Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Velotard Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat del combate View Post
    Worn chain is my guess.
    This. Or worn teeth on the cassette. That was causing slipping on mine in the summer.

Probably worn chain,get a chain checker for about a fiver,bit of metal that if it fits between the links on the chain,tells you when your chain is worn
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Fuck, hope not. Only bought the fecker in january... Only do 35 miles a week too.

PS thanks for the replies all. Will examine it over the weekend. We have a service place at work where I might take it to (can get a free annual service here).
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

35 miles a week by, let's be generous and say 45 weeks, is over 1,500 miles, mate. That's a fair way and I'd expect to see components such as a chain start to wear out by then. Also depends on how well you've looked after it.

If you're not looking after it,a chain wears pretty quick,use the bike often enough it becomes a consumable,like tyres and brake pads,you've done about 1400 miles,could be not far off its last legs tbh
    Last edited by Keef; 1st December 2017 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Beaten by wombat who said the same

So LJ is now feeling pretty good about himself having pedalled enough miles to wear out his bike.

Appreciate all the replies folks. Have tried to look after the bike as well as I can, but I'm a novice, so it really helps learning this stuff from you. Will have a proper look at it next week.
    Appreciate everyones suggestions as to what to look at on the bike too. Will look at the chain and cassette, and get it fixed over the christmas shutdown.

Or, he's tearfully gazing at his cassette which is now nothing but a toothy cone of grinding paste.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Appreciate all the replies folks. Have tried to look after the bike as well as I can, but I'm a novice, so it really helps learning this stuff from you. Will have a proper look at it next week.
    Appreciate everyones suggestions as to what to look at on the bike too. Will look at the chain and cassette, and get it fixed over the christmas shutdown.
    Get the following:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-driv...cleaner-500ml/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-wate...500ml-aerosol/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-5-cleaning-brush-set/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-dry-lube-120ml/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-wet-lube-120ml/

And then rejoice in getting your cassette as bright and shiny as it was when new, as I do.

If you want to have a bash at fixing it yourself,
    Park tools
    R j the bike guy on YouTube are great channels and the halfords tool kit is a good starting point

Aldi usually have all the "Muc-Off" products in stock when they have a cycling promotion.

Getting closer to my 50k/30kph (average) target: did 55/29 yesterday. I need to cycle more though as my lower back gives up after 45-50k and affects how much effort I can put in.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Getting closer to my 50k/30kph (average) target: did 55/29 yesterday. I need to cycle more though as my lower back gives up after 45-50k and affects how much effort I can put in.
    Does it not just depend on the route and gradients?
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

This was flat and I was smashing a big gear going for some PBs (haven't Strava-d it yet so don't know if I achieved anything), so I reckon I spent 40-50% of the time in the drops going hard. The ride prior was hillier and I didn't have the discomfort, so I think it's a link between effort/over-exertion and body position.

This was flat and I was smashing a big gear going for some PBs (haven't Strava-d it yet so don't know if I achieved anything), so I reckon I spent 40-50% of the time in the drops going hard. The ride prior was hillier and I didn't have the discomfort, so I think it's a link between effort/over-exertion and body position.
    This is probably a daft question but did you stretch your hamstrings our properly before your ride?
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Yup. Hold a stretch on each leg for a full minute, plus recently some work on loosening the sciatic nerve. Although it's an ongoing thing as I see an osteopath regularly: I have a hip which drops, tight hamstrings and thoracic outlet syndrome which might be connected to the former.

Yup. Hold a stretch on each leg for a full minute, plus recently some work on loosening the sciatic nerve. Although it's an ongoing thing as I see an osteopath regularly: I have a hip which drops, tight hamstrings and thoracic outlet syndrome which might be connected to the former.
    That was my first thought, especially when you are in a riding position (fnarr). At the risk of going full 'matron' have you had a proper sports massage on your legs and back.

Not full sports, no, although I do have a full-body massage once a month which often spends a bit of time on my legs.

Thanks for the recommendations stoo.

another question, how bad are road bikes in ice/snow. always had a mountain bike before, so managed when the temps dropped. Did have 1 occasion last winter where the bike went from under me.
    debating whether i need to plan for possibly walking to work tomorrow...

Iím come off my mountain bike plenty of times in the snow/Ice back in the day delivering papers. If ever Iím on my road bike out in the rain Iím very cautious, certainly wouldnít take a corner quickly. Youíre on slicks at the end of the day
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Dropping your tyre pressures might help a bit, Lemon, other than that I'd say it's much the same as driving: No sudden movements or acceleration/deceleration.

Personally I leave the road bike at home on potentially icy days. I've come off a couple of times, once quite nastily. It's just not worth the risk.

Mountain bike in the snow, fat tyres at low pressure - now that's lots of fun.

Thanks everyone.
    Took wombats advice. Handy that currently there isn't ice, just snow. Set off 15 mins earlier than usual, and took it very slowly.
    I might keep em peeled on ebay or summat for a cheap mountain bike for inclement weather.

Made the mistake of trying to cycle in this morning. Fook!
    Went 200yards, approach to an island, bike just went. Luckily, landed on my back, and my rucksack/lunch absorbed the blow. (My lunch was flat when I ate it just )
    Really bad decision. There was a bus next to me, fortunately stationary.
    Anticipate I'll be walking to work next week...

In other news, the new lights are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Made the mistake of trying to cycle in this morning. Fook!
    Went 200yards, approach to an island, bike just went. Luckily, landed on my back, and my rucksack/lunch absorbed the blow. (My lunch was flat when I ate it just )
    Really bad decision. There was a bus next to me, fortunately stationary.
    Anticipate I'll be walking to work next week...

In other news, the new lights are really good.
    Glad you're OK LJ.

Ouch, sounds nasty mate. Glad you didn't cause more damage to yourself.

On a selfish note, I'm really hoping the weather thaws out by next week so that I can finally clock in my 3,000th mile of the year....

Pride hurts more than anything fellas. I have learned to inspect the outside world, rather than just "go for it" in future.
    Definitely lucky though.
    Appreciate the thoughts/comments.

Oh, and my helmet works cracking! However, I now am going to need to change it. Any recommendations?
    I also went to get the bike serviced this am. Looks like I need a new chain and cassette. Can get both done at work for £49. Thinking I might just get it done there if that isn't a rip off.

What bike you got mate?

Can you get the same model helmet?