Little bit worried that we are losing the identity we seemed to have worked very hard to create. We've stopped playing out from the back, or playing through the thirds. We might have needed to go back to basics to get a result but the club has hyped up this 'philosophy and style that is meant to go through the whole club.
    Thats the concern that we lose the pattern of play from last season that was easy on the eye and also brought its rewards.
    In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    If the players can't handle the way we played last season against better teams, what do you do? Do a Stale and stick to your guns and be stubborn or do you adapt what you are doing to a way the players can cope until you are able to bring in players that can play in the way we want at the level we are?