Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Velotard Thread.

went out on the bike last night as I ha only been out once in over a week. Really enjoyed the cycle, and needed the exercise! Definitely going out again tonight.
    Anyway, I mentioned there was a hill I could never make it up on my old bike. So part way through last night I thought fuck it, gonna go see if I can climb it. And I did. I fucking made it. 2.5 years I cycled to work and never got up that hill.
    Of course, it would have been quicker to have got off and pushed the bike up, but that isn,t the point. Fucking did it.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    went out on the bike last night as I ha only been out once in over a week. Really enjoyed the cycle, and needed the exercise! Definitely going out again tonight.
    Anyway, I mentioned there was a hill I could never make it up on my old bike. So part way through last night I thought fuck it, gonna go see if I can climb it. And I did. I fucking made it. 2.5 years I cycled to work and never got up that hill.
    Of course, it would have been quicker to have got off and pushed the bike up, but that isn,t the point. Fucking did it.
    Well done mate! Always great to overcome an old nemesis of a hill.

Did the Burway a couple of weekends ago (I think, completely lost track of days!). It was prior to the lock down, so was out with a group. That was a savage beast of a climb. Solid pain cave for over 15 minutes. The sense of achievement is unbeatable tho.

Been out a couple of times this week. The weather has been too good to stay in. Nothing too major. 20-25 miles. Don't want to be venturing too far from home in the current climate.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Finally decided to make a bigger investment in a bike now finances can allow, and moving away from very simple riding to (I hope) more committed and long distance riding, including commuting when we get back to that point.

But silly question time, I'm now moving to clipless pedals and that world, rather than just throwing trainers and flat pedals - there's lots of information out there and it just about makes sense - but for someone whose never used that setup theres so many types of pedals and shoes to choose from...where's a good place to start?

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Well done mate! Always great to overcome an old nemesis of a hill.

Did the Burway a couple of weekends ago (I think, completely lost track of days!). It was prior to the lock down, so was out with a group. That was a savage beast of a climb. Solid pain cave for over 15 minutes. The sense of achievement is unbeatable tho.

Been out a couple of times this week. The weather has been too good to stay in. Nothing too major. 20-25 miles. Don't want to be venturing too far from home in the current climate.
    Yeah,
    felt good.
    I've been exploring round me a few times. cycled round bartley reservoir a few times, and also up to frankly beeches, where there are some awesome views.

@jlovatt, I'll wait for someone who knows what they're on about to comment.
    On matchdays, I reckon it'll be a long time before my name is darlowolf...

Quote Originally Posted by jlovatt View Post
    Finally decided to make a bigger investment in a bike now finances can allow, and moving away from very simple riding to (I hope) more committed and long distance riding, including commuting when we get back to that point.

But silly question time, I'm now moving to clipless pedals and that world, rather than just throwing trainers and flat pedals - there's lots of information out there and it just about makes sense - but for someone whose never used that setup theres so many types of pedals and shoes to choose from...where's a good place to start?
    I use MTB metal cleats. Pedals are about £20 and I use B-Twin shoes which cost about £30. They are easy to fit (make sure you grease the metal cleats before putting them in the soles of your new shoes.

The pedals are usually set to medium tension to start with. You can take that down to quite loose with a turn of an allen key whilst you're learning to use the new system.

If you have a turbo trainer I advise to use your pedals on that first as you can practice clipping in and out without falling off your bike.

If you don't then I suggest doing one foot at a time clipped in and practise stationary!!

When you start getting the hang of it you will fall over at some point as you take the wrong foot out at a junction. You'll feel a plum and almost everybody has done this. Learn how to fall off a bike!

Once you get used to it the difference between clipped in and using trainers is incomparable. Enjoy.

I use SPD-SL style pedals on both my road bikes. Not sure why. Always have and all the other roadies I know use the same. Decathlon have some decent options for shoes, their own brand BTwin and a few Shimano options. Problem I have is wide feet which a lot of cycling shoes don't cater for. Ended up spending a fair amount on my shoes last time I upgraded. Around £200 I think.

Another vote for SPD-SL. Get yellow cleats as most “float”.
    Don’t know enough about about MTB SPD pedals, but if your planning on using your bike for long road rides then get The right pedals (SPD-SL, particularly as they are about £30 and I imagine you’ve invested considerably more than that in your bike.

But If you do mountain biking as well and want a dual purpose shoe/cleat then get MTB pedals.

And yes, you will fall off your bike at a standstill, more so commuting when you have to stop unexpectedly!
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Definitely yellow cleats as they allow your foot some movement, six degrees IIRC. You can get other colours but they don't allow you as much which could/will cause you problems in terms of pain and potential injury, unless you have perfect souplesse. Also, consider slackening off the pedal/clip/whatever you want to call it as that will make it easier to pop your foot out and avoid those comedy slow sideways falls with you attached to the bike that only tend to happen with an audience.

Cheers guys, much more mixed replies elsewhere online - in fact slightly in the other direction. I'm going to be doing a fair bit of commuting in London in the longer term - so it seems like the SPD cleats might be better for that purpose, and then the opposite for longer rides.

Either way, when we do get back to it (and even now) I'm saving a tonne by not commuting on the tube so might just get both. It's useful to hear the various views, and not particularly bothered about falling off - I grew up with motorbikes and horses so have plenty of that experience!!

I'm looking forward to the extra power either way!

I use these they're not your usual MTB pedals and I use these shoes. I find them easier to walk in than standard road shoes and the metal clips mean the last a lot longer. Useful when you're commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    I use these they're not your usual MTB pedals and I use these shoes. I find them easier to walk in than standard road shoes and the metal clips mean the last a lot longer. Useful when you're commuting.
    Yeah for pretty much exactly the same reasons I've gone for something similar to that to start with. Just the gluttony of info online for a newbie means it took a whole evening to figure that out!

Question for those more knowledgeable than me, so pretty much everyone.

Been doing quite a bit of road cycling best few weeks, now its much quieter. I use a hybrid bike I bought (& used) for commuting. I'm wondering if I should invest in a road bike? I've generally avoided road riding for pleasure, but have really enjoyed it and with it very unlikely that I will be (ever) going back to work in an office it might be good to get a proper road bike.

Will I see much benefit in changing from a hybrid to a road bike? I won't be spending a huge amount of money (probably max £600) and will not be doing it seriously!
    )

I'd stick with the hybrid,there's a bit more flexibility with it,road bikes go fast that's it.

Mind you I'm using a 25 year old mountain bike,with racks and panniers on it,great for getting shopping with,carrying stuff I need for work,towing the trailer when I do the occasional bike repair work
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Road bike for the win. You could get something decent second hand for £600. It'd be loads lighter than your hybrid which makes a huge difference. I love drop handlebars, even tho I spend 90% of my time on the hoods. The hand position is far more natural and comfortable. Look at how your hands hang naturally. It's side on to your body - which is the same orientation as hoods/drops.

There are some good buying and selling road bike groups on FB.

There are some good buying and selling road bike groups on FB.
    Yes been looking on there just. Just need to work out how to buy it without the wife killing me. I'm still in two minds - I like the flexibility of hybrid and the ability to do some mild off-roading when the mood takes me.
    )

Take a look at gravel bikes. They can be set up with wider tyres due to having disc brakes and bigger clearances at the rear stays.

I’ve recently bought a road/cyclocross bike for less than £250 which I sourced through a local velo club but there are tons on Facebook.

Heading out for the first time tomorrow!
    #prayforJohnny75

Tweet.

Went out yesterday and there were noticeably more cars on the road, with a corresponding increase in the number of idiots driving them. Three near misses in the space of an hour. Cycling is back to how it used to be.

I think we've missed the boat to get people cycling more,We had the perfect chance to get protected cycle lanes in,or at least get them started,blocked roads off to make them cycling/pedestrian access only before the traffic comes back,it would have kept people working,and motorists would have had to adapt when they come back out
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

FAO Tredman

FAO Tredman

I’m going to end up spending way more money than I planned. And when my wife questions the reasons I’m going to say it was YOUR fault.
    )

That's fine with me.

Been doing a lot of research about gravel bikes. They look ace. Some decent ones new for around the £1k Mark.

Now on our company intranet looking at another bike to work scheme....
    )

I would recommend Boardman, but I'm worried about them at the moment. Website seems to have gone down, Cycle Republic (their main outlet) has gone under and has hardly no stock, and Halfords only has their budget range available.

Chris Boardman has been giving away bikes to NHS staff who have had theirs stolen and he's recently tweeted that they have no more left. Also the Boardman wind tunnel is closing down.

Website seems to work for me? Cycle Republic hasn't gone under, rather Halfords decided to get rid of that branch of the business. Half of the stores have already been purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat del combate View Post
    Website seems to work for me?
    The Boardman Bikes site?

Cycle Republic hasn't gone under, rather Halfords decided to get rid of that branch of the business. Half of the stores have already been purchased.
    Tomatoes, tomatoes.

The Boardman Bikes site?
    Aye.

Aye.
    Yeah back up for me too now. Was down for about 24 hours.

How are you liking your SLR mate?

It's lovely, how about you? I need to take it to the mechanic because there's a small indexing problem in top gear whereby it only goes in if you stop pedalling momentarily, so no good in a sprint situation but aside from that, no complaints. It holds speed as well - easily and happily 20mph+ on flatter sections - so Strava PRs are coming down, although that may also be down to the hours on the turbo.

The tyres that it came fitted with were very prone to puncturing though so I fitted some Continental GP 5000s on Saturday which shredded my hands as I had to manually get the last bit of the tyre over the rim rather than try to use levers. The temperature difference between that area and the rest of the rubber was somewhat noticeable.