Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 120

Thread: Whisk(e)y

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by UKYankieWWFC View Post
    On my recent trip to Michigan, traveled the whole state of Kentucky, was told only Kentucky can truly call its bourbon "bourbon". Anywhere else it has to be called Bourbon Whiskey or Whiskey Bourbon.

    And on that recent trip (Not really a spirit drinker) but my colleague tempted me to some fireball and Jack Fire, which have the cinnamon overtones which makes it slightly more manageable.
    I don't think that's right. As long as it's from USA, over 50% corn & aged in new American oak barrels for at least 3 years then it can be called Bourbon. You might find a few Kentuckians who disagree with that but it's not a legal term like Scotch which can only be called that if it's from Scotland.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  2. #32
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    Oh yeah, I know. I think most newish American distilleries source their bourbon from MGP anyway (not necessarily a bad thing). I just couldn't think of any from Florida off the top of my head.



    Yeah, Bells, Grouse etc aren't great. There are some brilliant budget blended whiskys out there though, Monkey Shoulder, Black Bottle & Johnnie Walker Double Black are fantastic and can stand up to a lot of single malts.

    https://www.masterofmalt.com/

    These guys do little taster kits with 5 3oz bottles which could be quite good for a beginner. You can do a 'build your own' taster kit or pick one of the pre-set boxes.
    Thanks for that link Lycan, what a great idea. Those Advent calendars look interesting

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    The best part of Wolvo.
    Posts
    27,723
    Glenmorangie and Talisker in at the moment, I’ve not drunk much whisky over the summer really. I’ll nail some over Christmas though, just can’t decide what to buy next.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    9,163
    The old man loves Talisker and Laphroig. I can't stand either, too strong, tastes like toilet cleaner to me!

    I do like Jameson 12 yr old though, its aged in old Sherry casks and you can really taste it.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

    I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    The old man loves Talisker and Laphroig. I can't stand either, too strong, tastes like toilet cleaner to me!

    I do like Jameson 12 yr old though, its aged in old Sherry casks and you can really taste it.

    You should try to get your hands on GlenDronach 12. Massive Sherry bomb.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    15,471
    Might have to treat myself to a bottle of Monkey Shoulder and give that a whirl.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #prayforJohnny75

    Tweet.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Stafford
    Posts
    14,038
    Not touched any whisky for at least 6 months, but this thread has inspired me. Cracked open a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old single malt, very nice and must be quite smooth as I'm able to drink it as it comes.
    )

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Neots, Cambs.
    Posts
    7,745
    Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    Not touched any whisky for at least 6 months, but this thread has inspired me. Cracked open a bottle of Dalwhinnie 15 year old single malt, very nice and must be quite smooth as I'm able to drink it as it comes.
    Very nice.
    'Our goal is crystal clear: we will do our very best to help take Wolves back to the Premier League as soon as possible, and to stay there.'(21st July 2016). *Promotion achieved 15th April 2018.** 2019-7th-57pts-Qualify Europa*

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North Dorset
    Posts
    20,126
    Not been a spirit drinker for many years, but ran out of wine & had a bottle of Glenmorangie in the cupboard (plus a bottle of Glenfidditch, though feck knows how much that has aged since I got it)

    Opened the former as wanted another drink - much smoother than I remember (could be my Dad's fault. Always had a Drambuie after his evening meal & got me to partake when I was 14 - probably not the age to get a taste for it!)

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mondas and Telos
    Posts
    13,875
    I am a Bourban drinker or Tennesee whiskey.

    My favourite is Jack Daniels No3 blend. Dangerously smooth.
    Jim Beam Single Barrel and Gentleman Jack are also lovely.
    Wild Turkey is ok, if you get it as a present but not my " go to" even on offer.
    Red stag is a bit sweet for me.
    Woodford reserve , smooth and tangy
    Makers Mark,nice enough

    I dont like Buffalo trace much and as for the cheap ones I cannot abide the Aldi Clarkes 1866. Sharp as nails. If you have to go cheap either look for JD or Jim Beam on offer in the supermarket ( £15 a bottle in tesco currently) or LIDL Western Gold- acceptable and mixes well with Pepsi. Oh its always Pepsi, never Coke. Coke sucks!

    I dont do scotch at all or irish whiskey or Rye whiskey. It has to be a corn mash generally for me it seems.
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-_-man View Post
    I am a Bourban drinker or Tennesee whiskey.

    My favourite is Jack Daniels No3 blend. Dangerously smooth.
    Jim Beam Single Barrel and Gentleman Jack are also lovely.
    Wild Turkey is ok, if you get it as a present but not my " go to" even on offer.
    Red stag is a bit sweet for me.
    Woodford reserve , smooth and tangy
    Makers Mark,nice enough

    I dont like Buffalo trace much and as for the cheap ones I cannot abide the Aldi Clarkes 1866. Sharp as nails. If you have to go cheap either look for JD or Jim Beam on offer in the supermarket ( £15 a bottle in tesco currently) or LIDL Western Gold- acceptable and mixes well with Pepsi. Oh its always Pepsi, never Coke. Coke sucks!

    I dont do scotch at all or irish whiskey or Rye whiskey. It has to be a corn mash generally for me it seems.


    I just find that new oak taste in bourbon a bit harsh for my taste. The only ones I buy regularly are Bulleit or Four Roses. Relatively cheap (£22 from Tesco or £26 from M&S respectively)and very easy drinking while not being boring at all.



    One of my locals sometimes has a bottle of Blanton's Gold on the shelf though and that is a simply brilliant whiskey. Really cool bottle too. I'd looked at buying one for myself but it's £50+ a bottle and I'd only ever spend that much on Scotch/Irish.



    Sorted out my whisky for the Xmas period today, got a bottle of Green Spot and an Ardbeg 10. Might buy a cheaper bottle as well incase I end up needing to share.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Mondas and Telos
    Posts
    13,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    I just find that new oak taste in bourbon a bit harsh for my taste. The only ones I buy regularly are Bulleit or Four Roses. Relatively cheap (£22 from Tesco or £26 from M&S respectively)and very easy drinking while not being boring at all.



    One of my locals sometimes has a bottle of Blanton's Gold on the shelf though and that is a simply brilliant whiskey. Really cool bottle too. I'd looked at buying one for myself but it's £50+ a bottle and I'd only ever spend that much on Scotch/Irish.



    Sorted out my whisky for the Xmas period today, got a bottle of Green Spot and an Ardbeg 10. Might buy a cheaper bottle as well incase I end up needing to share.
    I feel like a big piss head today. I have been quietly accumulating stock over the last couple of months as the supermarkets have been giving some great offers. On checking, my cabinet contained
    1. Bottle JD master distiller no 3
    2. 1 litre JD no 7
    3. Bottle of Red stag Jim Beam- open
    4. Bottle of Woodford Reserve
    5. Bottle of Tanquery Gin
    6 Bottle of Hortus Gin
    7. 2 x bottle Taylors special reserve Port
    8. Bottle of Jaegermiester.

    Thats this week sorted then lol!
    if your path means you walk through hell then walk as if you own the place.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    400 yards from the sea. East coast of Ireland.
    Posts
    16,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin Drummer Wolf View Post
    The old man loves Talisker and Laphroig. I can't stand either, too strong, tastes like toilet cleaner to me!

    I do like Jameson 12 yr old though, its aged in old Sherry casks and you can really taste it.
    I'll fucking give you 'the old man!' But yes, those two + and of that have been aged or a nice bottle of Connemara Peated is just a lovely drop.
    Comes from the Cooley Distillery at the foot of the Mountains of Mourne. You can get that aged as well.
    If any of you guys want a really soft dram, and it's Irish, but it'll cost you... get you hands on a bottle of Midleton. You get the usual togged up stuff, A lovely wooden display box, a certificate, an acknowledgement that someone is faithfully writing your name in a fucking big ledger in Cork, blah blah, but I think it's triple distilled and an ordinary bottle will set you back around €70-€110.
    Very very soft on the pallet, no bite at all but jesus you'll move half the bottle in no time flat.

    This one is around €205.

    https://www.kwmwine.com/en/ie/Midlet...oaAuWwEALw_wcB

    Or this one a bit rarer for €399!!
    http://www.kwmwine.com/en/Midleton-V...cl/m-1488.aspx
    Everything is a choice. Bad choices make good stories. Design your own disaster. Create your life.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    WP_20171118_10_13_20_Pro.jpg

    My 'Top shelf' atm. Better than most bars!
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Green Spot. Just a wonderful Irish single pot still. Probably my favourite Whiskey atm.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  16. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,680
    Drunk a full bottle after about 6 or 7 pints at a new years eve party one year. Dunno what it was though .
    Other than that I only ever drink it in my tea on Christmas morning - carrying on my father's ex-army tradition.
    Im not a shorts drinker, Drambuie, Tia Maria, Cointreau and Disaronno I like.
    'I never predict anything and I never will'......Paul Gascoigne.

  17. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    9,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    Green Spot. Just a wonderful Irish single pot still. Probably my favourite Whiskey atm.
    Lovely stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post

    I honestly didn't think people were that stupid...

  18. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Laphroaig Lore. NAS whisky from Laphroaig aged in a combination of first fill sherry and quarter casks. Perfect end to a bitch of a 12 hr night shift.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  19. #49
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,987
    Lycan, I've found one! Jim Beam, Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon. Really inexpensive, but with ice it works for me

  20. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by PPB View Post
    Lycan, I've found one! Jim Beam, Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon. Really inexpensive, but with ice it works for me
    Haha awesome! A lot of Bourbons have a natural cherry/vanilla flavour so that might be your gateway!

    Had quite a few bottles bought for me this Xmas. Jura - Superstition, Aberfeldy 12, Redbreast 12 and a really special 8 year old cask strength single barrel Deanston which has been finished in red wine casks.

    Only had the Redbreast (which is one of my favourite whiskeys) so I'm looking forward to trying them all, especially the Deanston. I'll have to save that for a special occasion I think.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  21. #51
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    Haha awesome! A lot of Bourbons have a natural cherry/vanilla flavour so that might be your gateway!

    Had quite a few bottles bought for me this Xmas. Jura - Superstition, Aberfeldy 12, Redbreast 12 and a really special 8 year old cask strength single barrel Deanston which has been finished in red wine casks.

    Only had the Redbreast (which is one of my favourite whiskeys) so I'm looking forward to trying them all, especially the Deanston. I'll have to save that for a special occasion I think.
    Looking at the prices of some ' Special' whiskies over Christmas, not sure I could bring myself to pay that much for a bottle of booze tbh. What's the most you have ever spent on a bottle of Whiskey, and what was it?

  22. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    About £50. Probably either a bottle of Lagavulin 16 or Dalmore 15.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  23. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Treated myself to a bottle of Bunnahabhain - Ceobanach (pronounced cyaw-bin-och) yesterday. A 10 year old, Un-chillfiltered, natural colour, peated Bunnahabhain bottled at 46.3%. Absolutely glorious.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  24. #54
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    8,022
    Officially an old geeza - Got myself a hip flask and some Jim Beam apple / Red Stag for Wolves. I hate whiskey on it's own but for some reason quite like these 2.

    Any others similar to these I could look at?
    Time that you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

  25. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,466
    I'm hoping one or some of you can help me. I'm looking to buy a gift for a friend spending £100 ish (not my money!).

    1997 is a significant year for them and I was looking at single malts of that age. On the masters of malt site I've found three around that price but was hoping someone could give advice please. Can't load the page now but two were bottled by Kingsbury (McDuff and Bunnahabhain) And another by Blair Athol. Blair Athol is owned by Diageo? So was looking at one of the other two. Anyone heard or could recommend them?

  26. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniffer Grouse View Post
    I'm hoping one or some of you can help me. I'm looking to buy a gift for a friend spending £100 ish (not my money!).

    1997 is a significant year for them and I was looking at single malts of that age. On the masters of malt site I've found three around that price but was hoping someone could give advice please. Can't load the page now but two were bottled by Kingsbury (McDuff and Bunnahabhain) And another by Blair Athol. Blair Athol is owned by Diageo? So was looking at one of the other two. Anyone heard or could recommend them?
    Nothing wrong with Diageo mate, they make some truly amazing whisky. They're all owned by one massive corporation or the other, McDuff is run by Bacardi for example.

    I've not had anything from McDuff/Deveron or Blair Athol but Bunnahabhain is wonderful whisky. It's usually unpeated so you wont put people off who don't like that sort of thing but it's also quite complex. They have been known to add caramel colouring and water down to 40% with some of their expressions though so I'd check that before you buy. Quite a well known brand as well which is good when giving a gift.

    I just put 1997 into the search function on MoM, if I was going to spend £100 of my own money it'd be on either the Glentauchers 20yr single cask, the unpeated Coal Ila 17yr or the Benrinnes 18yr. That Glentauchers caught my eye straight away, it'll be truly spectacular. Very small distillery as well and most of their stock goes into blends so Glentauchers single malts are few and far between. Would make a very special gift.

    If you want to research the individual whiskys in more depth type them into youtube and see if a guy called Ralfy has done a review of them, the guy is a legend and knows the whisky industry inside out.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  27. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NW Leicestershire
    Posts
    13,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
    Nothing wrong with Diageo mate, they make some truly amazing whisky. They're all owned by one massive corporation or the other, McDuff is run by Bacardi for example.

    I've not had anything from McDuff/Deveron or Blair Athol but Bunnahabhain is wonderful whisky. It's usually unpeated so you wont put people off who don't like that sort of thing but it's also quite complex. They have been known to add caramel colouring and water down to 40% with some of their expressions though so I'd check that before you buy. Quite a well known brand as well which is good when giving a gift.

    I just put 1997 into the search function on MoM, if I was going to spend £100 of my own money it'd be on either the Glentauchers 20yr single cask, the unpeated Coal Ila 17yr or the Benrinnes 18yr. That Glentauchers caught my eye straight away, it'll be truly spectacular. Very small distillery as well and most of their stock goes into blends so Glentauchers single malts are few and far between. Would make a very special gift.

    If you want to research the individual whiskys in more depth type them into youtube and see if a guy called Ralfy has done a review of them, the guy is a legend and knows the whisky industry inside out.
    Many thanks for the reply Lycan, much appreciated.

    I think it''ll either be the Bunnahabhain or the Glentauchers that I'll go for. The Bunnahabhain states 50 odd % on the MOM website and the name of the bottle has a connection too. The date of the Glentauchers is bang on so it might just be a toss of the coin for which one I go with

  28. #58
    Can't believe I didn't know this thread existed...

    My Dad is a big Whiskey drinker and I have started to get a taste for it but tend to prefer bourbons and irish whiskeys as I found them less harsh... I have bought him a bottle of Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition as I enjoyed this when I tried it when in Dublin, he loves Jameson so hope he will like this - although it does taste different.

    Current bottles I have at home - Gentleman Jack, JD Master Distillers No1, Bulleit Bourbon, Jameson Caskmates Stout, Red Stag

    As my Dad is a big Jameson's fan, he also likes his Bourbons etc just wondering for future gift ideas?

  29. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dunblane
    Posts
    14,626
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfiePhil View Post
    Can't believe I didn't know this thread existed...

    My Dad is a big Whiskey drinker and I have started to get a taste for it but tend to prefer bourbons and irish whiskeys as I found them less harsh... I have bought him a bottle of Jameson Caskmates Stout Edition as I enjoyed this when I tried it when in Dublin, he loves Jameson so hope he will like this - although it does taste different.

    Current bottles I have at home - Gentleman Jack, JD Master Distillers No1, Bulleit Bourbon, Jameson Caskmates Stout, Red Stag

    As my Dad is a big Jameson's fan, he also likes his Bourbons etc just wondering for future gift ideas?
    Green Spot or Redbreast 12 are my favourite Irish Whiskeys. Both usually around £35-40 a bottle.
    This year, to save me from tears
    I'll give it to Hélder Costa

  30. #60
    Cheers I'll have give one a try then

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •