Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 163

Thread: Landmark Klaxon!

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Normanton
    Posts
    21,389
    All three of our bins are the bigger size as standard I think, they're certainly all the same size, the recycling one is hampered by an insert that takes up a fair bit of room but we generally don't have much of the stuff that goes in there so just leave it out if we're struggling for space.

    Had a bit of a mare when we first moved up here as took some bin types for granted based on colours back home, had to dig a lot of garden waste back out of my recycling bin.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
    We’ll just get a bigger bin.
    Think of the kids man.
    )

  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The best part of Wolvo.
    Posts
    27,720
    Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Think of the kids man.
    They’ll both fit in, no problem.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,677
    You may or not be aware and may or may not be interested, in Ireland we have 'bin tags'. You buy the tag and stick it to the bin handle. Bin men wont empty the bin unless it's got a tag. Crap idea really.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,677
    We compost raw vegetable waste, any other food waste goes into the dog or on the bird table, we recycle plastic, glass and metal. Burn everything else like paper and card in the stove. Never have a bin emptied.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    87,780
    Quote Originally Posted by arklowolf View Post
    You may or not be aware and may or may not be interested, in Ireland we have 'bin tags'. You buy the tag and stick it to the bin handle. Bin men wont empty the bin unless it's got a tag. Crap idea really.
    May I ask what the purpose is?
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    May I ask what the purpose is?
    Well there's no 'community charge', so it's run by private alleged 'recycling companies'.
    Quite a few households seem to prefer dumping it in the nearest ditch though as it saves them a few bob.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    May I ask what the purpose is?
    The tags are paper and removed by the bin men. You only buy a tag and put the bin out when you require it to be emptied. So the less waste you create the less you pay.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    20,120
    Quote Originally Posted by arklowolf View Post
    Well there's no 'community charge', so it's run by private alleged 'recycling companies'.
    Quite a few households seem to prefer dumping it in the nearest ditch though as it saves them a few bob.
    Not sure that thats overly helpful to our one planet - mine at least gets collected and disposed of (though not sure that the recycling gets put anywhere different to the rest of the rubbish)
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    9,163
    In Dublin, you have poxy bin bags, you buy a pack of 3 for a tenner, they hold about 75ltr each, you fill them and leave them out for collection. The problem is that the birds and foxes tear holes in them, then the binmen dont pick them up as the bags have to be in a 'suitable condition', so the bags get left in the street to get spread around by seagulls. It creates an unbelievable mess and is just the most idiotic solution to waste disposal ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

    I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Not sure that thats overly helpful to our one planet - mine at least gets collected and disposed of (though not sure that the recycling gets put anywhere different to the rest of the rubbish)
    No it's sickening and then volunteers have to go and clean up after the bastards. Ive seen fridges, mattresses, settees, you name it dumped.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    33,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Not sure that thats overly helpful to our one planet - mine at least gets collected and disposed of (though not sure that the recycling gets put anywhere different to the rest of the rubbish)
    Neither is charging to go to the tip. Just encourages fly tipping.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Normanton
    Posts
    21,389
    Think we're allowed to leave excess/bulky waste alongside the bins for collection on the appropriate days, and the tip is free.

    Bolsover/Derbyshire is on fire for waste management!
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burton-On-Trent
    Posts
    44,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    South Staffs is on the same cycle as Mark describes, recycling one week, general waste the next. Somehow we manage to survive.
    Same here in Burton. Food has to go in with general waste too.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,488
    We recycle as much as possible, and in reality can easily get away with only putting the main bin and recycling bin out every 4 weeks, except maybe at christmas when there's extra cardboard etc.

    As a gardener I have several compost piles for anything organic.

    When Birmingham changed to wheely bins, it was chaos here as they didn't have the right trucks! Fairly sure that we went 8 weeks without a collection. By this time, the bins were full, and pretty sure that it would be a lot worse for those with kids. What struck me as odd, was the predominant refusal by the majority to even consider going to the tip.

    Socially, we create far too much waste imo.
    On matchdays, my name is darlowolf

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Up a mountain, donegal, ireland
    Posts
    3,522
    Quote Originally Posted by arklowolf View Post
    The tags are paper and removed by the bin men. You only buy a tag and put the bin out when you require it to be emptied. So the less waste you create the less you pay.
    We pay every 6 months for two bins and they are collected fortnightly (get a sticker to put on it to show you have paid up), which is ok (apart from the cardio workout I get every fortnight, pulling 2 full bins uphill for 400yds). However they are bringing in shortly new charging system where the service charge is lower but you are charged by the weight of the bin, every house has a weight allowance and for every kg over that, you get charged.

    Idea is to increase recycling, as heard the expected average cost will be €100 per year extra. Not sure how much it will help the environment as people will generally rather then work harder recycling will be more rubbish burnt or increase the fly tipping.

  17. #77
    machin05's Avatar
    machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    33,106
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16,488
    On matchdays, my name is darlowolf

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,026
    Co-living is a really interesting concept. Hope it goes well.
    )

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    87,780
    Yeah, that's a really good idea. Hard to see anyone taking that on for office space in the current climate (and the current standing of Wolves as a city).

    £600 all in isn't the worst deal.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  21. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,026
    I sat on a planning discussion panel at Birmingham university about it (exciting life I lead) and there was a lot of talk around how it had been successful around Europe and some parts of the UK. Main issue though was people being lazy first and not keeping the communal areas in good condition.
    )

  22. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fordhouses
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Yeah, that's a really good idea. Hard to see anyone taking that on for office space in the current climate (and the current standing of Wolves as a city).
    The problem with office space in the city centre (which most people moaning about i9 on Facebook and the Guess and Stir can't see) is that the vast majority of it isn't really fit for purpose any more - this building included. They're 60s and 70s buildings, built for a time where the power requirements of an office ran to a few lights, where there was no computing, so no networking, nowhere to put servers, poor insulation, and generally all the things that modern businesses want.

    It's the commercial equivalent of saying "we don't need new houses, look, there's all these empty slums over there".

  23. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    87,780
    Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    I sat on a planning discussion panel at Birmingham university about it (exciting life I lead) and there was a lot of talk around how it had been successful around Europe and some parts of the UK. Main issue though was people being lazy first and not keeping the communal areas in good condition.
    True, loads of us have lived with a nightmare housemate at some point, imagine multiples of them. You have to trust people not to be cunts I suppose, which isn't easy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Law's Bus View Post
    The problem with office space in the city centre (which most people moaning about i9 on Facebook and the Guess and Stir can't see) is that the vast majority of it isn't really fit for purpose any more - this building included. They're 60s and 70s buildings, built for a time where the power requirements of an office ran to a few lights, where there was no computing, so no networking, nowhere to put servers, poor insulation, and generally all the things that modern businesses want.

    It's the commercial equivalent of saying "we don't need new houses, look, there's all these empty slums over there".
    Spot on. Office life should be dying out to a massive extent anyway over the next decade. So many jobs don't need to be done in one location, the amount of time wasted on commuting (as well as the continual damage it causes to the environment) is criminal.

    There would be absolutely zero benefit to anyone if I had to travel to an office even just in the centre of town (one single 6 minute train ride away).
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  24. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,026
    Yeah, they are seeing that in Dublin already. City is growing, but actual people travelling and working in centre is stagnant.
    )

  25. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Between Wolves and Wales
    Posts
    2,267
    I work in the ultimate 1970s building in town - the Civic Centre!

  26. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fordhouses
    Posts
    2,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Office life should be dying out to a massive extent anyway over the next decade. So many jobs don't need to be done in one location, the amount of time wasted on commuting (as well as the continual damage it causes to the environment) is criminal.
    Yep. I can literally do my job from anywhere - we have Skype for Business on every meeting, full access to everything I do, the works. Up until a couple of months ago, I got to work from home two days a week, which brought the average commute time over the week to something sensible, given I work near the NEC and it can take a couple of hours via bus and train; plus a day a week in London. However, management can't deal with seeing empty desks, so it's back to visual management and one day a week.

    I find on WFH days I work solidly from 0700 until about 1800 when I notice the time. If I'm in the office, I'm out of the door at 1500...

  27. #87
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    87,780
    Again that mindset *should* die out when people who started working in the 70s/80s/early-mid 90s retire and the next generation take over.

    People don't react well to the culture they grew up with changing. I still can't get my head around paying for a drink at a bar with my card, because when I started going to pubs, that was the mark of a dick as the barman would have to get the machine out, mess around with the till etc. Clearly now it actually is miles more convenient with contactless, it's a 0.05 second transaction. But my tiny mind can't comprehend that so I carry cash everywhere. And wake up on a Sunday morning with about 23 pound coins in my jeans.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  28. #88
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,026
    It's odd, i have free reign to work from anywhere i want (10 offices in UK, loads abroad or my home). When i have nothing on i still go to our office in Birmingham at least twice a week - even when all my direct colleagues are here in Holland.

    Having worked from home full time, I think I appreciate a modicum of human contact. Still going home by 4 latest though.
    )

  29. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    87,780
    Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    It's odd, i have free reign to work from anywhere i want (10 offices in UK, loads abroad or my home). When i have nothing on i still go to our office in Birmingham at least twice a week - even when all my direct colleagues are here in Holland.

    Having worked from home full time, I think I appreciate a modicum of human contact. Still going home by 4 latest though.
    You should try being a borderline sociopath mate, it saves so much time per week. Trust me.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  30. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    You should try being a borderline sociopath mate, it saves so much time per week. Trust me.
    Oh I think I'm there, it's probably only by going to an office full of weirdos I can fully get my dose of feeling superior.
    )

Similar Threads

  1. A minor landmark...
    By Visage in forum Admin
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 20th July 2013, 02:00 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •