6 14.63%

1 2.44%

1 2.44%
  • 2022 (lol)

1 2.44%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long has May got left?

Still in the game....

Freddeno is offline Koscielny Fan Club President, PTG Euro Winner 2016 and all round FPU artist - Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    if Trump is still at the party then May has until next election
    "In Nuno we trust!!" UTW!

Not a chance. Very clear that David Davies is planning a coup.
    I'm looking California

I'm feeling Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Not a chance. Very clear that David Davies is planning a coup.
    I expected a challenge in the summer. If nothing happens over the next few weeks then I expect she will be Prime Minister until next spring at the earliest. The fact May has lasted so long following her disastrous election campaign surprises me.

Not much incentive for anyone to take over this early into the Parliament and Brexit, is there? I think everyone's quite happy for her to be strapped to the front of the tank taking all the incoming fire for the time being.

Only someone with an ego as monstrous as Boris would see the PM position as anything other than a poisoned chalice for a while yet.

Well, a lot of it is her fault.

The problem is that we can't have a functioning Government with her as PM and with the Tories running a quasi-coalition with creationist lunatics. But Tories gonna Tory. Power for power's sake, forget the fact that it's killing the country month on month.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Fair play to Manchester. Police say 30,000 people turned up to protest at the tory conference. That's fairly significant imo.

Sadly, looks like universal credit will be going ahead regardless.

The splits within the party are becoming more apparent the more they try to suggest they're united though. Can't see things getting better soon.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by SLA View Post
    Not much incentive for anyone to take over this early into the Parliament and Brexit, is there? I think everyone's quite happy for her to be strapped to the front of the tank taking all the incoming fire for the time being.

Only someone with an ego as monstrous as Boris would see the PM position as anything other than a poisoned chalice for a while yet.
    I also think this. I don't see how it's possible to make a success of Brexit regardless of whether it's a good idea or not, the amount of legislation that needs to be setup is huge. Plus, the actual negotiation of trade deals etc. To do all that in 2 years is a huge ask, especially when you consider it took 17 days to get the DUP deal through.

There's going to be lots of tea required over the next decade to sort this all out

Appears to be turning into Felix Magath.

Those who have seen Mrs May privately in recent weeks describe her as stricken and stunned. On one occasion she sat in silence for almost ten minutes while the visitor she had invited to see her waited for her to lead the conversation.

Twitter
    Facebook

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    She probably ran out of charge.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

machin05 is online now MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Sounds like a hell of a date.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    Appears to be turning into Felix Magath.
    After 20 years of marriage, that's called a night out.

Is may still here? Am I still on This feckin island?
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

Sadly, yes.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Despite the poll result on here, Mrs. May is still Prime Minister. And despite all the setbacks she will possibly still be in charge this time next year.

The alternative of a Momentum led Labour government just does not bear thinking about.

It's hard to think how it could be worse.

Having to effectively sack three senior Cabinet ministers in around six months is shambolic, let alone before we go into the myriad dire economic policies that the Tories have been failing with for seven and a half years. Also we are - solely thanks to the previous Tory PM - now in the most important, volatile political phase this country has faced since the war and that department is being led by someone who quite clearly bluffs his way through it. Who behaves like a 12 year old kid who lies about doing his homework then does an appalling, amateurish cover-up job when he's asked to show what he's done. Meantime the Government can be made to dance to the tune of a bunch of climate changing, creationist Northern Irish MPs who don't believe that dinosaurs existed.

We have a Government who don't do anything. They won't fix the errors made by the previous leadership and have no ideas of their own.

Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsch Wolf View Post
    It's hard to think how it could be worse.
    She could threaten to cut aid to any countries with the audacity to disagree with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joćo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    She could threaten to cut aid to any countries with the audacity to disagree with her.
    Don't even go there Alan. Ministers are openly trying to divert foreign aid to causes that suit their own agendas. A now sacked former international development minister argued that foreign aid should go to countries willing to do trade deals post Brexit. Another wants to divert funds to tackle plastic pollution, whilst others argue that it should go to British controlled tax havens to tackle storm damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    Don't even go there Alan. Ministers are openly trying to divert foreign aid to causes that suit their own agendas. A now sacked former international development minister argued that foreign aid should go to countries willing to do trade deals post Brexit. Another wants to divert funds to tackle plastic pollution, whilst others argue that it should go to British controlled tax havens to tackle storm damage.
    Guess it's lucky then that it didn't come from a direct representative of May?

I was just pointing out that it can, unfortunately and somewhat hysterically, get worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joćo Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

Reducing the foreign aid budget is inevitable. It's already seen as money we could be spending on "our own" by the right wing press, who go to town whenever a story breaks of money ultimately appearing to go to a perceived dubious cause, the undercurrent to which is deeply unpleasant and in a post Brexit vote world less and less hidden. The usual rhetoric is something along the lines of 'why are we giving money to India, when they are a nuclear nation and have more billionaires than the UK does, they can look after their own people it's not our problem they choose not to?' or ' X country has a tyrant in charge, why are we giving money to someone who murders his own people'?Typical examples here:
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...rk-Sedwill/amp
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.tel...g-workers/amp/

Once the realities of Brexit hit home, we will have to spend less on foreign aid as a total figure as we'll have less money, but I'm sure that will also be the case as a percentage and justified as necessary vs, the NHS, education, social services etc alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    This is nothing new, pretending it is because it's a Tory government is disingenuous. Blair and Brown were well known for it.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    This is nothing new, pretending it is because it's a Tory government is disingenuous. Blair and Brown were well known for it.
    I was just answering Alan's point about foreign aid and what current ministers here are trying to do with our own budget. I'll even go as far as applauding David Cameron for being the first UK leader to take the UK contribution to the UN target of 0.7% of GDP .

Government Ministers of any particular persuasion will defend their own departments and try all that they can to fund that department as well as they can.

2019 and she still clings on...

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Pyjamas View Post
    2019 and she still clings on...
    First leader in history to be this bad and still there.
    Remember, remember we are doing OK this November .

Boom
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Towner View Post
    I'm on my own with 2019, Backbenchers won't want another election and no other Tory front runner will want to take the Brexit baton

In her own warped terms, she's playing a bit of a blinder. I still think she'll go on until the next election, which won't come early. Both her own party and the opposition can't quite see the benefits of removing her and she'll cling to power for as robotically possible.
    And, bizarrely, I think a lot of non-political people think she is doing a good job as a plucky woman fighting against the evil EU, the toffs in her own party and the creepy scarecrow man.

Langers is offline Dr Admin and PTG Champion x 2 (2011/12, 2012/13)
    Hands up who got it right?

I was way off.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    To be fair to the majority of guesses, not one expected the stain to be so tough to get rid off that even Barry Scott refused to try

Go me...