Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whisk(e)y

Whisk(e)y

I keep posting in the beer thread but I think the Water of Life needs a thread of its own.

What are your favourite drams?

I'm a Scotch or Irish guy first and foremost, mainly prefer the lighter, friendlier Speysides or Highland malts but I can appreciate a good Islay too and my favourite whisky of all time has got to be either Lagavulin 16 or Caol Ila 12.

Monkey Shoulder is my 'go-to' whisky, I don't think there's much better than it for that price.

Not a great Bourbon fan but I do like a wee Bulleit or Blanton's Gold if I can get it over here.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

We discussed this Sam at the last match that I attended. I can't drink Scotch at all now for reasons that really don't need to be discussed here but I remember old favourites from my whisk(e)y drinking days

Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack would be the Bourbon of choice

Bushmills Black Bush is my Irish

North of the Border

Bunnahabhain
    Talisker
    Highland Park
    Ardbeg
    Cardhu
    ANY Glenmorangie
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Any whisky is wasted on me as I can't drink it neat.

A little water is allowed. Not ice though. That would be crass...

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Haven't had Cardhu. Bunnahabain are a fantastic distillery, I can't remember the name of it but they did a limited edition peated version of the 12 recently which was absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by PPB View Post
    Any whisky is wasted on me as I can't drink it neat.
    There's a whisky out there for everyone IMO, you just haven't found the right one yet!

Plus, like Paddy said, no shame in a little water. It is 40%+!!!

Glenfiddich.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    A little water is allowed. Not ice though. That would be crass...
    How about Ginger Ale?

Just had a look at the Highland Park revamp and Viking themed re-labelling. If I still drank the stuff that would be very tempting to own as the bottles look beautiful and the whisky inside is absolute quality.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

I reckon you could put me under the table on whisk(e)y mate. I barely touch it these days.

Don't mind a Talisker now and then. My old local in Hamburg had some 21 year old Bushmills and they pried me with that on my birthday, fucking insane stuff.
    The rain falls hard on a humdrum town.

http://oscillatingwildly.net
    Twitter
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    There's a whisky out there for everyone IMO, you just haven't found the right one yet!

Plus, like Paddy said, no shame in a little water. It is 40%+!!!
    I just find them too harsh they hurt me throat. Name a nice smooth one for a novice?

How about Ginger Ale?
    Don't pollute a malt with it. But if you wanted to put a ginger ale into a blended or a bourbon as a mixer you could. Let's face it you wouldn't ask for a Glenmorangie and coke, but a JD and coke is an accepted combo. I would probably recommend something like Bells or Grouse as your experiment with ginger ale.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

I just find them too harsh they hurt me throat. Name a nice smooth one for a novice?
    Avoid Talisker or anything renowned as "peaty".

There are some very beautiful blended whiskys that might suit. Chivas Regal would be my tip.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Just had a look at the Highland Park revamp and Viking themed re-labelling. If I still drank the stuff that would be very tempting to own as the bottles look beautiful and the whisky inside is absolute quality.
    Got one on the shelf right now. Just a pure classic. Does a little bit of everything.

Mentioned it in the OP. Monkey Shoulder. It's a blend of 3 Speyside single malts (Kininvie, Glenfiddich & Balvenie)which are naturally lighter, friendlier drams. It's all honey and butterscotch. Just gorgeous.

Jura perhaps?

I quite like an Oban (helps having lived down the road from the distillery), but whisky doesn't really agree with me.

Maker's Mark is my go-to. I always mean to try a good Scotch or Irish but to be honest I've no idea where to start with them.

More of a tequila man, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by João Moutinho
    "I hope to win all the games."

I'd rather drink petrol than tequila.
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    I'd rather drink petrol than tequila.
    If you ever give it another chance make sure it's proper 100% blue agave! Anything else is absolutely undrinkable.

Don't drink it often but love Lophroaig.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Maker's Mark is my go-to. I always mean to try a good Scotch or Irish but to be honest I've no idea where to start with them.

More of a tequila man, anyway.

Green Spot or Redbreast 12 are my favourites from Ireland.

As for Scotch, start with a Speyside or Highland (Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Dalmore etc) and then work your way up to a smoke bomb like Ardbeg or Laphroig.

If you dive in at the deep end you could easily end up putting yourself off whisky but once you acquire a taste for peat then there's no going back.

Are there any good Florida Bourbons?

I'm not a great fan to be honest although I've normally got a bottle in the house obtained via a gift or work.

The favourite one that I've had would be a bottle of Sherry Cask Glenmorangie as the aroma was something else. I'd pour some and spend the evening with my nose in the glass rather than drinking it!

The Macallan. Beautiful.

Was it a 'blended' whisky that was too harsh for your throat. Most of these need a mixer to enjoy.
    You would find a 'single malt' whisky a lot smoother. Get family and friends to buy you samplers or miniatures so you can try different ones.

Personally, I am now, and have been for some years, a Jack Daniel fan.

There is a lot of good advice on here, but whatever you do, don't give up, as somewhere there will be a whisk(e)y for you.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

Kenny is offline Post Sponsored by the creators of the Gallimore Scale
    Used to drink a fair bit of Whisky but now I seem to get chronic heartburn when drinking it.

Ok with a mixer (so stick with JD) but neat is a killer at the mo.

Tried a Japanese whisky a few years back and that was so smooth and one of the best I had tried.

Green Spot or Redbreast 12 are my favourites from Ireland.

As for Scotch, start with a Speyside or Highland (Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Dalmore etc) and then work your way up to a smoke bomb like Ardbeg or Laphroig.

If you dive in at the deep end you could easily end up putting yourself off whisky but once you acquire a taste for peat then there's no going back.

There may be some good bourbons made in Florida but there's nothing in the US that matches the true geographic ubiquity of Irish and Scotch whiskeys (apart from Tennessee whiskey, which by law here must be charcoal filtered).

Not even heard of a lot of these mentioned on this thread, but will look out for them when I'm over in Jan. Here, people tend to drink more bourbon, and the choice of whiskies is limited.

Out of all those mentioned, Isle Of Jura, I remember us buying a bottle at Christmastime once, that one I did like the taste of but still had to put a drop of mixer in it. Can't stand the taste of Bells or Grouse.

The suggestion of samplers and miniature bottles is a good idea, that way if I don't like them, well, I'm gonna have one hell of a Christmas cake!

Good thread by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    There may be some good bourbons made in Florida but there's nothing in the US that matches the true geographic ubiquity of Irish and Scotch whiskeys (apart from Tennessee whiskey, which by law here must be charcoal filtered).
    Oh yeah, I know. I think most newish American distilleries source their bourbon from MGP anyway (not necessarily a bad thing). I just couldn't think of any from Florida off the top of my head.

Not even heard of a lot of these mentioned on this thread, but will look out for them when I'm over in Jan. Here, people tend to drink more bourbon, and the choice of whiskies is limited.

Out of all those mentioned, Isle Of Jura, I remember us buying a bottle at Christmastime once, that one I did like the taste of but still had to put a drop of mixer in it. Can't stand the taste of Bells or Grouse.

The suggestion of samplers and miniature bottles is a good idea, that way if I don't like them, well, I'm gonna have one hell of a Christmas cake!

Good thread by the way.
    Yeah, Bells, Grouse etc aren't great. There are some brilliant budget blended whiskys out there though, Monkey Shoulder, Black Bottle & Johnnie Walker Double Black are fantastic and can stand up to a lot of single malts.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/

These guys do little taster kits with 5 3oz bottles which could be quite good for a beginner. You can do a 'build your own' taster kit or pick one of the pre-set boxes.

On my recent trip to Michigan, traveled the whole state of Kentucky, was told only Kentucky can truly call its bourbon "bourbon". Anywhere else it has to be called Bourbon Whiskey or Whiskey Bourbon.

And on that recent trip (Not really a spirit drinker) but my colleague tempted me to some fireball and Jack Fire, which have the cinnamon overtones which makes it slightly more manageable.
    400 channels and nowt to watch!