Page 2 of 88 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2017 General Election Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Massively right wing
    Is it an official political stance they have?
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Tory for me again

Quote Originally Posted by wombourne wolves View Post
    Tory for me again
    Interested in what you feel they've actually achieved in seven years.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Kept the riff-raff out of Wombourne...
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

What worries me is how well UKIP may end up doing, moderate tories may seriously look at switching to UKIP

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    As a trustee of an LGBT charity I can't really vote Lib Dem with their attitude on it, so I think it will be a labour vote from me.
    I bet you never, ever thought that you would type those words Paddy

People need to get over the "Corbyn factor". You aren't voting for Corbyn unless he is actually your MP. You are voting for someone to represent you and your area and stand up for your rights as a person. Sadly I have no chance of seeing a Labour candidate winning up here but I will be watching how the land lies and I will vote Lib if they have a chance of winning (they got close against Hague while ago).
    Wolves have ambition and wit... why is it such a crime?

Nah, UKIP are dead. Thankfully.

Probably not enough time for Banks/Farage to put their horrific version of a party together either.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by darlowolf64 View Post
    People need to get over the "Corbyn factor". You aren't voting for Corbyn unless he is actually your MP. You are voting for someone to represent you and your area and stand up for your rights as a person. Sadly I have no chance of seeing a Labour candidate winning up here but I will be watching how the land lies and I will vote Lib if they have a chance of winning (they got close against Hague while ago).
    Disagree, the Leader defines policy. Labour's stated position on Brexit mirrors Corbyn's views, not their MPs.

There are good local MPs who do excellent constituency work - Douglas Carswell is actually one of them, despite what I might think of his views on Europe - but it isn't the main consideration for most people. How much work does George Osborne do in Tatton? Bet he still gets in if he stands.

Twitter
    Facebook

Yep. The media says 'Corbyn is unelectable' ergo Corbyn isn't elected. I detest this fashionable attitude that we are voting for a specific individual. The vote is for what fits best with your beliefs.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Just a thought, if Blair hastily formed a party on a broadly anti-Brexit ticket, how do we think he'd do?

Twitter
    Facebook

I think Blair's too toxic now. His Iraq war legacy has obliterated any memory of his fairly decent domestic record for most people. Though I suspect a lot of those people shouting "war criminal" now were not so vocal at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Interested in what you feel they've actually achieved in seven years.
    I'll vote for them because I feel their stance on the issues that are important to me, Europe, immigration and defence, best mirror my own.
    I understand that it may go against the grain on here, but that's the way I feel. I also understand they have made fuck ups over their tenure, but in my view the others would have made more.

I'll vote for them because I feel their stance on the issues that are important to me, Europe, immigration and defence, best mirror my own.
    I understand that it may go against the grain on here, but that's the way I feel. I also understand they have made fuck ups over their tenure, but in my view the others would have made more.
    Two out of three ain't bad.
    Cosy consensus makes for a boring forum.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Kept the riff-raff out of Wombourne...
    They haven't, because I live their.

Don't worry about going against the grain, that's what debate is.

But what have they actually done in seven years? Let's say five tangible achievements.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by So Long Architect View Post
    I think Blair's too toxic now. His Iraq war legacy has obliterated any memory of his fairly decent domestic record for most people. Though I suspect a lot of those people shouting "war criminal" now were not so vocal at the time.
    No because at the time the effects of that war weren't as obvious as they are now, it was in fact the likes of Corbyn and Cook that predicted we'd end up with the situation we are in now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Pyjamas View Post
    No because at the time the effects of that war weren't as obvious as they are now, it was in fact the likes of Corbyn and Cook that predicted we'd end up with the situation we are in now.
    There were plenty of people at the time who saw through the lies and foresaw the consequences, hence the big Stop the War march - but I do think it's now a bandwagon that's been jumped on by many for reasons other opposition to war. Anyway that's a bit of side issue - I think his ship has long since sailed and rightly so.

There were plenty of people at the time who saw through the lies and foresaw the consequences, hence the big Stop the War march - but I do think it's now a bandwagon that's been jumped on by many for reasons other opposition to war. Anyway that's a bit of side issue - I think his ship has long since sailed and rightly so.
    And yet I would say he speaks more cogently on the EU (just for one) than most contemporary politicians and certainly anyone outwith Starmer on the Labour benches.

Twitter
    Facebook

I'd agree, i think politicians have dumbed things right down in the last 5 years or so, society seems to favour the stupid, underlined by the fact that "experts" supposedly know nothing.

So on the same token I wouldn't be voting for May if I voted for Conservatives then?

Just out of interest did you support their previous manifesto pledge of staying in the EU? Also on their stance on immigration did the Cameron pledge of getting the figure down to the 10's of thousands appeal or are you happy that they failed miserably on it?

Don't worry about going against the grain, that's what debate is.

But what have they actually done in seven years? Let's say five tangible achievements.
    I can see a Monty Python sketch coming on here, 'what have the romans ever done for us'?

Like I said, it's more about me feeling that their stance on those 3 key issues mirror my own.

I'd also add that I come from a staunch labour supporting family and who think the polar opposite to myself, but you've got to vote for who you feel best represents your own beliefs and for me that's Tory.

Disagree, the Leader defines policy. Labour's stated position on Brexit mirrors Corbyn's views, not their MPs.

There are good local MPs who do excellent constituency work - Douglas Carswell is actually one of them, despite what I might think of his views on Europe - but it isn't the main consideration for most people. How much work does George Osborne do in Tatton? Bet he still gets in if he stands.
    Williamson is very good for his constitutes.

Have been doing some research this afternoon, not overly in-depth, but don't think Theresa will end up with as big a majority as people are predicting - have heard someone this afternoon on BBC suggesting as big as 100 seat majority.

In 2015, 30 seats were won with a majority of less than 1000 votes - 14 of those were won by Tories, and 11 by Labour. 2 of Labour's seats out of those 11 the Tories weren't second placed so that leaves 9 extremely vulnerable seats for Labour.

I'm convinced that May will win, and they will more than likely get a bigger voter share than in 2015, but in terms of seats I don't think it will be that much bigger than they currently enjoy (or at least that's what I'm hoping for)

I'll probably vote SNP. Maybe Green if Mark Ruskell runs again but I'm not sure if he will.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

Quote Originally Posted by Penk Wolf View Post
    Williamson is very good for his constitutes.
    I dunno, he hasn't done much for me lately

I can see a Monty Python sketch coming on here, 'what have the romans ever done for us'?

Like I said, it's more about me feeling that their stance on those 3 key issues mirror my own.

I'd also add that I come from a staunch labour supporting family and who think the polar opposite to myself, but you've got to vote for who you feel best represents your own beliefs and for me that's Tory.
    That's all fair enough, no-one's going to have a go at you for your beliefs (question them maybe, I'd certainly ask why defence is so important to you as opposed to say, the over 1m people we have using food banks). However would you accept that this has been a decade where practically nothing positive has been done by the Government? Wage stagnation, economic drivel, people increasingly cut adrift...

In which case to me it would seem perverse to vote for more of the same.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Just out of interest did you support their previous manifesto pledge of staying in the EU? Also on their stance on immigration did the Cameron pledge of getting the figure down to the 10's of thousands appeal or are you happy that they failed miserably on it?
    I agreed that we should have a vote on it. I'm not happy they failed on meeting their figure, but I thought at the time it was unachievable.

And yet I would say he speaks more cogently on the EU (just for one) than most contemporary politicians and certainly anyone outwith Starmer on the Labour benches.
    I don't disagree but I don't think he ever had the same sort of personal following that would make a comeback successful, unlike Thatcher who could probably start up a rival Tory party from the grave and win.

I'm not sure how big Brexit will play in people's minds in the election. How many Remainers are now resigned to the country's fate and will vote based on the "normal" domestic issues? I'd probably put myself in that camp - I think Brexit is an unholy disaster but is now inevitable. As such I think I'd rather the opposition parties targeted their fire on education, health, inequality, social justice and the environment.

You've got to give them credit for same sex marriage and the commitment to foreign aid although you could argue that it would have happened anyway if Labour had been in power.

I'm not sure how big Brexit will play in people's minds in the election. How many Remainers are now resigned to the country's fate and will vote based on the "normal" domestic issues? I'd probably put myself in that camp - I think Brexit is an unholy disaster but is now inevitable. As such I think I'd rather the opposition parties targeted their fire on education, health, inequality, social justice and the environment.
    I don't actually think many views have changed on the EU in the last nine months - they've become more polarised if anything. Leavers want us to just get on with it and have talked themselves into a mindset where it's definitely going to work out despite all the available evidence, Remainers are more entrenched that it's a terrible idea all round.

It should be a really easy task to trash the Tories on the NHS and the economy.

Twitter
    Facebook