Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2017 General Election Thread

The 2017 General Election Thread

Off to the polls we all go again...

Apparently Theresa can't deal with Opposition parties disagreeing with whatever pops into her head so we have to have an election. Even though legislation is supposed to prevent it. Even though she's ruled it out explicitly numerous times. Even though she called demands for a Scottish Independence referendum a "political game".

There's no real way the Tories don't win, sadly. The Lib Dems will probably take some of their traditional South West heartland back and they have a chance in and around London in hard Remain constituencies. They're going to go full on anti-Brexit. And good for them.

Even though this forum is, as we all know, stocked with Momentum members and rabid Corbynites, I doubt that many of us will be voting Labour.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    I have to vote labour really. Wolves SW is very marginal and has been back and forth between blue and red in past elections.

Should be some interesting manifesto pledges from the Lib Dems and Labour, you'd have thought.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Not sure where my vote will go, I do know it won't be in the Tory box though

As above with Machin, ideally I would not vote labour, but Stafford has mainly flipped between tories and labour. That said if the Polls show them having a chance in Stafford I will vote Lib Dem.
    )

The only way I could see myself voting for Labour is if it looks like it's going to be close, in which case I'd do what I could to try and make sure the Conservatives lost. That won't happen though. West Bromwich West is usually a nailed on Labour seat anyway. In all likelihood I'll vote Green again.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

YouGov poll this morning showing Tories with 21 point lead over labour

Never been a better chance to get rid of the Tories. Labour should be nailed on to win.............. oh wait.

Such a shame that Corbyn has turned out to be such a lame duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

My blind vote will go LibDems, but will need to listen to their manifesto, etc.

I'll vote Green again if they put a candidate up in South Staffs (I think they just about made their deposit back in 2015). Doesn't matter though as I imagine a bookie wouldn't even offer you odds of 1/10000 against the Tories winning. Outside the Home Counties it's one of the safest seats for them in the country.

Can't vote for Corbyn, sorry. Cannot endorse that just as I could not endorse Ed and Ed's AusterityLite pledges.

Twitter
    Facebook

It is really going to be a rerun of the Referendum. Hopefully the 48% who voted Remain can see that if this is the case a vote for the Libdems is the only logical vote. Corbyn is going to ensure Labour are deemed unelectable by a huge number of Remain voters so hopefully they can forget about Clegg and student fees and bring themselves to vote LD to exert some kind of control on the Tories.

I'll be voting Labour.

I'm hoping that some of the lost labour votes to UKIP return and save us from the annihilation that the polls suggest.

Some better news....

John Curtice, professor of politics at Strathclyde University says the average of all of the latest opinion polls had the Conservatives on 42% and Labour 27% - enough to give Theresa May a "quite substantial majority".

But he said that although Labour is in a "dire position" in the polls, many of their seats are safe ones.

He also pointed out that Mrs May's strategy of calling on the electorate to vote for her vision of Brexit could make "some Conservative voters unhappy".

Ideally would vote lib dem just for the anti Brexit ticket.

However I actually quite like Emma Reynolds as my MP so she might get my vote. No fucking way will ever vote Conservative again.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf Wolf View Post
    It is really going to be a rerun of the Referendum. Hopefully the 48% who voted Remain can see that if this is the case a vote for the Libdems is the only logical vote. Corbyn is going to ensure Labour are deemed unelectable by a huge number of Remain voters so hopefully they can forget about Clegg and student fees and bring themselves to vote LD to exert some kind of control on the Tories.
    Ordinarily Farron being a religious nut would play extremely poorly, but then May is the same so he'll get away with it.

If the world hadn't gone completely mental then really the Tories should take a severe kicking for seven years of economic illiteracy and vandalism, and creating the breeding ground for Brexit because they can't manage their own party. Won't happen though.

Twitter
    Facebook

John "I got the election AND the referendum completely fucking wrong" Curtice.

It's like asking Nathan Rao to present the weather.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

CORBYN.

I'm amazed an unscheduled general election is allowed when there is an active election fraud case been investigated. Unless the EC will scrutinise everything as it happens what prevents the same practices reoccurring.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilf Wolf View Post
    I think this is the way for me too.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    John "I got the election AND the referendum completely fucking wrong" Curtice.

It's like asking Nathan Rao to present the weather.
    Who, Professor John Curtice, who predicted a Conservative majority at the 2015 general election?

She must be super confident of winning easily to go BEFORE the boundary changes are in.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Who, Professor John Curtice, who predicted a Conservative majority at the 2015 general election?
    He predicted a hung parliament and said "don't believe the exit polls" on the day

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Even though I'm in an area that voted Remain, I can't see enough anger about that here to push people to voting Lib Dem in any great numbers. It'll be self-interest to the fore again and as a lot of people in my leafy bit of the world tend to do OK under the Tories, that's the way they'll vote.

So given that there's no realistic chance of unseating the Tories, I'll probably stick to voting Green as they're still the party most in line with my own views.

I will be in Portugal so will have to vote by post. Not that there's much point, I live in Bridgnorth which always returns Tory

I've moved into a different constituency since the last GE - currently live in a Labour seat that has been so since 1923.

Imagine I will vote LD but will have to see.

Different electorate as well. Some of those excluded in the referendum will be able to vote in GE. Tories looking to win on the coat-tails of Brexit as some vanguard to the cause that will carry the whim of the people against all those nasty politicians and unelected peers who want to hold government to account.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Is the E&S openly right wing?

The editor has just retweeted this:

"Oh Lord. Just realised. There are going to be a series of leaders' debates. Involving Jeremy Corbyn. There are no emojis for the awfulness."
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

As a trustee of an LGBT charity I can't really vote Lib Dem with their attitude on it, so I think it will be a labour vote from me.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    As a trustee of an LGBT charity I can't really vote Lib Dem with their attitude on it, so I think it will be a labour vote from me.
    Join the Green side Paddy!
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post

"Oh Lord. Just realised. There are going to be a series of leaders' debates. Involving Jeremy Corbyn. There are no emojis for the awfulness."
    Theresa May won't appear at them as she has it all to lose and nothing to gain.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Was only saying a few backs that i hoped May did this, not because I thought she had any chance of losing but to bring forward the change in the Opposition Leader. It really is a matter of 8 years of Conservatives with 3 years of Labour flapping around or 5 years with Labour having that full 5 to sort their shit out.

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post

Massively right wing