Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2017 General Election Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    I don't actually think many views have changed on the EU in the last nine months - they've become more polarised if anything. Leavers want us to just get on with it and have talked themselves into a mindset where it's definitely going to work out despite all the available evidence, Remainers are more entrenched that it's a terrible idea all round.

It should be a really easy task to trash the Tories on the NHS and the economy.
    "Should" being the key word there.

Quote Originally Posted by So Long Architect View Post
    I don't disagree but I don't think he ever had the same sort of personal following that would make a comeback successful, unlike Thatcher who could probably start up a rival Tory party from the grave and win.

I'm not sure how big Brexit will play in people's minds in the election. How many Remainers are now resigned to the country's fate and will vote based on the "normal" domestic issues? I'd probably put myself in that camp - I think Brexit is an unholy disaster but is now inevitable. As such I think I'd rather the opposition parties targeted their fire on education, health, inequality, social justice and the environment.
    Interesting. Some voted for "Leave" as a fingers up to the political status quo. The electorate will be different also. Some who were exempt in the referendum can vote in the GE. Article 50 could be revoked if any party would be brave enough to pin it's colours to the mast. FPTP is going to be a different story.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Be under no illusion, this is a second referendum on the EU. That is the agenda that May has set out and will be the headline in most of the media for the next 50 days. Debate about the NHS, social care, education - traditionally strong Labour areas - will be scant leading to the inevitable criticisms of Corbyn being ineffective. All Labour's recent policy announcements will play second fiddle to Brexit, immigration and the economy.

I doubt the outcome will be a 3 figure majority for the Conservatives. The Lib Dems will take seats of the Conservatives and Labour won't lose 40 odd seats to the Tories.

This election is about dealing with the Tory backbenches and pushing back a post Brexit election in 2020
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by The Saturday Boy View Post
    Be under no illusion, this is a second referendum on the EU.
    Only for people who can't accept that they lost in the EU referendum. I will vote for Corbyn, as I believe more in his vision for the UK outside of the EU, than I do of any other parties.

https://www.channel4.com/news/by/gar...ates-this-time

Channel 4 says Downing Street has already squashed the idea of any TV debates ahead of the 8 June election.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Channel 4 says Downing Street has already squashed the idea of any TV debates ahead of the 8 June election.
    Of course they will, May is an absolutely dismal speaker. You can bluff your way through that kind of thing if you're D-Cam but she can't.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by thehistorymakers View Post
    Only for people who can't accept that they lost in the EU referendum.
    "Last summer, after the country voted to leave the European Union, Britain needed certainty, stability and strong leadership, and since I became prime minister the government has delivered precisely that.
    "Despite predictions of immediate financial and economic danger, since the referendum we have seen consumer confidence remain high, record numbers of jobs, and economic growth that has exceeded all expectations.
    "We have also delivered on the mandate that we were handed by the referendum result. Britain is leaving the European Union and there can be no turning back.
    "And as we look to the future, the Government has the right plan for negotiating our new relationship with Europe.
    "We want a deep and special partnership between a strong and successful European Union and a United Kingdom that is free to chart its own way in the world.
    "That means we will regain control of our own money, our own laws and our own borders and we will be free to strike trade deals with old friends and new partners all around the world.
    "This is the right approach, and it is in the national interest. But the other political parties oppose it.
    "At this moment of enormous national significance there should be unity here in Westminster, but instead there is division. The country is coming together, but Westminster is not.
    "In recent weeks Labour has threatened to vote against the final agreement we reach with the European Union. The Liberal Democrats have said they want to grind the business of government to a standstill.
    "The Scottish National Party say they will vote against the legislation that formally repeals Britain's membership of the European Union. And unelected members of the House of Lords have vowed to fight us every step of the way.
    "Our opponents believe because the government's majority is so small, that our resolve will weaken and that they can force us to change course. They are wrong.
    "They underestimate our determination to get the job done and I am not prepared to let them endanger the security of millions of working people across the country.
    "Because what they are doing jeopardises the work we must do to prepare for Brexit at home and it weakens the government's negotiating position in Europe.
    "If we do not hold a general election now their political game-playing will continue, and the negotiations with the European Union will reach their most difficult stage in the run-up to the next scheduled election.
    "Division in Westminster will risk our ability to make a success of Brexit and it will cause damaging uncertainty and instability to the country.
    "So we need a general election and we need one now, because we have at this moment a one-off chance to get this done while the European Union agrees its negotiating position and before the detailed talks begin.
    "I have only recently and reluctantly come to this conclusion. Since I became prime minister I have said that there should be no election until 2020, but now I have concluded that the only way to guarantee certainty and stability for the years ahead is to hold this election and seek your support for the decisions I must take.
    "And so tomorrow I will move a motion in the House of Commons calling for a general election to be held on 8 June. That motion, as set out by the Fixed-Term Parliaments Act, will require a two-thirds majority of the House of Commons.
    "So I have a simple challenge to the opposition parties, you have criticised the government's vision for Brexit, you have challenged our objectives, you have threatened to block the legislation we put before Parliament.
    "This is your moment to show you mean it, to show you are not opposing the government for the sake of it, to show that you do not treat politics as a game.
    "Let us tomorrow vote for an election, let us put forward our plans for Brexit and our alternative programmes for government and then let the people decide.
    "And the decision facing the country will be all about leadership. It will be a choice between strong and stable leadership in the national interest, with me as your prime minister, or weak and unstable coalition government, led by Jeremy Corbyn, propped up by the Liberal Democrats, who want to reopen the divisions of the referendum, and Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP.
    "Every vote for the Conservatives will make it harder for opposition politicians who want to stop me from getting the job done.
    "Every vote for the Conservatives will make me stronger when I negotiate for Britain with the prime ministers, presidents and chancellors of the European Union.
    "Every vote for the Conservatives means we can stick to our plan for a stronger Britain and take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future.
    "It was with reluctance that I decided the country needs this election, but it is with strong conviction that I say it is necessary to secure the strong and stable leadership the country needs to see us through Brexit and beyond.
    "So, tomorrow, let the House of Commons vote for an election, let everybody put forward their proposals for Brexit and their programmes for government, and let us remove the risk of uncertainty and instability and continue to give the country the strong and stable leadership it demands."

Judging by her speech earlier I'd say there is a strong hint from the Prime Minister about where her battle lines are.

Indeed. The Tory campaign will be about Brexit and will hide the underhand policies that they will introduce.

It's less than two years since lower middle-class voters went with the Tories largely out of personal avarice, then found a month or so later that in actual fact they too were going to be part of the benefit cuts regime, only for the Lords to save them.

Will they have learned their lesson? Of course not.

Twitter
    Facebook

She is obviously after the UKIP vote, but it doesn't mean that everyone who votes, does so about Brexit. We voted to leave the EU, as you know I nailed my colours to leave. I now want a decent caring government after we leave the EU, that is why I will vote for Corbyn. I won't vote for a party that takes the banks economic failings out on the poor and I won't vote for an opportunistic party, who did the dirty on their voters and went to bed with the Conservative party.
    I will vote for the future of the UK and a more just society outside the EU, that is why I will vote for Corbyn. He stands by his principals, accepts democratic results and I fucking hate Tony Blair!!!

I just hope that June 8 means the end of May.

Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    Indeed. The Tory campaign will be about Brexit and will hide the underhand policies that they will introduce.
    2nd time in 5 years I have agreed with you.

Quote Originally Posted by thehistorymakers View Post
    2nd time in 5 years I have agreed with you.
    I couldn't care less.

As we know, better that thousands suffer than one person get away with playing the system, even though that person will always get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    https://www.channel4.com/news/by/gar...ates-this-time

I wonder if they will "empty chair" the Tories? Or will the largely Tory owned media just let this lie not wishing to rock the boat. It's a shame because as DW says the TV debates would show May up for what she is.

There quite simply won't be any debates. They have killed the idea stone dead at the start of the piece.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Email that's gone out to Tory supporters (of course, I've been sent this second hand as they aren't polluting my inbox). Let's play Bullshit Bingo, shall we?

The Prime Minister has just announced that a General Election will be held on 8 June - and that we will shortly take the necessary steps in Parliament to ensure that this can happen.

We need this election now to secure the strong and stable leadership the country needs to see us through Brexit and beyond.
    Stable how? This is a General Election two years into a five year term. Under your watch.

Every vote cast for Theresa May and the Conservatives will strengthen Britain’s hand in the Brexit negotiations.
    How? Explain. Theresa May is in power now, until 2020. It makes no difference in the negotiations whether she has a majority of 16 or 160.

We will stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain and take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future.
    Why is "Plan" capitalised? Meaningless soundbite anyway.

The choice is between strong and stable leadership in the national interest with Theresa May and the Conservatives – or weak and unstable coalition government led by Jeremy Corbyn.
    I dunno, how weak and unstable was the Government between 2010 and 2015? You should know, you were the major partner in it.

We need an election because:

It will strengthen the Prime Minister’s negotiating hand in Europe. Division in Westminster, and the Government’s small majority, risks weakening your Government’s hand in its negotiations with Europe.
    Your small majority is your problem and as stated makes no difference. And politics does not work where you say jump and everyone else asks how high. Governments have stupid ideas that need shouting down sometimes, you know.

It is the only way to ensure we have strong leadership, certainty and stability. An election now will give the country stability and certainty for a full five years, not just up to the point at which we leave the European Union but beyond it too.
    How do we know it'll last five years? Why aren't you showing "strong leadership, certainty and stability" right now?

We have a one-off chance to hold an election while the European Union agrees its negotiating position and before the detailed talks begin. This decision cannot be delayed and needs to happen now. That is the only way to end the uncertainty the other parties are causing.

If we don’t have an election, we will have uncertainty and instability. The negotiations will reach their most difficult stage in the run-up to the next scheduled General Election. Division in Westminster will risk our ability to make a success of Brexit and cause uncertainty and instability.
    As Chandler Bing might say, could you be any more repetitive?

We have the right plan for negotiating with Europe. The Government will negotiate a deep and special partnership between a strong and successful European Union and a United Kingdom that is free to chart its own way in the world. That means we will regain control of our own money, our own laws, and our own borders – and we will be free to strike trade deals with old friends and new partners all around the world. The result will be a more secure future for our country and a better deal for you.
    Ok, details then please. And not along D-Cam's line of "we're making 12bn worth of cuts, we'll tell you what they are when you vote for us".

But our plan is opposed by the other parties. The country is coming together, but Westminster is still divided. In recent weeks, Labour have threatened to vote against the final agreement we reach with the European Union. The Liberal Democrats have said they want to “grind” the business of government “to a standstill”. The Scottish National Party say they will vote against the legislation that formally repeals Britain’s membership of the European Union. And unelected members of the House of Lords have vowed to fight us every step of the way. All the other parties are doing is playing political games and causing uncertainty about the future.
    Have the Lib Dems really said that? As for the rest, they oppose you. They're opposing you. Fucking well deal with it.

We will stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain. Only Theresa May has the plan and the proven leadership to deliver the right deal for Britain abroad and a better deal for ordinary, working people here at home.
    More meaningless blather and shoddy capitalisation.

We will stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain and:

Establish Britain as the strongest country in Europe, in economic growth and national security. We will negotiate a deep and special partnership with our European neighbours. We will strike export deals for British goods and services. And we will lead the world in preventing terrorism and fighting modern slavery.

Build a stronger economy that rewards people who work hard and creates secure and well-paid jobs. We will make sure there is growth and prosperity around the whole country.

Provide real opportunity for all. We will give everyone a chance to get on in life, by building enough affordable housing and making sure there is a good school place for every child.

Build a more secure and united nation by taking action against the extremists who try to divide our society and standing up to the separatists who want to break up our country.
    But we will also take the right long-term decisions for a more secure future. We will build on the good work we have done and stick to our Plan for a Stronger Britain. But, from the productivity of our economy to the need for a world-class system of social care, we will tackle head-on the long-term challenges we face as a country.
    Content = zero.

Theresa May is a strong leader who puts the national interest first and gets things done. When she became Prime Minister after the referendum, the priority was to provide economic certainty, a clear vision and strong leadership – and that’s what she delivered.
    I'll give whoever wrote it this, they have a gift for comedy.

She has also delivered on the mandate from the referendum, and begun the process through which Britain will leave the EU. Now she needs your support to lead Britain through the next five years and give the country the certainty and stability we all need.
    Well she doesn't need it, does she. You're repeating yourself again.

ou can only get the strong leadership the country needs by voting for Theresa May and your local Conservative candidate. A vote for any other party risks Jeremy Corbyn as Prime Minister, propped up in coalition by Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP, and the Liberal Democrats who just want to re-open the divisions of the referendum.
    Scare tactics on day one, nice.

The choice facing the country at this election is all about leadership. The choice in this election is strong and stable leadership in the national interest with Theresa May and the Conservatives – or weak and unstable coalition government, led by Jeremy Corbyn.
    You already said that.

Patrick

Patrick McLoughlin
    Fuck off Patrick.

Twitter
    Facebook

They really are full of shit.

All we've heard since the referendum is how they will take tough line in negotiations and won't show weakness, yet now they've decided that if we don't have a GE it will weaken our hand in negotiations. It's almost as if they don't know what the fuck they are talking about, or they change their minds more than their socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    So on the same token I wouldn't be voting for May if I voted for Conservatives then?
    Quite right Penk but you would be supporting their continued manifesto...
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

I'll be voting Labour. Only they or the Lib Dems can win by me and it will be a long time before I vote Lib Dem again. If ever.

I'd like to see an electoral pact between Labour, SNP and Green but that obviously won't happen.

No surprise May has ducked the TV debates - she'd get absolutely battered. I hope the broadcasters have more balls this time and empty chair her.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    Quite right Penk but you would be supporting their continued manifesto...
    Theoretically we vote for individuals but realistically we vote for the Party and their message is driven by the Leader. Otherwise we'd just have 650 Independent MPs, all working for their constituency and nothing else.

So like it or lump it, Labour candidates are going to be essentially pitching for Jeremy Corbyn, it's naive to think otherwise.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    I'll be voting Labour. Only they or the Lib Dems can win by me and it will be a long time before I vote Lib Dem again. If ever.

I'd like to see an electoral pact between Labour, SNP and Green but that obviously won't happen.

No surprise May has ducked the TV debates - she'd get absolutely battered. I hope the broadcasters have more balls this time and empty chair her.
    I think that there quite simply will be no debates at all.

Corbyn wouldn't be that much cop judging by PMQs. There would be no Farage this time, but you would get the joy of Nuttall. Farron would probably be up for it I guess.

I just dont think there is much of a need for American-style beauty parade debates anyway. Never been a fan of them personally.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Lest we forget that May only came to power because the Brexiteers couldn't be trusted to play nicely and her only competition was Andrea Leadsom, who is about as credible a leadership candidate as Glen Crowe is a Golden Boot winner. In 2015, very, very few people would ever have picked her out as a potential PM, she was a dire speaker then too. People would warm even less to her if they knew her record and what she's tried to implement in the past, fortunately for her people on the whole don't care about politics that much. So Tory HQ will hide her away as much as possible, you don't want her speaking, or answering questions, just rely on the fact that people instinctively trust her way more than Corbyn and let the Daily Mail do the rest.

She's a very strange individual with some abhorrent views and she can't articulate simple answers to simple questions, they'd be mad to let her on a debate platform.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Theoretically we vote for individuals but realistically we vote for the Party and their message is driven by the Leader. Otherwise we'd just have 650 Independent MPs, all working for their constituency and nothing else.

So like it or lump it, Labour candidates are going to be essentially pitching for Jeremy Corbyn, it's naive to think otherwise.
    One Labour MP is reported to have said there will be no mention of Corbyn on his election material as there'll be more than enough in the Tories'! A lot of Labour MPs will try to keep Corbyn out of discussions as they know he is toxic to a lot of voters.

Labour falling apart like a slow roasted joint before we've even got going. Tom Blenkinsop and Alan Johnson both refuse to contest their seats.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

My constituency is the second closest marginal in the country. If the election was 2020 boundary changes would have sent it from a 41 seat majority Tory majority to about 11k Labour. If that had gone through and I had the same options as last time (obvious 4 and a couple of weirdo's) I'd have probably gone LD, as it is it'll have to be Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    Labour falling apart like a slow roasted joint before we've even got going. Tom Blenkinsop and Alan Johnson both refuse to contest their seats.
    Nice.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

Blenkinsop has been openly critical of Corbyn. Johnson, who backed David Milliband, doesn't come asuch of a surprise. However it's good ammunition for the right wing media.

Probably Labour for me solely based on Emma Reynolds, she came through for us on a personal level a while ago so she deserves my vote in my eyes. I could be tempted by Lib Dems if I could be sure it was nothing more than a protest vote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    FFS, Booz, this high horse you're on lately is bewildering.

Quote Originally Posted by leedswolf View Post
    Blenkinsop has been openly critical of Corbyn. Johnson, who backed David Milliband, doesn't come asuch of a surprise. However it's good ammunition for the right wing media.
    What ammunition? This is about 2 MP's not supporting their leader which is a bad thing. The Labour Party are in open revolt so it will be interesting to see what happens post election with them.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.