Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2017 General Election Thread

Labour reminds me of Wolves in the last days of MM. Everyone knows the game is up, but the leaders a nice guy. But you feel a defeat might do long term good if it leads to a change at the top. Meaning Theresa May is the albion...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Visage View Post
    Labour reminds me of Wolves in the last days of MM. Everyone knows the game is up, but the leaders a nice guy. But you feel a defeat might do long term good if it leads to a change at the top. Meaning Theresa May is the albion...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    Is Diane Abbott Terry Connor?

The whole team needs binning. Emily Thornberry on Newsnight last night was abysmal. A general election has been called, I would imagine that the plan for Labour is to try and win the fucking thing yet a front bench spokesperson repeatedly mentioned that they would be holding the Conservatives to account for the progress on the type of Brexit deal that Theresa May will get.

I think it has the potential to be a reasonably interesting campaign, even if the overall result looks pretty much a done deal.

Things I think will be interesting:

Was 2015 the high-water mark for the SNP? Will 2017 labour be able to pick up any seats North of the Border?
    Has the electorate forgiven the Lib Dems for the Clegg coalition? Will they pick up remainer votes, even though their heartlands were pretty solidly leave areas? Will they manage to make gains at the expense of Conservatives in those areas, which might even reduce the majority?
    Will labour really lose that many seats? Even if they are miles behind in the polls, a huge tranche of labour MPs are safe as houses in the traditional labour areas. They aren't going to be facing armageddon, even with Corbyn, you would imagine. If he can stay around the same number of seats as they currently have, is that a huge success? How many does he have to lose for his position to be untenable?
    Will UKIP have any impact at all, considering that they have got what they wanted, and Nuttall doesn't have any of the pull of Farage as leader?
    Just how much of an increase in majority does Theresa May actually need to feel secure? If it comes out moderately the same as now, is that sufficient of a bloody nose for her to rein in policies, or will she treat it as the ultimate green light that, say, a 100 seat majority surely would be?
    Can the Green Party finally get on the board?
    Will Plaid increase their position in Wales?
    What on earth will happen in Northern Ireland (on so many levels)?
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    I think it has the potential to be a reasonably interesting campaign, even if the overall result looks pretty much a done deal.

Things I think will be interesting:

Was 2015 the high-water mark for the SNP? Will 2017 labour be able to pick up any seats North of the Border? I think that the Conservatives will gain seats in Scotland on an Anti referendum ticket. Labour may get a couple more too but not much more than that.
    Has the electorate forgiven the Lib Dems for the Clegg coalition? Will they pick up remainer votes, even though their heartlands were pretty solidly leave areas? Will they manage to make gains at the expense of Conservatives in those areas, which might even reduce the majority?They'll be the protest vote for remainers. London and the South West they may gain a few seats but like Labour in Scotland not many.
    Will labour really lose that many seats? Even if they are miles behind in the polls, a huge tranche of labour MPs are safe as houses in the traditional labour areas. They aren't going to be facing armageddon, even with Corbyn, you would imagine. If he can stay around the same number of seats as they currently have, is that a huge success? How many does he have to lose for his position to be untenable?Any defeat will leave his position untenable. He will lose seats but like you say,
    the safe labour seats will remain that way.

Will UKIP have any impact at all, considering that they have got what they wanted, and Nuttall doesn't have any of the pull of Farage as leader? They may get the anti Conservative, pro Brexit vote in safe Labour seats but nowhere near the share of the vote nationally that they had previously.
    Just how much of an increase in majority does Theresa May actually need to feel secure? If it comes out moderately the same as now, is that sufficient of a bloody nose for her to rein in policies, or will she treat it as the ultimate green light that, say, a 100 seat majority surely would be? I think that she'll end up with a 50 plus majority and the mandate that she craves to govern in her own way. I've seen some articles suggesting that an increased majority will leave her able to take on the more right wing element of her party for a softer Brexit. The young, poor, ill and vulnerable will still remain fair game for cuts mind.
    Can the Green Party finally get on the board? An increased share of the vote.
    Will Plaid increase their position in Wales? No. Wales were pro Brexit, Plaid pro EU.
    What on earth will happen in Northern Ireland (on so many levels)?The status quo of not much agreement will continue for the time being.
    My take on your questions Paddy.

Thanks for the response! I think I broadly agree with most of it.

I also wonder if we might see a serious bout of voter fatigue. One too many elections (or at least national votes) in quick succession. All the parties are going to have to work extremely hard to get their voters out on polling day.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Thanks for the response! I think I broadly agree with most of it.

I also wonder if we might see a serious bout of voter fatigue. One too many elections (or at least national votes) in quick succession. All the parties are going to have to work extremely hard to get their voters out on polling day.
    I think that's part of the strategy against the LibDems, nobody wants another vote on the referendum and it heads this idea off at the pass. I agree with Sniffer on your points Paddy and would add that if May doesn't get more than a 50 seat majority we are in for a hard Brexit and right wing policies that would make Maggie blush.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

I think it will be an interesting few weeks. I think that my local MP Heidi Alan will get re-elected. I can't bring myself to vote Conservative though. Labour are dead in the water under Corbyn. UKIP may surprise a few as we are still not out say they also will be looking for a mandate.
    Remember, remember we are shit in November .

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-defeat-tories

The idea of some sort of a electoral pact is a good one. Unfortunately, I imagine Labour would rather look after themselves than go for this.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

Good news at last....

Gideon Osborne quits as an MP.

Every cloud.

Can't say I'll miss the pie faced coke fiend.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Good news at last....

Gideon Osborne quits as an MP.
    Hope he finds something to do with his spare time

Predictably the motion passed by a ridiculous majority.

http://www.voterpower.org.uk tells you how worthwhile your vote is.

Mine:

http://www.voterpower.org.uk/staffordshire-south

Great.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Mine:

http://www.voterpower.org.uk/west-bromwich-west

I long for the day we have some sort of proportional representation.
    I pledge my grievance to the flag

Twitter

http://www.voterpower.org.uk/surrey-south-west

First General Election since I moved here. Looks like our illustrious health secretary is safe despite my vote

Quote Originally Posted by Trips View Post
    http://www.voterpower.org.uk/surrey-south-west

First General Election since I moved here. Looks like our illustrious health secretary is safe despite my vote
    Where do you live, Trips?

YoungWolf is offline World Cup 2014 PTG Champion - Not actually that Young, don't be confused by the pre-teen posting style.
    http://www.voterpower.org.uk/southampton-itchen

I know which way I will be voting. And I will be encouraging as many of my friends to vote as well

Quote Originally Posted by So Long Architect View Post
    Where do you live, Trips?
    Farnham. Moved here just over 12 months ago with work.

Previously lived in Cameron's constituency of Witney - really need to stop moving to these ridiculously safe Tory seats

Previously lived in Cameron's constituency of Witney - really need to stop moving to these ridiculously safe Tory seats
    Fucking leafy suburbs!

Quote Originally Posted by YoungWolf View Post
    http://www.voterpower.org.uk/southampton-itchen

I know which way I will be voting. And I will be encouraging as many of my friends to vote as well
    Show off.

My voting power is about to be slashed from a mighty 0.7 down to a pathetic 0.09.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Fucking leafy suburbs!
    Am planning on moving to Sparkbrook soon

Hey, my home town. Lovely place (leafy!) but choc full of unspeakable Tory bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus Dan View Post
    Mine:

http://www.voterpower.org.uk/west-bromwich-west

I long for the day we have some sort of proportional representation.
    Oh my God. Don't get me started! Many on here have banned me from talking about proportional representation LOL.

I am so torn with this general election. On one hand I really do want to see us leave the European Union. On the other I would like to kick the Tories so far into touch you would not see them for dust. The only way that can happen is if Labour liberals and the greens unite and present some form of manifesto jointly that can unseat them. The fly in the appointment is the European Union. So many people will want to ensure that leaving the EU happens. That means some form of rebellion is less likely. And that's a bloody shame

However, 48 per cent of the electorate agree with that stance on europe (remaining). Might come in handy.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Wolves SW is the 10th most powerful constituency!!
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

I am secretly hoping that there are lots of independent members of parliament for this election that can be swayed positively by the benefits of not backing the Tories.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    Oh my God. Don't get me started! Many on here have banned me from talking about proportional representation LOL.
    I wonder how many people would change their vote if there were multi member constituencies like in the European elections? I for one would.

Farron is such a tube. Answer the question you fucking weirdo. That will hurt him so much.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa