Page 1 of 530 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 15885

Thread: REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    64,053

    REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

    Right

    Purdah ends when the polls shut in twenty minutes. We won't re-open the old thread as there is so much circular bitchiness on there. This is the new place for your referendum discussion. Please bear in mind this is your "after-result" discussion so please don't dredge up the old arguments.

    And play nicely. This thread will be watched and misbehaviour from posters on either side of whatever the result turns out to be will be looked upon gravely.
    I'm looking California

    I'm feeling Minnesota

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,606
    Can anyone explain why there's no exit poll?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    64,053
    None of the TV companies seem to have commissioned one. Very odd.

    Farage has said he thinks remain have "sneaked it", so someone has an exit poll somewhere.
    I'm looking California

    I'm feeling Minnesota

  4. #4
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Bit on the shaggies View Post
    Can anyone explain why there's no exit poll?
    According to the BBC it's all to do with comparing with historic results and because how the result is counted (every vote counts and not done per area like an GE).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Shifnal
    Posts
    8,847
    It'll be remain I'm 99% convinced of it I'd be amazed if I wake up at 0630 and find it going the other way.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    19,814
    No exit poll as nothing to compare it with as last vote was 41 yrs ago & a very different animal being voted on
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    19,814
    Whatever the outcome will be interesting to see how the Conservatives put themselves back together (if they can) after the divisions created over the last 2 months
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    64,053
    Its odd isn't it.

    First past the post but all one BIG constituency of 42 million voters.
    I'm looking California

    I'm feeling Minnesota

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    64,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Whatever the outcome will be interesting to see how the Conservatives put themselves back together (if they can) after the divisions created over the last 2 months
    Whatever the result that will be difficult to reconcile. Clearly some irreparable divisions. Not sure how the party will deal with it.

    Huge turnout. Pleased about that.
    I'm looking California

    I'm feeling Minnesota

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,881
    I sincerely hope this is the end for Farage in British politics.

    - Seven attempts at getting himself into Parliament. Seven failures.

    - One seat won for UKIP at the last General Election, a bloke who has been sitting there for years as a Conservative and would have got in on local issues (because he is an excellent constituency MP) regardless of which party he was affiliated to

    - Promised to quit the UKIP leadership if he failed to get elected in South Thanet. U-turned on that after about two days

    - Losing this referendum despite having the benefit of an ill-informed public with pockets of rampant xenophobia in his favour, plus a Remain campaign more tepid than a badly cooked half time pie at the football, led by a lame duck PM and underpinned by an ever more unpopular Government

    We have no place in our politics for someone who plays on division, fear, outrageous statements that push the boundaries of racism to the absolute limit (if you're being kind), a proven failure who lies habitually and has no time for facts, reason, logic or decency. He's a sham of a politician, I hope this is good riddance as there is no value in a UKIP vote ever again. There won't be another referendum. They have no domestic credibility. Time up.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    19,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Huge turnout. Pleased about that.
    Good that most have taken the trouble to get out there - no reason to doubt the validity of whatever the outcome is
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    According to the BBC it's all to do with comparing with historic results and because how the result is counted (every vote counts and not done per area like an GE).
    Ah yes, that rings a bell. Exit polls are small samples taken in areas that historically have similar results to the national vote.

    I read over here though that banks have paid consultants to poll people leaving polling stations in order to better speculate on the pound. Don't know how much truth there is in that though.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    33,025
    Do Gibraltar vote in a general election?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wombourne
    Posts
    6,408
    I think both sides have conducted themselves extremely poorly.
    Remain to win 52/48 according to Yougov
    "I know I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing."

  15. #15
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42,445
    City Traders think it's a win for Remain.

    If not a lot of Traders are going to be hurting tomorrow morn

  16. #16
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    52,607
    My TV is in danger until that rodent face cuntasaurus IDS leaves.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    64,053
    It is almost certainly true. I haven't seen confirmation but I would be surprised if the City didn't get as much information as possible because tomorrow's currency markets could be anarchic.
    I'm looking California

    I'm feeling Minnesota

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ynyshir
    Posts
    7,755
    Wonder if UKIP will accept Farage's resignation this time?

  19. #19
    Langers's Avatar
    Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stourbridge
    Posts
    52,607
    I do love the Tyne/Wear counting battle.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ynyshir
    Posts
    7,755
    Meanwhile, if it's a win for the leave camp, I'll likely need to find a new profession :/

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    19,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I sincerely hope this is the end for Farage in British politics.

    - Seven attempts at getting himself into Parliament. Seven failures.

    - One seat won for UKIP at the last General Election, a bloke who has been sitting there for years as a Conservative and would have got in on local issues (because he is an excellent constituency MP) regardless of which party he was affiliated to

    - Promised to quit the UKIP leadership if he failed to get elected in South Thanet. U-turned on that after about two days

    - Losing this referendum despite having the benefit of an ill-informed public with pockets of rampant xenophobia in his favour, plus a Remain campaign more tepid than a badly cooked half time pie at the football, led by a lame duck PM and underpinned by an ever more unpopular Government

    We have no place in our politics for someone who plays on division, fear, outrageous statements that push the boundaries of racism to the absolute limit (if you're being kind), a proven failure who lies habitually and has no time for facts, reason, logic or decency. He's a sham of a politician, I hope this is good riddance as there is no value in a UKIP vote ever again. There won't be another referendum. They have no domestic credibility. Time up.
    I'm no apologist for the man, but not sure that is relevant.

    Whatever you think of his politics he has at least been consistent over this issue which is more than many others in the public eye have
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bilbrook
    Posts
    86,881
    I'm not sure being a consistent xenophobe is any better than being an intermittent xenophobe.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

    http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

  23. #23
    machin05's Avatar
    machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    33,018
    Strongest week for the pound for 30 years suggests private polls indicate a remain win.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15,384
    I think there will be a lot of votes like me today.

    Have been on the fence trying to decide what to do. Having seen benefits on both sides of the argument in the end I went for remain as the unknown of leave is a much bigger gamble.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pendeford
    Posts
    64,053
    Whatever one thinks about Farage this could be the deathknell for UKIP really.

    If there is a leave vote then UKIP has got what it wants, so what do they campaign about in the next electoral cycle?

    If remain, then their one main issue has been decided upon and the electorate has found them wanting.
    I'm looking California

    I'm feeling Minnesota

  26. #26
    Kenny's Avatar
    Kenny is online now Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    42,445
    I take it Sky have nabbed all the political guests and the BBC are stuck with IDS.

  27. #27
    machin05's Avatar
    machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    33,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I take it Sky have nabbed all the political guests and the BBC are stuck with IDS.
    And Nicky fucking Morgan.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Norwich, UK
    Posts
    7,190
    Will be really interesting if England votes Leave with a majority and we stay in because Scotland is so solidly remain...

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    19,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I'm not sure being a consistent xenophobe is any better than being an intermittent xenophobe.
    Xenopobe or not at least he has always held a consistent line which is more than many have done (on both sides) some of whom have changed their view to fit how much power/influence or votes it might generate for them.

    Agree that he is over whatever happens as the decision will have been made & he will be surplus to requirement
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Whatever one thinks about Farage this could be the deathknell for UKIP really.

    If there is a leave vote then UKIP has got what it wants, so what do they campaign about in the next electoral cycle?

    If remain, then their one main issue has been decided upon and the electorate has found them wanting.
    Don't be so sure, they might just rebrand themselves as a right-wing alternative to the Tories. They wouldn't have much difficulty in finding sympathisers to their cause.

Similar Threads

  1. Skyrim Discussion Thread
    By Hereford Wolf in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 1490
    Last Post: 23rd May 2018, 10:19 AM
  2. Replies: 829
    Last Post: 3rd May 2014, 12:57 AM
  3. The X-Factor/Reality TV discussion thread
    By Kenny in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 7th January 2013, 12:49 PM
  4. Jet Set Willy 2 discussion thread
    By Quirkafleeg in forum General Chatter
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd January 2012, 04:22 PM
  5. Formation Discussion Thread
    By Penk Wolf in forum Other Sport
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 13th June 2011, 09:50 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •