Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Molineux Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Visage View Post
    I find that hard to beleive. If you started in May you could surely have it done by the following August?

Maybe even get a bit more time if you asked the league for away games at either end of the period.
    Original plans had as a two year project but I think the lower tier could be open after 1 maybe.
    Obviously it may have changed but it’s the biggest part of the project also considering the ground around the stand is on a slope.

Quote Originally Posted by LG Wolf View Post
    There's a thread on Mol Mix about ground expansion which is almost at 50 pages now. Lots of waffle but there's plenty of good discussion being had on it.
    There's a thread on the skyscraper forum that's been going for nearly ten years and has nearly 500 pages. That's quite good though as it's covered lots of nerdy detail that find pretty interesting. It covered the North Bank build obviously in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    A complete pain in the arse to reach if we move away from the city centre.
    The site is right on the railway line, with enough space around to build a station which would also be useful for commuting and Park and Ride during the week.

I don't think it's overall big enough mind.

Quote Originally Posted by tredman View Post
    At the risk of getting massive pelters I wouldn't mind that much if wolves developed a purpose built new stadium at, say, the old good year site.
    Not that much of a pain if, say, you live in staffordshire

I'm sure it won't happen, but you can see the benefit (and dis-benefits) when you visit a purpose built stadium like the Ricoh.
    Yeah, but for the rest of us - I have a 4 hr journey just to get to Wolverhampton & at least now when I do I know I've only got a few minutes walk - sod having to get out of town
    This year we will mainly be conquering Europe

(paused for the moment, but hopefully to be continued)

Not even close. Plus you have a listed tower smack bang in the middle of it. Stafford Road is a car park on match days as it is. It would be even worse with a ground move there.
    There are only two man-made objects that can be seen from space.

1. The Great Wall of China

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Parkins left foot View Post
    Yeah, but for the rest of us - I have a 4 hr journey just to get to Wolverhampton & at least now when I do I know I've only got a few minutes walk - sod having to get out of town
    Like LB says above you would have to do it with an integrated transport plan - something we are particularly crap at in the UK.

At the risk of getting massive pelters I wouldn't mind that much if wolves developed a purpose built new stadium at, say, the old good year site.
    Not that much of a pain if, say, you live in staffordshire

I'm sure it won't happen, but you can see the benefit (and dis-benefits) when you visit a purpose built stadium like the Ricoh.
    Like LB says above you would have to do it with an integrated transport plan - something we are particularly crap at in the UK.
    Your last comment is relevant

Your last comment is relevant
    I'm currently surrounded by a bunch of transport consultants, they would claim otherwise..

Hasn't the Goodyear site been mostly built on already?
    If you see a Possum, try to kill it, 'kay, it's not a pet.

It has and is continuing to be with new houses still going up behind Aldi further into the plot

Yeah, it would need to be around i54, which is way to far out and would end up as some weird stoke style location.
    )

Yeah, it would need to be around i54, which is way to far out and would end up as some weird stoke style location.
    TBF Stokes Ground is at a convenient location for travelling to by car/coach, the A50/A500 connects it to most parts of the City and to the M6, A34 South to Stafford or North to Newcastle. They also have a canal running by it ....
    Do not measure the wolf's tail till he is dead.....

I'm currently surrounded by a bunch of transport consultants, they would claim otherwise..
    I'm sure that they would - rather negates the purpose of them if not

I'm sure that they would - rather negates the purpose of them if not
    Is there any purpose to consultants?....other than to state the bleeding obvious and take a big wad of cash for it
    FJRWolf

Quote Originally Posted by sycophantia View Post
    Is there any purpose to consultants?....other than to state the bleeding obvious and take a big wad of cash for it
    Someone has to the design work after everyone has been made redundant or retired.
    )

Quote Originally Posted by NE66Wolf View Post
    TBF Stokes Ground is at a convenient location for travelling to by car/coach, the A50/A500 connects it to most parts of the City and to the M6, A34 South to Stafford or North to Newcastle. They also have a canal running by it ....
    Sod convenience. The great plus point to Molineux is the central location. We don't need to be in a retail park or industrial area by the M54. Bollocks to that. The footprint that Molineux is on is actually almost the same as both Old Trafford and the Emirates (bar the car parking) so we can EASILY extend to what we need without moving. Do it a stand at a time as groundshare is totally unfeasible. Either that or we hope Fosun can negotiate ASDA out of their spot and then do a new build a la Spurs (this I think is hugely unlikely - the ASDA makes a fucking mint for Walmart)

2. Low Hill at Christmas

Just rebuild stage at a time. Iím sure there is a way to rebuild it with the least disruption. Whether thatís smash the steve bull down and get some temporary seating in their somewhere whilst they are building it. If the plan is to move the SB closer to the pitch then they could knock it down, move the pitch nearer the BW. Put some temporary seating in like Blackpool did (they chucked that stand up in months), and then build the real thing behind it. Then when itís all done move the pitch back the other way to Make the space back for any future BW development.

Some engineer will tell me this isnít doable Iím sure. But it makes sense in my head.
    As usual, Wolves fans being fickle. - Waggy on the Wing

Quote Originally Posted by Paddingtonwolf View Post
    Sod convenience. The great plus point to Molineux is the central location. We don't need to be in a retail park or industrial area by the M54. Bollocks to that. The footprint that Molineux is on is actually almost the same as both Old Trafford and the Emirates (bar the car parking) so we can EASILY extend to what we need without moving. Do it a stand at a time as groundshare is totally unfeasible. Either that or we hope Fosun can negotiate ASDA out of their spot and then do a new build a la Spurs (this I think is hugely unlikely - the ASDA makes a fucking mint for Walmart)
    I was only commenting on Stoke Stadium's location, not on the merits of moving our stadium. To nail my colours to the mast, I'd be gutted if we moved anywhere else.
    Do not measure the wolf's tail till he is dead.....

ASDA are very unlikely to want to move, but there should be enough land to build a suitably sized stadium anyway. Depends on how much parking is provided - doesn't need any more than for official purposes & corporate packages.

The current site is near enough for everyone else to park in town centre options

You could bin off the North Bank car park and build the edge of a new footprint right on Jack Hayward way, plus shifted slightly over to allow extra space for an extended Billy Wright without impacting on Waterloo road. The issues with that are -

a) you are committing to binning off a five year old stand

b) you have to make the "new North Bank" colossal as you can realistically only build a u of half of the ground before having to knock down the rest.

2. Low Hill at Christmas

By just rebuilding the SB we can easily get capacity over 40k. We donít need any grand ďnew stadiumsĒ. Get that done and it facilitates a new south bank very easily to get Capsicty up to 50k. Any more than that will be excessive

Quote Originally Posted by PuntsWolf View Post
    Whether that’s smash the steve bull down and get some temporary seating in their somewhere whilst they are building it. If the plan is to move the SB closer to the pitch then they could knock it down, move the pitch nearer the BW. Put some temporary seating in like Blackpool did (they chucked that stand up in months), and then build the real thing behind it. Then when it’s all done move the pitch back the other way to Make the space back for any future BW development.
    So basically exactly what happened in the late 1970s when what is now the Steve Bull stand was built behind the Molineux Street Stand? In that case, it was literally a street behind, mind...

Molineux St.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Law's Bus View Post
    So basically exactly what happened in the late 1970s when what is now the Steve Bull stand was built behind the Molineux Street Stand? In that case, it was literally a street behind, mind...

Molineux St.jpg
    Exactly. Thereís what c. 9000 seats in the SB thereís enough space between the stand and the pitch as it is to get a size a sizeable temp stand in similar to what they have at the rec in bath. Say that gives you 4 or 5k as a temp measure. That would be ideal to keep us going for however long it takes to get part of the new SB usable

In China, a construction firm took 19 days to built a 59-storey apartment block. How long would it take them to build a new stand?

Quote Originally Posted by From Distant Shores View Post
    In China, a construction firm took 19 days to built a 59-storey apartment block. How long would it take them to build a new stand?
    A lot longer.

Let's 3d print it, won't take long then.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.

I worked at ASDA before I left Wolverhampton and don't think they'd be altogether against moving if they could secure the right site. They suffered a blow in that they can't expand the current site with a mezzanine level and can't expand backwards with North Road/Randall Lines and have already had to sacrifice a dedicated Click and Collect on the car park for the petrol station after they failed to bully the Goal Post. It'd take a lot for them to go but they've exhausted all avenues for expanding where they are and with competition as it is with supermarkets if they haven't already they'll soon hit capacity where the store simply won't be able go keep up without removing other services customers aren't ready to let go of.

Quote Originally Posted by From Distant Shores View Post
    Sure, but of course you can always build quickly when you don't have to worry about builders being injured during work, you can seize land, and you can build low-quality structures with little prior planning going into their design.

(Though to play devil's advocate to my own point, "taking longer to do things properly" also only works as long as "properly" truly is superior, and the UK is, with a few exception, generally Not Great at infrastructure projects.)

Quote Originally Posted by proslo View Post
    Sure, but of course you can always build quickly when you don't have to worry about builders being injured during work, you can seize land, and you can build low-quality structures with little prior planning going into their design.

(Though to play devil's advocate to my own point, "taking longer to do things properly" also only works as long as "properly" truly is superior, and the UK is, with a few exception, generally Not Great at infrastructure projects.)
    Those two statements don't really correlate.

The ridiculous building in China that was originally cited went up that quickly entirely because there was a shed load of prior planning and design before things got to site. A lot of the new modular building techniques aren't really speeding up a project life cycle all that much, what they do for the most part is transfer a lot of the time into pre-construction activities and leave you with a lot less work to do on site but the time from conception to completion isn't all that different a lot of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MARKakaJIM View Post
    Those two statements don't really correlate.

The ridiculous building in China that was originally cited went up that quickly entirely because there was a shed load of prior planning and design before things got to site. A lot of the new modular building techniques aren't really speeding up a project life cycle all that much, what they do for the most part is transfer a lot of the time into pre-construction activities and leave you with a lot less work to do on site but the time from conception to completion isn't all that different a lot of the time.
    So what you're saying is that Fosun could've done all of the planning behind the scenes and are just waiting for a late application nod from the council before they throw up the new South Bank inside a month.

Works for me.
    Nothing to see here...... can't offend sensitive souls.