Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Velotard Thread.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5...d_8322799.html

It's gone up in price since I bought it.
    Where was the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    Can you get the same model helmet?
    Dunno. To be honest it was a cheapish version from halfords, and was thinking I might need a better quality one - the chin strap isn't great.
    Parents have offered to get me the lights/helmet for christmas, but the back light went a week ago, so I had to get new ones.
    With the safety stuff, not bothered about skimping, as I want to be seen/safe/protected.

Helmet wise I'm using a bern Allston,good ventilation,flip up peak,covers a lot more of your head than the racing helmets,and get you showing off that you've worn a cassette and a chain out!
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

Probably not been cleaning it too well that is the cause tbh. Definitely following wombats recommendations to start taking better care of everything.

machin05 is offline MURDERS BADGERS. PTG Dogsbody and Spreadsheet MasterN3rd
    Well, the new cassette will cost about 20 for a Shimano one - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-hg50-9-speed-cassette (You need the 12-25 one)

A new chain is about a tenner - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-hg53-9-speed-chain/

Then you'll need a lock ring tool, about a fiver - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-cass...tool-one-size/

And a chain whip, another fiver - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-chain-whip-one-size/

Oh, and a chain tool to cut your new chain to length, cheapest one is 8 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-unive...-breaker-tool/

So an extra 2 for someone to fit it all is pretty good value, IMO.
    Socks before or after trousers, but never before pants. That's the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
    Probably not been cleaning it too well that is the cause tbh. Definitely following wombats recommendations to start taking better care of everything.
    Where do you store it? Indoors?

Dunno. To be honest it was a cheapish version from halfords, and was thinking I might need a better quality one - the chin strap isn't great.
    Parents have offered to get me the lights/helmet for christmas, but the back light went a week ago, so I had to get new ones.
    With the safety stuff, not bothered about skimping, as I want to be seen/safe/protected.
    It's up to you really. All helmets have to pass the same test (BS EN 1078:2012+A1:2012) regardless of whether they are 5 or 50. If you find a helmet with a Snell B90 or B95A sticker in that is the best standard out there.

You are then down to fit, comfort, vision and weight and that is purely a subjective decision. I would buy a helmet that feels good with and without a hat/ cap/ beanie (our beanies are still in bloody China - goddamn you Christmas consumerism or I'd send you one) so adjustable straps are a very good thing. Also look at what you do, if it's for commuting then I would go for a full coverage helmet as aerodynamics aren't really important to you but the rain is!

Be aware that a bike helmet is there to prevent catastrophic injury (skull fracture) not a concussion and if that if you do come off and see stars this is a concussive symptom so do not get back on your bike for a good 30 minutes.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Well, the new cassette will cost about 20 for a Shimano one - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-hg50-9-speed-cassette (You need the 12-25 one)

A new chain is about a tenner - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-hg53-9-speed-chain/

Then you'll need a lock ring tool, about a fiver - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-cass...tool-one-size/

And a chain whip, another fiver - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-chain-whip-one-size/

Oh, and a chain tool to cut your new chain to length, cheapest one is 8 - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-unive...-breaker-tool/

So an extra 2 for someone to fit it all is pretty good value, IMO.
    Thanks mate. Plus the time I'd save, as can leave it with them whilst I'm working to do it. And I have zero confidence in my personal mechanic abilities!

Where do you store it? Indoors?
    Yep, lives in the garage. Plus, it lives in my office at work, as the elements are the worst for causing degrading.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny75 View Post
    It's up to you really. All helmets have to pass the same test (BS EN 1078:2012+A1:2012) regardless of whether they are 5 or 50. If you find a helmet with a Snell B90 or B95A sticker in that is the best standard out there.

You are then down to fit, comfort, vision and weight and that is purely a subjective decision. I would buy a helmet that feels good with and without a hat/ cap/ beanie (our beanies are still in bloody China - goddamn you Christmas consumerism or I'd send you one) so adjustable straps are a very good thing. Also look at what you do, if it's for commuting then I would go for a full coverage helmet as aerodynamics aren't really important to you but the rain is!

Be aware that a bike helmet is there to prevent catastrophic injury (skull fracture) not a concussion and if that if you do come off and see stars this is a concussive symptom so do not get back on your bike for a good 30 minutes.
    Thanks Johnny, I'd been considering a full coverage helmet as it pretty much is just general commuting. I had loads of good intentions, but time is a factor. I do have a thin hat I wear in the cold, as some mornings my more exposed than I'd like scalp really feels the cold!

I also need to spend christmas learning better tips for cycle maintenance, chain maintenance and so on.

If you're storing it inside then you just need to make sure you keep the drive train clean, especially after riding in the wet. It'll be the saltwater splashing up off the road that will fuck your gears up.

I also need to spend christmas learning better tips for cycle maintenance, chain maintenance and so on.
    Park tool on you tube is the best site bar none,covers everything and in simple terms,their blue book on maintenance is good as well.
    The other trick with bike maintenance if you try and then balls it up,is to tell the bike shop your mate said he knew what he was doing when he said he'd fix it
    See post #5516 of ex wolf watch to find out why in my house,i hate Kenny Miller

If you're storing it inside then you just need to make sure you keep the drive train clean, especially after riding in the wet. It'll be the saltwater splashing up off the road that will fuck your gears up.
    cheers fella
    Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    Park tool on you tube is the best site bar none,covers everything and in simple terms,their blue book on maintenance is good as well.
    The other trick with bike maintenance if you try and then balls it up,is to tell the bike shop your mate said he knew what he was doing when he said he'd fix it

GCN on YouTube have got some decent videos on maintenance and bike cleaning.

GCN also have some excellent videos on appropriate cycling attire and nutrition. Back to Machin's note, though, and do not fear the pressure washer: anyone who says it'll mess with your bearings is wrong, as GCN themselves proved.

Clocked in my 3,000th mile of the year this morning.

The first 4 is a series of fnarrs, surely. But fair play to you mate.

Had my chain & cassette replaced. Charged me 45, so less than the costs of a chain & cassette as sourced by the good folk of TWF, so bargain! I also think I now have an extra gear/3 gears, which feels odd.
    After payday I will be investing in the good stuff wombat recommended for keeping ones chain and cassette in a clean and healthy state.

You wouldn't have an extra gear unless they changed the shifters too... They might have put a wider range cassette on there maybe, which gives you a greater range of gear ratios??

Feels good have a new drive train, don't it.

Feels awesome! Need to get it recalibrated, as the small inside cog on the pedals appears inaccessible at the moment when I try shifting into it.
    It was frosty this morning. I really wanted to go for it on the way to work (it's downhill) to see how fast I could go. We're all just little kids at heart really aren't we

I always fnarr when I see the road signs "humps for 2 miles".
    Oh my god! Whitney's dead? How's Michael Jackson taking it?

Feels awesome! Need to get it recalibrated, as the small inside cog on the pedals appears inaccessible at the moment when I try shifting into it.
    You don't need that one!

It will be you limit screw that needs adjusting. Search on GCN's YouTube channel for front derailleur setup videos. All you'll need is a screwdriver and maybe an Allen key to tighten the cable in the clamp.

Yeah, I'd query if they put a cassette with ore gears on it, or if this new one has a wider range. I've got 11-32 on mine because I like going fast and am shit at going up hills, whereas one could have 11-25 for the same number of gears.

I hope LJ reads your tip about recalibration before he sets off, Machin, for it would be terrible if he got stuck in high gear on the big ring and have to get up a stiff climb on the way home...

Wouldn't it just!

You don't need that one!

It will be you limit screw that needs adjusting. Search on GCN's YouTube channel for front derailleur setup videos. All you'll need is a screwdriver and maybe an Allen key to tighten the cable in the clamp.
    I don't tend to use it tbh, but when the chain slipped before I had it replaced found it helped with steep climbs.
    I'll have a look at fixing it after this week is done, as it is dark when I get home. I'll spend sat/sun youtubing various videos, and hopefully opening a package from wiggle...

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat del combate View Post
    Yeah, I'd query if they put a cassette with ore gears on it, or if this new one has a wider range. I've got 11-32 on mine because I like going fast and am shit at going up hills, whereas one could have 11-25 for the same number of gears.

I hope LJ reads your tip about recalibration before he sets off, Machin, for it would be terrible if he got stuck in high gear on the big ring and have to get up a stiff climb on the way home...
    Journey to previous place of work on crap bike#1 had a hil I couldn't manage, despite all gear changes. I used to get off and push.
    Been considering going to see if new superbike would make it.

Oooh, what you got from Wiggle?

I'll have a look at fixing it after this week is done, as it is dark when I get home. I'll spend sat/sun youtubing various videos, try to follow the instructions but resort to beating the fucker into submission with a length of scaffolding pole and a hammer.

Oooh, what you got from Wiggle?
    Wombat suggested the following. I really couldn't afford everything just yet, so ordered some of these. Can't remember what I omitted other than the brush set.

Oh, & wombat has clearly seen me trying to do anything mechanical

Cleaning one's bike is very underrated: I get great satisfaction from getting all the muck off and restoring it (particularly the cassette) to as near as new-looking as I can get.

My Serious Cycling mate swears by keeping the chain dry and clean between rides and just a spray of WD40 before a ride. I've seen his bikes and they are always pristine.

See, I was told never to use WD40 as it turns into what amounts to grinding paste (fnarr?). I clean my bike every couple of weeks if the weather's dry, or as soon as possible if it's wet or muddy, as it was last weekend: I start by cleaning the drive train with product and brushes, rinse it off, quick dab dry, then degrease it with spray-on degreaser, running the chain through a disposable cloth until it comes up clean, then onto the bike itself with bike cleaner, brush and water. Sometimes two applications of cleaning product. Then a dry-down with a microfibre cloth, some bike spray, lube the chain according to the weather conditions, and finally clean the rims with a dry cloth as the filth they can pick up (and thus impair the fairly important stopping bit of cycling) is quite surprising. About 45 minutes working time on average.