Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Landmark Klaxon!

At the civic they're planning an extra balcony in the civic above the existing one, as mark says. Plus installing a balcony in the wulfrun to increase capacity too.
    Think some issues arose as a result of grade 2 listing?

A lot of bands love the civic, moreso after a massive overhaul of the backstage areas was done a few years ago. Bands were genuinely clambering to get in there.

Building an arena would be risky. There's a variety of similar sized venues locally (ie midlands) with birmingham the obvious competition, having the NEC, NIA, town hall, symphony hall, hippodrome and so on. So you'd need to be cautious in looking at the size of venue you're building.

Plus, the market for tours has gone down, unless it's a mega show (ie NEC, or stadium to reduce costs). That's why comedians are everywhere these days, cheaper and easier to sort a seat & mic/stand with a few lights. Lot less gear, lot cheaper to run a tour. A lot of bands instead focus on the festival circuit instead.

Civic is one of the best venues I've been to, to be fair.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

Beattie's building up for sale at 3 million, sports direct looking at moving the actual store and stock to a more convenient site in the town centre,says the E&S.
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

the local historians among you might enjoy these - https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ne-in-pictures

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    the local historians among you might enjoy these - https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ne-in-pictures
    Thanks for that SLA. I worked near loads of those places, so was nice to see.

Why they will qualify: Nuno Espirito Santo is actually a tactical genius.

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    I like anything like this but it's 1983 and the photos look like they're pre war ??
    Why they will qualify: Nuno Espirito Santo is actually a tactical genius.

Try going to some of those areas now...

Ahhh, the Merry Hill monorail...

Managed more miles in a container ship than it ever managed at Merry Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I like anything like this but it's 1983 and the photos look like they're pre war ??
    The world of 1983 is probably as different from now as the world of 1933. You're just old enough to remember 1983

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/mi..._story_article

Landmark building sale falls through klaxon
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Hullis View Post
    https://www.insidermedia.com/news/mi..._story_article

Landmark building sale falls through klaxon
    Eesh, not good. I was really hopeful as to what the Uni had planned for it. It's just gonna sit there empty until it falls into ruin, like the Eye Infirmary.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Eesh, not good. I was really hopeful as to what the Uni had planned for it. It's just gonna sit there empty until it falls into ruin, like the Eye Infirmary.
    I don't think the council would allow that. It can't have come as a surprise how much the building would've cost to renovate, much of it is in shit order.

I hope something positive happens and I hope they uncover the grand staircase the Beatties did away with.

Think this is the right thread,we'll be having a new landmark in town shortly,permission granted for the brexit gammon pub chain whetherspoons to open its museum in Wolverhampton

Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Think this is the right thread,we'll be having a new landmark in town shortly,permission granted for the brexit gammon pub chain whetherspoons to open its museum in Wolverhampton
    Someone burn the fucking thing down...
    The poster formerly known as...

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    A place I will never visit #fuckwetherspoons

I did like the description I read of Tim Martin the other day - opinionated ham scarecrow.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

7 million it's costing,with the hotel and upgrade of the pub as well,creating 50 jobs it's reckoned

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    A place I will never visit #fuckwetherspoons

I did like the description I read of Tim Martin the other day - opinionated ham scarecrow.
    A pile of instant mash trying to pass itself off as Noddy Holder.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Does anyone else wonder what can go in the museum apart from his brexit leaflets?

7 million it's costing,with the hotel and upgrade of the pub as well,creating 50 jobs it's reckoned
    49 construction workers, and 1 person behind the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

Does anyone else wonder what can go in the museum apart from his brexit leaflets?
    Could have a barber shop to get your hair 'cut' like Tim's

If Weatherspoons ever build the hotel element then I would look at it if it was cheap as costs me a load of money to come up, but wouldn't be using any of their other services. Might only be the once though - if the quality is at the standard of the rest of their Wolverhampton offering I would prefer to pay more & go elsewhere
    This year we are going to break up the big 6 clubs (instead of just Arsenal)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    If Weatherspoons ever build the hotel element then I would look at it if it was cheap as costs me a load of money to come up, but wouldn't be using any of their other services. Might only be the once though - if the quality is at the standard of the rest of their Wolverhampton offering I would prefer to pay more & go elsewhere

They don't deserve a penny of anybody's money.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post

They don't deserve a penny of anybody's money.
    Sorry but as it costs me a minimum of 100 to come to a home match (& that's before any refreshment) then I will have to take what benefits I can.

Hopefully the other hotels respond if or when it opens to save me needing to contemplate going in there.
    This year we are going to break up the big 6 clubs (instead of just Arsenal)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Okay, but be sure to 'have an accident' in the bed before you leave.

oh dear, another increase on the Civic budget in the offing.

I'm not sure why the Council took the decision to halt the work in the first place, WDI have been carrying on throughout and been very innovative in their approach.

It will top out at over 40m, that gets you a large secondary school. I understand that the building did have significant issues, but surely someone must look at its viability as a scheme and why this hasn't been challenged effectively previously. When a private developer cant pay for what they want they get what they can afford/economically viable. The council are just going to the magic cashpoint I afraid.

I would keep the facade and just rebuild behind it would be my initial thoughts on a saving.

40m on a secondary school? You'd nearly get two for that money on our framework rates!
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    40m on a secondary school? You'd nearly get two for that money on our framework rates!
    Fully kitted out?
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

college i used to work in had a new build that cost over 80 million fully kitted out.
    Exact figure isn't clear though, as the then principle was up to all sorts of well dodgy stuff.
    https://www.tes.com/news/college-fra...-rule-breaches

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Fully kitted out?
    Indeed, will have been minimal legacy furniture bought across on the scheme I'm using as a benchmark because it was previously operated in much reduced numbers from a temporary site. That was an 8FE secondary with a separate sports block, 11 a side and 8 a side grass pitches and an 11 a side 4G pitch.

Came in comfortably below 30m and in London too.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.