Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rugby League Thread

Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Gimmick or the way forward?

Toronto Wolfpack: Canadian team to join English rugby league's third tier - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/36149660

My Nephew lives in Toronto, he supports Toronto FC, the Blue Jays and the Maple Leafs, never heard any mention of Rugby League so I'm not sure whether it'll catch on enough.

Wolves dishing out a bollicking, you don't hear that very often lately.

Cracking game. Brutal at times.

Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    Agreed, he's a good appointment, he's got Widnes playing some great stuff

Wolves a looking real champions material (it's always their year!) Wigans league position flatters them, they just don't seem to have the creative edge to break teams down, not taking anything away from Warrington

Great win for Huddersfield tonight, looks like Leeds are going to miss out on the last 8, just wish they were this shit when I took my dad to old Trafford last season, gits!!!

Another cracking game last night, Paul Anderson doing well like Dennis Betts, good to see some good young English coaches coming through.

So whinos are bottom of the pile? Who would have thought it? Perhaps their supporters can understand humility now. I very much doubt it though.

Looking grim for them tonight too, can't see Brian McDermot lasting much longer.

Hull have scored some cracking tries tonight.

Up in Newcastle for the magic weekend, next stop St James park and Salford v Widness, happy days

Great stuff, enjoy.

No sign of the Rhino's demise coming to an end.

Brilliant day yesterday, wish I'd have got the weekend passes now. Great to take my dad, my brother, wife and my youngest lad to watch them.

Top entertainment over 3 games and plenty of fun with the fans! Widness, Warrington and Wigan all in the same stand, beer flowing, songs sang, all a good laugh. Must admit I thought the whole thing a bit gimmicky when I saw it on the telly but it really does work well as a format.

As for the games, two entertaining games (Castleford are a good watch) and a Wigan win against a very poor Leeds side. Sad to see them a shell of what they were last year.

Zak Hardaker listed at £300k by the whinos!

Wants to try the NRL by the sounds of it, can't argue with a player wanting to prove himself at the highest level of competition. He's a good player, although not without his issues. For some reason he hasn't looked at the races this term, but he's not been on his own there at Leeds, truely shocking season and not good for the game to have such a weak Leeds side.

He will be missed in the Super league but I guess the balance of power is firmly in the Southern Hemisphere at the moment

Huddersfield Giants player Ronan Costello is in a critical condition at Leeds General Infirmary after being hurt in an Under-19s game on Saturday. Very sad news indeed, and it again shows the dangers associated with contact sports. Hopefully he can pull through.

Thank you Phil. I must admit to not knowing a lot about rugby league, but it is clear the RL family are firmly behind this young lad. Things do not look good at the moment, but hopefully he will recover.

Terrible news:

HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS STATEMENT
    It is with regret that Huddersfield Giants wish to inform everyone of the passing of 17 year old academy player Ronan Costello today. Ronan was airlifted to the LGI on Saturday afternoon after he was injured during the Giants academy game with Salford. The Club have been asked by the family to send their thanks for the messages of support they have received to date and have requested that all well-wishers now allow them to grieve and respect their privacy.
    The Huddersfield Giants are collating all messages, cards and tweets that they receive to pass to the family at the appropriate time.

COSTELLO FAMILY STATEMENT
    We are absolutely devastated to lose Ronan so tragically and suddenly. Ronan was a loving and caring 17 year old lad who was dedicated to his family and friends. He was a credit to all of his family and we are so proud of him and his achievements.

He was passionate about rugby and rugby was a big part of his life. We acknowledge that this was a tragic accident. As a family, we wish to extend our appreciation to Leeds General Infirmary’s Neuro Intensive Care Unit for their dedication, respect and efforts in caring for Ronan and to The Giants, especially Andy and Richard who have been a great support to us all during such a difficult time. We would like to thank everyone who has supported us but we now need some privacy and time to grieve.

We are all truly heartbroken and Ronan will be missed and forever in our hearts.

Very sad indeed, and so tragic. I knew he was badly injured, but did not realise how serious it was until LeedsWolf posted reports from Yorkshire newspapers. It shows the dangers involved in contact sports.

The lad was just 17 and loved his rugby. R.I.P.

Am I correct in thinking that Salford and Huddersfield are due to meet this weekend in the super league? I wonder if the game will be postponed as a mark of respect to Ronan.

Word is that there will be a round of applause in the 17th minute at all RL weekend fixtures.

John Bateman hit with a £10k fine and an 8 week ban by Wigan!

Anderson and his assistant Purtill sacked by the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    Word is that there will be a round of applause in the 17th minute at all RL weekend fixtures.
    I am watching the game at Warrington, and there was not a round of applause.

A minute of applause for Ronan Costello before kick off between Hunslet and Coventry. I guess it was easier to arrange this than on 17 minutes?