Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wolves 0 - Blackburn 0 - going for a new record verdict thread

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Maybe neither of them are scapegoats and people just don't like midfielders with absolutely zero technical ability?
    They're scapegoats Dan. I already know what I'm gonna read before I read it, when it comes to certain players.
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

I tend to agree, it was Doherty not long ago, he was labelled with the awful footballer tag, that's gone away now, I'd like to see the same with Coady as I don't believe he's that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Maybe neither of them are scapegoats and people just don't like midfielders with absolutely zero technical ability?
    Absolutely. It's beyond me how anybody can get excited about bang average championship players. I'd include Doherty in there too, only he does have decent technical ability, he's just a very poor defender.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    With Doherty I'm starting to think it's mainly his attitude. The key difference at the moment is he is closing the winger down far quicker and being more pro active, whereas before he would just let them cross the ball in, leading to a lot of goals conceded. I hope he can continue these improvements but we will see.

I don't get why we have to like or aren't allowed to criticise Coady and Edwards for having poor technical ability? When they play well, people will say. But the majority of the time they just run around aimlessly and hardly influence the game.

I guess some of us who know fuck all about the game are suckers for a crap player.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    I think Stu's point is more a certain players get given a shit rating regardless of their performance on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    Absolutely. It's beyond me how anybody can get excited about bang average championship players. I'd include Doherty in there too, only he does have decent technical ability, he's just a very poor defender.
    Who is getting excited Johnny?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I think Stu's point is more a certain players get given a shit rating regardless of their performance on the day.
    Precisely.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    With Doherty I'm starting to think it's mainly his attitude. The key difference at the moment is he is closing the winger down far quicker and being more pro active, whereas before he would just let them cross the ball in, leading to a lot of goals conceded. I hope he can continue these improvements but we will see.

I don't get why we have to like or aren't allowed to criticise Coady and Edwards for having poor technical ability? When they play well, people will say. But the majority of the time they just run around aimlessly and hardly influence the game.
    I'm saying people will slate them regardless of how they played. Scapegoating.

I think my support for perceived poor players stems from when I was a kid, we had a player called John Holsgrove who was seen as the likes of Edwards, Coady and Docherty are seen now.
    I was returning from an away game (late sixties) I was only about 14, coach stopped at the services on the Motorway and the Team were also there and I had a good chat with him telling him that 'I don't think you're that bad' as you do when you're a kid.
    Anyway, that support for the frowned upon has stayed with me all my life.

There are only so many different ways I can describe Coady's lack of ability to control a ball tbf. Plenty of effort, no talent. He'd have been alright for 200k, not ten times that.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

I saw plenty of people giving Coady plaudits on here for a good performance. He just hasn't performed well often.

The whole scapegoating thing is a bit of a myth IMO. This is generally a very fair forum and players usually get a shit rating because they deserve it.

We all scapegoat, I do its with Batth. I try to be fair, and I don't think some on here and further afield are necessarily fair to certain players.

Speak for yourself

I know where you're coming from though. I do feel a propensity to criticise the players I don't like more severely but more often than not there's a justification to it i.e said player isn't good enough or he simply isn't giving 100%.

I just don't think people post on here with the intention to 'scapegoat' a player. I think it's an over-used term that doesn't really serve much of a purpose.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by ROVERT47 View Post
    I tend to agree, it was Doherty not long ago, he was labelled with the awful footballer tag, that's gone away now, I'd like to see the same with Coady as I don't believe he's that bad.
    That's probably because Doherty has improved immeasurably recently.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    Quote Originally Posted by North West Wanderer View Post
    We all scapegoat, I do its with Batth. I try to be fair, and I don't think some on here and further afield are necessarily fair to certain players.
    But Doherty (or SuperDoc as me and my family are calling him lately) is a perfect example of this not being true. People who have previously slated him have been giving him excellent ratings from games because he has been excellent.

But Doherty (or SuperDoc as me and my family are calling him lately) is a perfect example of this not being true. People who have previously slated him have been giving him excellent ratings from games because he has been excellent.
    It's one example, it isn't proof that it doesn't happen.

Holsgrove was no Bobby Moore or Beckenbauer, but he was a consistant unsung hero in that wolves back four.
    "Never enter into a battle of wits, with an unarmed man"

Quote Originally Posted by pavlosmacwolf View Post
    Holsgrove was no Bobby Moore or Beckenbauer, but he was a consistant unsung hero in that wolves back four.
    Holsgrove was ok at defending, but his distribution was awful, and he usually had a howler in him just waiting to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    Holsgrove was ok at defending, but his distribution was awful, and he usually had a howler in him just waiting to come out.
    Yes frank, but ball playing centre halves back in those days were rarer than rocking horse shit, and he was monster at slapping in a firmer than necessary tackle.

Yes frank, but ball playing centre halves back in those days were rarer than rocking horse shit, and he was monster at slapping in a firmer than necessary tackle.
    Wolves had an excellent ball playing centre half back then. Now what was his name...?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    Wolves had an excellent ball playing centre half back then. Now what was his name...?
    Hank Mungo???............. something like that anyway.

Hank Mungo???............. something like that anyway.
    Wish we had a player called Hank Mungo - brilliant name

As to scapegoating - really not sure thats whats going on. If a player continually puts in weak performances he gets called out for it, particularly if he keeps getting picked over someone who has shown better quality previously.

Doherty has been a whipping boy at times quite fairly due to how he performed - of late he has improved and has seemingly (at least in the short term) eliminated much of the worst traits & is not now being lambasted. If he can keep this level up then he will not be criticised, if he doesn't & reverts to previous levels he will.

No reason that any other player cannot aspire to that, though the performances have to improve to get that accolade
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

I just don't understand why someone who pays a not inconsiderable amount of cash to watch Wolves isn't entitled to an opinion, right or wrong.

if your paying for his ticket , it's still his opinion, and remember footie is a piece of piss when your arse is glued to a chair, or the bar stool.

Ha, same as it always was.

Ha, same as it always was.
    Opinions especially fromm footie fans are like arseholes, everyone has..........yes you know what i mean.

I think the emergence can be partly attributed to the dull negative midfield KJ has employed in front of them. It is very very functional but this means we have no creativity going forward. Coady and Saville are very good at what they are being asked to do. Dave Edwards was very good at what he was asked to do. Meanwhile our best midfielder (who can control and pass a football ) has been bombed out and is on his bike by the look of it. The whole team was very functional yesterday but like previous weeks didn't look like it would score in a brothel. Although we have clean sheets our defence is still ultimately not good enough.

More aimed at Holsgrove really, the more criticism our players have received the more they've received my support.

More aimed at Holsgrove really, the more criticism our players have received the more they've received my support.
    Even Alan Boswell...

There's always one exception.