Page 11 of 513 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Outsider is Patel. She backed the right horse and is a new face not tainted by any old battles.
    She is awful. Paddy is a Conservative and he was scathing about her on a Question Time appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolemai View Post
    It's a ten year's supply of salad cream.
    Priorities, huh...
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Resigning is pretty much the only thing that he can do. His credibility is destroyed. As is that of Osbourne. Hand over the keys to a Brexit campaigner at the Conservative conference after a leadership campaign and then that leader can start the two years ticking. A three month delay while the interregnum is sorted out really doesn't change things too much whereas a snap change of Prime Ministerial post holder could be a real hole below the waterline.

Labour will surely try and oust Corbyn now and set themselves up as in some way electable if a quick election were called after the leadership changes.

Well, it certainly isn't a dull time to be around.

The most important thing that politicians (and indeed the British electorate in general) need to recognise is that Brexit has a mandate. However tight. We have crossed the rubicon and there is no going back so it is imperative that everything is done to make this dramatic change to our political landscape as smooth and painless as possible so that the huge losses seen today end up being only a short to mid-term effect. Not entirely sure how successful we will be with that, but it simply must be the aim.

Waking up this morning it was like hitting my thumb with a hammer and I was still in the shouting "Owwww" stage. I have now progressed to the dull painful ache stage but it will get better. And now we have to make sure that the way this decision of the British people is implemented is in such a way that those who voted for it are seeing their wish enacted, while the 49% who didn't are not alienated. A tough balance, but hopefully achievable with careful thought and planning and sympathetic implementation.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    She is awful. Paddy is a Conservative and he was scathing about her on a Question Time appearance.
    Hope not - borderline psychotic
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Hope not - borderline psychotic
    Perfect for the job then...

Labour back benchers expected to start a Vote of no Confidence in Corbyn. They have been waiting for the opportunity to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    The Article 50 was part of the idea that it frighten people into thinking "that would be too quick and dangerous, better vote remain"...downside to that is not a lot of people will know or care what Article 50 is.

Not invoking it right now is probably the best decision (after quitting) he has made in months.

So take your pick - Gove, Johnson, May or Osbourne. Unless the Conservatives have a hidden gem it will be a grim period until the next election
    The EU will put massive pressure on the UK to trigger article 50 - the feeling is "you want out, get the hell out"

Corbyn is pretty much toast. So will Labour lurch back toward the centre to reclaim the ground as it seems certain the Conservatives are going to lurch to the hard right?

One last thing - Douglas Carswell. I may not agree with him on a myriad of points but what a thoroughly decent man and politician he came over as. No crowing in victory, and very balanced in the way he presented his views.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOfTheAlps View Post
    The EU will put massive pressure on the UK to trigger article 50 - the feeling is "you want out, get the hell out"
    Yes. To which the answer is - "we don't have a permanent Prime Minister just now - but as soon as we do we will get straight onto that". A three month delay is really not a huge amount of time.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Guessing this knock to the economy is likely to have a negative effect on banks lending and such like? At least until it starts to level itself out.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

You have to say , the Tory far right have played a blinder. Engineered a situation whereby they can utilise the anger and resentment of the working class caused by their own policies as a means to securing yet more powerful influence for themselves, and receiving licence to inflict more damage on those same people. Brilliant really.

The turkey I'm fattening up for Christmas is giving me a knowing look.

And now we have to make sure that the way this decision of the British people is implemented is in such a way that those who voted for it are seeing their wish enacted, while the 49% who didn't are not alienated. A tough balance, but hopefully achievable with careful thought and planning and sympathetic implementation.
    48% Paddy
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

The most disappointing thing to me is the view that anyone who voted leave was either, uneducated, poor or a bigot. This is just wrong, millions of people have voted to leave the EU, and for a variety of reasons. And yes, immigration is one of those reasons. Being concerned about immigration does not make millions of people racists.

Regarding the prime Minister, he probably would have left office within a year or so anyway, but having lost the referendum he is doing the right thing and resigning. And given how out of touch the Labour Party were with their voters, maybe their leader will also consider his future. But political leaders come and go, the country has made its choice, and people must accept that and work together for the benefit of the Britain.

Yes. To which the answer is - "we don't have a permanent Prime Minister just now - but as soon as we do we will get straight onto that". A three month delay is really not a huge amount of time.
    It won't be the 4 years Gove and the blond gorilla want though

That's true Frank, but if you took the uneducated bigot vote out of leave then it would be less than 50%.

Anyway what's done is done, I hope we can go back to being one country (minus Scotland) and think less about ourselves and more about the best for the UK and the rest of the world in general. I don't want to live in a country which is not tolerant of people with different views, accents or skin colour

Well, if one of Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, etc. decide they don't want to plug the 350m (or whatever the net is) gap and decides to come out we will be in a very strong position as the first country to exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolemai View Post
    It's a ten year's supply of salad cream.
    Bingo! Herr Deutsch's Salad Sahne.

Nah I've just bought an Audi so it's car stuff. Cheaper to import from Germany myself than buy from in this country.

Good to hear it doesn't happen for two years. At least gives us time to adjust and prepare.
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Really???
    No not really obviously. Though I care about politics about as much as I care about the soil industry.

Da fuq is the soil industry?!
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Theresa May by keeping a low profile during the debate has positioned herself perfectly to become the next Prime Minister. God help us.
    In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    Da fuq is the soil industry?!
    Dunno. I was trying to think about something immensely dull. Garden Centre soil I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOfTheAlps View Post
    It won't be the 4 years Gove and the blond gorilla want though
    I agree - that seems to be a little unrealistic on their part. 2 years from October is probably achievable but with a bit of pain. I see no point in trying to tie the timetable to a general election that might or might not happen in 2020.

Darlo - I stand corrected - it is 48.1%! Rounding was clearly never a strong point for me.

Frank - a very interesting point you raise. And it shows the inherently dirty campaign in the worst light. This has to be a time of reconciliation or we are going to find it progressively more difficult to implement the things that now need to happen to reflect the views of the electorate. Calling each other names in the aftermath achieves nothing.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
    No not really obviously. Though I care about politics about as much as I care about the soil industry.
    I don't really care about politics as such, but I do now fear for the future of our NHS, public services, and everything else the likes of Gove and Johnson want to get their grubby little mits on. I also care about prejudice and creating divisions in society, which judging by the reaction on FB from the leavers in my age group is only going to get worse.

I put that ahead of the price of importing car parts, and the price of craft beer. Just. Maybe not beer.

While all that is lovely, as was the earlier one splitting it by voter age, they don't change the overall position really. We have voted to come out. Let the electoral analysts paw over such data, it doesn't change one jot what has happened. Decision done. The job now is finding a way to implement it without getting riots in London and instant independence movements from Scotland and also possibly Northern Ireland. Scotland will come, of that I am sure, but we need to encourage them to take a waiting brief and then disconnect when the two year Article 50 period is done should that be the plan. No point in them coming out and then going back in.

Christ knows what they are going to do currency-wise though if they secede.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Fucking great:

The London Economic
    ‏@LondonEconomic
    The UK is no longer the world's 5th largest economy. The has fallen so far that France has overtaken us. #EUref

You couldn't make this up. Talk about bad losers..

Eh? I am trying to be as reconciliatory as I can.

How you win says a lot more about you as a person than how you lose. You might want to think about that.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Don't worry - at least the NHS is safe with all this guaranteed money going there.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by thehistorymakers View Post
    You couldn't make this up. Talk about bad losers..
    I think people who thought it was the wrong decision yesterday will still think it's the wrong decision today and are entitled to say so. Just as you are entitled to feel pleased that a majority voted in your direction and talk about that.

Much like after the general election, the winning side doesn't get a free pass from criticism and analysis just by virtue of winning.

Apparently Farage has said: "And we did this w/o firing a single bullet!"

WTF??! Distasteful cuntrag.