4 9.76%

6 14.63%

1 2.44%

1 2.44%
  • 2022 (lol)

1 2.44%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long has May got left?

BUT IT WASN'T THE POINT THE ELECTION WAS FOUGHT ON.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Can't see how May can last much longer. I honestly don't think she could have made things any worse than they are.

When you remember how 'safe' the Tories were just a few months ago, its no mean feat to completely fuck up an election campaign, appear to be uncaring, ruthless, arrogant and completely detached from reality in every interview she does. On top of making so many dreadful decisions.

She not only appears both incapable and unsuitable to lead, but she also doesn't seem capable of acting like a human being.

She's an appalling PM. Easily the worst in my lifetime.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by thehistorymakers View Post
    Of course we want access, but you can't be part of it if you have no freedom of movement. That is Brexit, not hard or soft Brexit.
    I don't think there is any such thing as hard or soft Brexit. It is an invention by the people who don't want a Brexit. I want no freedom of movement, that is what both main parties have in their manifesto. You can't have no freedom of movement and staying in the single market. It is a smokescreen, that has been used by the remain media.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Can you move this conversation to the referendum thread please mate?

Just so the Maybot abuse doesn't get lost amongst the Brexit chat....
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    Can't see how May can last much longer. I honestly don't think she could have made things any worse than they are.

When you remember how 'safe' the Tories were just a few months ago, its no mean feat to completely fuck up an election campaign, appear to be uncaring, ruthless, arrogant and completely detached from reality in every interview she does. On top of making so many dreadful decisions.

She not only appears both incapable and unsuitable to lead, but she also doesn't seem capable of acting like a human being.

Regarding your first two paragraphs, I wrote something very similar earlier this morning. Though I am not sure that she will be allowed to resign. There is no stand out candidate to replace her, and the Conservative party do not want another election.

Regarding her personality, then I think she finds it very difficult when dealing directly with people. She is much more at home in the confines of Parliament.

In my opinion, Jim Callaghan is the worst Prime Minister we have had, but that is a seperate issue.

When you remember how 'safe' the Tories were just a few months ago, its no mean feat to completely $#@! up an election campaign, appear to be uncaring, ruthless, arrogant and completely detached from reality in every interview she does. On top of making so many dreadful decisions.

I'm clearly more right of where you are and I agree with everything you've written. She's easily the worst PM. I wonder if she's a political sacrifice now - start the Brexit conversation, public enquiries into terrorism and Grenfel as well as trying to secure her party in power until the autumn where we have another election.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Can you move this conversation to the referendum thread please mate?

Just so the Maybot abuse doesn't get lost amongst the Brexit chat....
    Ye, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    I'm clearly more right of where you are and I agree with everything you've written. She's easily the worst PM. I wonder if she's a political sacrifice now - start the Brexit conversation, public enquiries into terrorism and Grenfel as well as trying to secure her party in power until the autumn where we have another election.
    Cameron will have the worst legacy, but she is easily the most incompetent. She can't do anything that's required of a Leader.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

The Conservative party do not want another election in the autumn for fear that Labour would win. Which is why I think Mrs May will be told to hang on for as long as possible. An unacceptable situation, but that is the consequence of Mrs Mays folly.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    The Conservative party do not want another election in the autumn for fear that Labour would win. Which is why I think Mrs May will be told to hang on for as long as possible. An unacceptable situation, but that is the consequence of Mrs Mays folly.
    Cameron came from nowhere and I'm sure the CCHQ are looking at ways to get Ruth Davidson in post somewhere as she's seen as very popular.

I think a new leader, new broom approach may work for the Tories. Back benchers such as Philip Davies and Jacob Rees-scum do them no favours of being the nasty party in current climate. They need to change.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Cameron came from nowhere and I'm sure the CCHQ are looking at ways to get Ruth Davidson in post somewhere as she's seen as very popular.

I think a new leader, new broom approach may work for the Tories. Back benchers such as Philip Davies and Jacob Rees-scum do them no favours of being the nasty party in current climate. They need to change.
    I agree that change is required, both in approach and application. Though in my opinion if Mrs May was to leave office, then Boris Johnson would be elected as the new leader of the party, though I hasten to add that I would not vote for him.

May got more votes than Thatcher or Blair. That meant she wasn't unpopular. What happened is that Corbyn had a great manifesto, was going to abolish tuition fees which got hundreds of thousands of extra votes. He is a genius and I would love him to be elected.
    I will add, that if He was looking like winning the election, which he wasn't in the last campaign, the money markets will absolutely hammer Labour. He will be taken much more to task about costing ect. He would get a much rougher ride than last time.

I don't think anybody else wants to deal with Brexit and the economy is set to tank too. May wanted a huge majority to ride the wave of all this shite and then hopefully win a slim victory in 2022 when things had blown over and with the aid of some boundary changes. All of that is buggered now. Hard to see who would walk into that situation which is why I think they will stick with her for a while. A leadership change creates pressure for an election and they would almost certainly lose it - the public are sick of having elections to deal with internal Tory politics.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    I don't think anybody else wants to deal with Brexit and the economy is set to tank too. May wanted a huge majority to ride the wave of all this shite and then hopefully win a slim victory in 2022 when things had blown over and with the aid of some boundary changes. All of that is buggered now. Hard to see who would walk into that situation which is why I think they will stick with her for a while. A leadership change creates pressure for an election and they would almost certainly lose it - the public are sick of having elections to deal with internal Tory politics.
    All of which is true. But to develop the final point, the country can't sit around indefinitely with a paralysed Government that can't do anything while we wait for internal Tory politics to sort itself out and pick someone else.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
    Sadly, I have to agree with you. Though I wonder who decided to have a snap election. Was it the prime minister or her advisors. Either way they made a right mess of things.

Quote Originally Posted by thehistorymakers View Post
    May got more votes than Thatcher or Blair. That meant she wasn't unpopular. What happened is that Corbyn had a great manifesto, was going to abolish tuition fees which got hundreds of thousands of extra votes. He is a genius and I would love him to be elected.
    I will add, that if He was looking like winning the election, which he wasn't in the last campaign, the money markets will absolutely hammer Labour. He will be taken much more to task about costing ect. He would get a much rougher ride than last time.
    This. Both leaders did very well in terms of % of the vote. What happened was that for the first time in decades voters had a clear choice and they picked a side. This is why all the parties who couldn't form a govt lost votes - Greens, SNP, Lib Dems and UKIP.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    All of which is true. But to develop the final point, the country can't sit around indefinitely with a paralysed Government that can't do anything while we wait for internal Tory politics to sort itself out and pick someone else.
    She might have to revise her view of Brexit and negotiate with Labour to get a softer deal passed through the Commons. The loons will kick off massively but the threat of losing an election may be enough to keep them quiet. Once the deal is passed she could resign and then we have another election in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    Very helpful...Not sure what he is trying to achieve, unless he is making an early claim to be the next leader.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMunro-371 View Post
    Very helpful...Not sure what he is trying to achieve, unless he is making an early claim to be the next leader.
    If she'd got the majority she was looking for she'd have sacked him and he knows it, she also humiliated him over the budget. As you know Frank the Conservative Party can never put the good of the Party ahead of private loathing and vendettas

If she'd got the majority she was looking for she'd have sacked him and he knows it, she also humiliated him over the budget. As you know Frank the Conservative Party can never put the good of the Party ahead of private loathing and vendettas
    A bit harsh in my opinion. Yes there are divisions within the Conservative party, and have been for as long as I can remember. But it was not that long ago that the Labour Party was at war, with MP's demanding a new leader, and at one stage Mr. Corbyn was struggling to fill shadow cabinet vacancies. Luckily for them Mrs May decided to score the biggest political own goal I can recall.

Now that we are for the time being back to a two party system, there will always be those who disagree with the leadership. And both Labour and the Conservatives have rebel rousers among the back benchers.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tower-response
    I think she'll struggle along til around conference time. Dunno whether it'd be pre or post conference, but her position will be untenable by then.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    I think she'll struggle along til around conference time. Dunno whether it'd be pre or post conference, but her position will be untenable by then.
    Her position is already untenable, but she will be forced to stay in office for the time being. The Conservative party do not want another election.

I agree with you Frank. I'm not sure theresa may would though

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    With Parliament in summer recess, the plotters will be working away behind the scenes and away from the party whips. And with the conference season not that far away, I think there will be a challenge to her leadership within a couple of months.

So, 44% of people who voted on this are already wrong.

She will cling on for dear life for as long as possible, it genuinely could be years.

The problem is that the DUP hold the cards - and they wont want another election, as its unlikely that the next one will keep them is kingmakers. So they wont bring the government down.

And in the absense of that we're stuck with the Tories.

The elephant in the room is, of course, Brexit. If it seriously goes sideways - if the deal offered is so obviously terrible that even the staunchest Leaver thinks we'd be better off withdrawing A50 notification - then the Tories would have to call an election - it would be a cockup up such monumental proportions that as a government they'd be finished.

Agree with you re DUP Vis. However the maneuvering that has been going on across the summer (particularly by hammond, but also fox, and to a lesser extent gove) suggests to me there are conservatives eyeing the prize for themselves.

I'm still thinking that around/just after the conference a challenge will start.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Pyjamas View Post
    So, 44% of people who voted on this are already wrong.

She will cling on for dear life for as long as possible, it genuinely could be years.
    I think you can make that two thirds wrong at this stage. Teflon.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.